The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Interview 1040..May 11,2017

Honky Cat

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Watched Makar net 7 points in 5 games and be tournament MVP at the Western Canada Cup last week as the best player on the ice period, in every game he played.

Going to enjoy watching him do the same in the RBC cup a well.

Then going to sit back as he does 2-4 years of college  against basically grown men before joining the NHL and shutting up a lot of people.  That kind of skill he has translates anywhere

yeah exactly what was said about Jankowski.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

yeah exactly what was said about Jankowski.

LOl

Sorry Petey, there's a world of difference between Jankowski and Makar.  I've watched makar play, that's like comparing Aaron Rome to Erik Karlsson

They're in 2 different positions, Jankowski is a slug on skates compared to Makar, his shot is crap where Makars finds the seams to get on net and makar has this innate sense to find the pass eat tape

There's literally no comparison there.

And people can whinge about quality of competition all they want, Makar IS possibly the best overall D in this years 1st round.  That's all there is to it.  Watch all the nifty highlights you want.  say the AJHL is a crap league in comparison.  Then say how Mittlestadt is the bestest because of his tournament play in the same breath

Quote it, Makar is going to be a gem of a defenseman and is (for the absolute last time) not a shock in the top 5.

Just now, Warhippy said:

LOl

Sorry Petey, there's a world of difference between Jankowski and Makar.  I've watched makar play, that's like comparing Aaron Rome to Erik Karlsson

They're in 2 different positions, Jankowski is a slug on skates compared to Makar, his shot is crap where Makars finds the seams to get on net and makar has this innate sense to find the pass eat tape

There's literally no comparison there.

And people can whinge about quality of competition all they want, Makar IS possibly the best overall D in this years 1st round.  That's all there is to it.  Watch all the nifty highlights you want.  say the AJHL is a crap league in comparison.  Then say how Mittlestadt is the bestest because of his tournament play in the same breath

Quote it, Makar is going to be a gem of a defenseman and is (for the absolute last time) not a shock in the top 5.

I played RBC cup, it's not that impressive.  He's not even the best player on his team.  If they had highlights of when i played people would think i was the next Bure.  AJHL is not that great of a league. It's been watered down by teams going the younger route, anyone who is any good at a young age player WHL, and the top 18 year olds go on to NCAA, most of those players still playing in that tourny will never move on anywhere in hockey after that. just like i didn't :(

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I played RBC cup, it's not that impressive.  He's not even the best player on his team.  If they had highlights of when i played people would think i was the next Bure.  AJHL is not that great of a league. It's been watered down by teams going the younger route, anyone who is any good at a young age player WHL, and the top 18 year olds go on to NCAA, most of those players still playing in that tourny will never move on anywhere in hockey after that. just like i didn't :(

:sadno: Condolences

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

A lot go on to Canadian colleges, don't they?  

39 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Please pick the baddest mofo with the biggest sack available at forward.

Imagine Benning heading into the draft with that written on a pad in front of him.

Draft picks:

Forwards required

• good size
  • 200 ft. game
  • good lateral skating
  • bad mofo
  • good shot
  • solid positioning
  • big sack

43 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

So at 5 you don't see that there will be any of Hischier/ Patrick/ Vilardi/ Mittlestadt available?  I'm hoping the team could stock up with a good offensive center, not another possible Troy Stecher (to be fair I haven't seen Makar play but build and play-style reminds me of Troy).

You haven't seen him play but his play style reminds you of Stetcher?  

Say that again very slowly :P 

Take the bpa at 5, if thats a D man im fine with that.

Look at that Anaheim D - Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm, Montour all young guys that can skate and generate offence.  I wont even bring up the embarrassment of riches Nashville has on D.  No coincidence that teams with mobile offence generating Ds have made it this far in the playoffs.

If they do pick up a d with #5  I hope they can move up from the 33rd pick and get Robert Thomas.

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I thought Makar lit it up at the World U-18 challenge?  Sounds like the kid could be the exception from that league?  St. Louis got Parynko from there, didn't they?

48 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

"mobile puck handling D" - one more top D pick and we actually might have that with OJ, Stecher, Hutton and maybe Liljegren as our future? Then Guddy as a very mobile #5 who can hit? Subban for a PP shot? thats looks good to me.  

OJ, Stecher, Hutton, and Liljegren would be a nice mix, especially when augemented with Gudrbranson and Subban. Maybe Tryamkin?

Listening to Benning's tone in response to the question about Makar, my guess would be that he's not leaning that way - which means he's either his somewhat transparent self, or he's shifted into poker mode - but my guess would be that he's not one of the primary targets there.

Archived