The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Interview 1040..May 11,2017

Honky Cat

50 minutes ago, LM11 said:

Best player available no matter the position.  That's how I want him drafting at 5.  I think he's gonna make the right choice.

Don't necessarily disagree, but at the same time I can't help but think that BPA every single time out lands you in the same position that Edm was in where they had a boat-load of talent at the forward position, but had a swiss-cheese defense and no one in net that was remotely competent.  Yes, they addressed both areas (d and goal), but they had to give up not inconsiderable assets/pics to get those when they could've done some strategic drafting at the right times and taken care of that all without relying on another GM being ready, willing and able to deal with them at the right time.  JB/TL have, imo, done an excellent job so far, given the cards they've been dealt, at addressing all areas of the franchise. 

40 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

LOl

Sorry Petey, there's a world of difference between Jankowski and Makar.  I've watched makar play, that's like comparing Aaron Rome to Erik Karlsson

They're in 2 different positions, Jankowski is a slug on skates compared to Makar, his shot is crap where Makars finds the seams to get on net and makar has this innate sense to find the pass eat tape

There's literally no comparison there.

And people can whinge about quality of competition all they want, Makar IS possibly the best overall D in this years 1st round.  That's all there is to it.  Watch all the nifty highlights you want.  say the AJHL is a crap league in comparison.  Then say how Mittlestadt is the bestest because of his tournament play in the same breath

Quote it, Makar is going to be a gem of a defenseman and is (for the absolute last time) not a shock in the top 5.

Done.

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Imagine Benning heading into the draft with that written on a pad in front of him.

Draft picks:

Forwards required

• good size
  • 200 ft. game
  • good lateral skating
  • bad mofo
  • good shot
  • solid positioning
  • big sack

haha! that actually made me laugh out loud in my cubicle.

1 hour ago, LM11 said:

Best player available no matter the position.  That's how I want him drafting at 5.  I think he's gonna make the right choice.

Draft is pretty much flat, 'BPA' from 3-10'ish though. 

I'm guessing (based on Patrick/Hischier gone top 2) their preffered order would be something like:

Mittelstadt, Glass, Liljegrin, Necas

Ideally, we could pick up another pick  in the top 6-8 (Tanev-Dallas package?) and grab two of those guys. Mittel/Glass & Lilj...yes please

I'm totally fine with the Canucks picking a Dman.  Like others have said, we stand NO chance against the Oilers in the future unless our D core is elite.

I do hope that next year is the year we get our franchise #1 D this team has never had, in Dahlin.  But that will take some lottery luck.  WE'RE DUE DAMNIT.

1 minute ago, Nessnuck27 said:

He is going to pick Liljergen... wants European Skill with North American Heart.

Juolevi Liljergen pairing would be great.

Get our #1 center in next years draft.

You mean our #2 Centre, said Bo :)

I would also love to see Juolevi paired with Liljegren or Makar.

I'd prefer one of the big three centremen, but wouldn't be devastated with a d-man. However, I'd only like Liljegren or Heiskanen. I'm not convinced Makar could produce in a more competitive league.

2 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

I'm totally fine with the Canucks picking a Dman.  Like others have said, we stand NO chance against the Oilers in the future unless our D core is elite.

I do hope that next year is the year we get our franchise #1 D this team has never had, in Dahlin.  But that will take some lottery luck.  WE'RE DUE DAMNIT.

Imagine we pick Liljegrin this year and lotto balls finally fall in our favour next year.

Dahlin, Liljegrin

Juolevi, Stecher

Brisebois, Gudbranson

Jebus :shock::wub:

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Is that why we didnt draft Tkachuk last year? 

How do you know Tkachuk is better than Juolevi?  Crystal ball?  People who throw Tkachuks name out there every chance they get make me shake my head.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Imagine we pick Liljegrin this year and lotto balls finally fall in our favour next year.

Dahlin, Liljegrin

Juolevi, Stecher

Brisebois, Gudbranson

Jebus :shock::wub:

And in two years, Nikita's agent contacts the Canucks stating that he would like to return....

Dahlin - Liljegren

Tryamkin - Stecher

Juolevi - Gudbranson

35 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

OJ, Stecher, Hutton, and Liljegren would be a nice mix, especially when augemented with Gudrbranson and Subban. Maybe Tryamkin?

Nik is dead to me.

(well not really but thats the most Russian thing I could think of. Still pissed)

Archived