The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev to Toronto (Scott Cullen)

2 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Can't believe Scott Cullen believes Toronto could pry Tanev away from the Canucks with Connor Carrick, Brendan Leipsic. And a first round pick. 

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/cullen-can-see-tanev-to-toronto-for-leipsic-carrick-pick-1.749237

I guess you missed his TSN team off season review where he slotted them in to his projected lines.  We covered how laughable that was.

But we also covered how Toronto makes a lot of sense based on Tanevs age, being an RHD their need for a D of his calibre and skill set but also the fact his contract is nice and he's a local boy.

Kapanen and a 1st or Nylander and a 2nd.  Scraps don't get it done and this is literally no different than Dregers tampering of the Sedins or his endless years of suggesting player X Y or Z to the Canucks for a return that leaves the Canucks gaping or somehow props up the most insignificant Leafs player in to a future HOF star speculations

Just now, Warhippy said:

I guess you missed his TSN team off season review where he slotted them in to his projected lines.  We covered how laughable that was.

But we also covered how Toronto makes a lot of sense based on Tanevs age, being an RHD their need for a D of his calibre and skill set but also the fact his contract is nice and he's a local boy.

Kapanen and a 1st or Nylander and a 2nd.  Scraps don't get it done and this is literally no different than Dregers tampering of the Sedins or his endless years of suggesting player X Y or Z to the Canucks for a return that leaves the Canucks gaping or somehow props up the most insignificant Leafs player in to a future HOF star speculations

If any trade with Toronto doesn't at least begin with Kapanen, I'd hang up the phone immediately if I was Benning.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

JB should take either one of those offers in a heartbeat - although I don't see Lou easily parting ways with Nylander.  Kapanen I could see being expendable in TO however. 

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

no way Toronto gets rid of a 61 point scoring 21 year old AND a 2nd round pick for Tanev. I know that they want to upgrade the right side but Nylander will not be in play

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I do not like them,

Slegr-I-am.

I do not like

TSN & Scott Cullen.

Reminds me of us Offering Raymond, Ballard and a 1st(25-29) for Legit Superstar. 

TSN will always overvalue Leaf players. That clown Jeff O'niell thinks Matthews is the best player in the league.

It's not crazy. Carrick is a 23-year old RHD with similar numbers to Tanev. Leipsic is a 22-year old LW who was over a point a game with the Marlies. In his 6 NHL games with the Leafs he got 3 points. Plus TOR's 1st. That would give us two 1sts. They're not stars, but they're young and could become good players.

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

If any trade with Toronto doesn't at least begin with Kapanen, I'd hang up the phone immediately if I was Benning.

Agreed.  Toronto has a need, Tanev fills it.  We don`t need to trade Tanev so we`re not in a rush to sell low

57 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

JB should take either one of those offers in a heartbeat - although I don't see Lou easily parting ways with Nylander.  Kapanen I could see being expendable in TO however. 

I 100% agree, if either of those deals presented itself Benning would/should jump on it.  

52 minutes ago, -Stammer- said:

no way Toronto gets rid of a 61 point scoring 21 year old AND a 2nd round pick for Tanev. I know that they want to upgrade the right side but Nylander will not be in play

As above, Toronto has a serious need.  They barely squeaked in to the playoffs, Tanev could possibly have saved them 10-15 goals against based on his defensive play alone netting what, 2-4 more wins; not to mention the playoffs.

While I don't think that Lou/Shanaplan would simply sluff off Nylander that way; he was buried for a decent amount of the season in the bottom 6 and benched a few times.

We're in no rush to trade Tanev; certainly not before the expansion draft at least.  But without question not for the return of a questionable D man and LW that at NHL ready size are actually smaller than the Makar that some people say is too small for the league; that could spend their careers between the bench and the AHL and a middling 1st that Cullen is suggesting or pushing

Edit** This isn't to say Leipsic's offensive talent isn't intriguing.  I just think he'd end up an endless project forced to play a 2 way game and end up very larsen like in vancouver

Archived