The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev to Toronto (Scott Cullen)

I really like Conner Carrick, i remember when he was with the Capital's organization 2 years ago, he was an AHL all star with the Hershey Bears.  I watched a few games when he made his debut with the Capitals, and I liked what I saw.  If anything, he is an even more feistier version of Troy Stecher.

I remember Brendan Leipsic when he played for team Canada at theCanada Russia junior challenge and how the kid was an impact player, a mini spark plug, and always involved offensively and physically.  Plus his history with Travis in Portland might give the team a jump with his hands.  However, both Carrick and Leipsic are under 5'11''.  worries me that this team is being built around very small forwards and players in general.  

If anything, based on what we have seen in the playoffs, we need more big bodied skilled players.  Hard to come by, but that is where i'd reach for if you are going to trade away good pieces like Tanev

5 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Nylander and a second would be awesome. 

The beauty of that trade would be it would cut down the "we could have had Nylander instead of Virtanen" whining!   Maybe they can play on the same line. LOL.  I dont know, i find it hard to believe shanacock would let go of Nylander (60+ point guy thats like 20 years old)

22 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I do not like them,

Slegr-I-am.

I do not like

TSN & Scott Cullen.

I do not like them (on) in my house

I will not click them with a mouse

I do not like Scott Cullen's spam

I hate TSN, Slegr-I-am

Not in my house

Not with a mouse

Not on my box

Even with a fox

I do not like them here or there

I do not like them anywhere

I will not be trolled by Cullen's spam

I hate TSN, Slegr-I-am

Tanev to Toronto for Rychel, 2017 1st (17th overall), and a 2018 2nd.

Rychel gives us size and could become a Top-6 power forward who can score 20 goals and play physically. Rychel and Virtanen on opposite wings would be dangerous for the opposition. The 17th overall pick could be used to select D Callan Foote, thereby replacing Tanev on the right side in the long run. Then we get an extra 2nd in 2018.

47 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Kapanen and a 1st or Nylander and a 2nd. 

Nylander + 2nd has a lot more value than Kapanen + 1st. Besides, no chance we get Nylander. It was possible last season before Nylander broke out and Tanev kind of had a bad year (by his standards), but not now.

14 minutes ago, mpt said:

I'd rather have quality then quantity

Yep. Don't want random scraps, we need an impact piece like the Larsson/Hall trade. I'm not expecting someone as good as Hall but 3 depth pieces instead of 1 main piece doesn't work for me.

9 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's not crazy. Carrick is a 23-year old RHD with similar numbers to Tanev. Leipsic is a 22-year old LW who was over a point a game with the Marlies. In his 6 NHL games with the Leafs he got 3 points. Plus TOR's 1st. That would give us two 1sts. They're not stars, but they're young and could become good players.

I see Carrick as a bottom pairing d-man.  Not invaluable but kinda a dime a dozen.  I see Leipsic as no improvement over Baertschi, Dahlen, Goldobin, Granlund, Boucher.  A decent prospect, sure, but if I'm creating a gaping hole in my back end, I want to see someone with more potential.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Are people actually suggesting we could net Nylander?

:lol:

Why not just trade Tanev straight across for Matthews then? xD

I know this horse has been beaten to death but what joke that we didn't pick Nylander when he was right in our laps. I wanted to destroy my t.v when I heard the other guys name 

1 minute ago, Kungfudru said:

I know this horse has been beaten to death but what joke that we didn't pick Nylander when he was right in our laps. I wanted to destroy my t.v when I heard the other guys name 

Nearly every single mock draft had Virtanen ahead of Nylander.

It's amazing how many people start claiming to be right when they have the benefit of hindsight.

Be great if the Canucks can pry out the 1st rounder from Toronto along with Kapanen.  No more with the "centre or defenseman" with the #5 pick.  Use the #5 for a centre, the #17 for a defenseman (I would choose Cal Foote) and then you have Kapanen who may be able to jump into the NHL as a RW. 

Perhaps even packing both the #5 and the #17 to the Flyers to try to get their #2. 

That's how you rebuild a franchise.  You sell high for useful assets.

18 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Nearly every single mock draft had Virtanen ahead of Nylander.

It's amazing how many people start claiming to be right when they have the benefit of hindsight.

Lots did, but some didn't and some had him much lower (for example, Button had him as a 2nd rounder which is crazy for someone who was a consensus top-10). There were major red flags around Virtanen which we rarely see for a player who was considered a top-5 talent.

I think a lot of times you can't blame management for draft picks because of how much of a crap-shoot it is but I don't think this is one of those cases.

Feel like I'm repeating myself (from other threads). 

Tanev's max value will be had at TDL. This years weak draft class coupled with our absolutely embarrassing defence says trading Tanev before 2018 TDL is a mistake, especially because teams are focused on their prospects and picks at the draft (things we want) whereas at the TDL teams are focused on winning (something we won't be doing much of).  

From a planning standpoint, unless you get a "sock knocker-offer" at the draft for a guy you really shouldn't move (Tanev), you don't shop him and wait to extract max value from a team that NEEDS a shutdown guy for their cup run, and make them pay dearly with prospects and picks.

Also, Toronto can eat a big bag of d**ks for the whole being Toronto thing AND Corrado. F the T dot. F em right in the A

I don't want Tanev to be traded for a couple of AHL maybes. We've cycled through enough of those, some have hit, some haven't and its too much of a risk when you're moving one of the best defensive defensemen in the league. If he's not being moved for a blue chip prospect or an established young NHL forward, I'd rather keep him. Just another case of clueless Toronto media garbage.

Archived