The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev to Toronto (Scott Cullen)

I just can't see any team trading a younger established forward for Tanev. People have tossed out names like Nylander, Reinhart and Drouin but I can't see any of those teams willing to do those trades. If those guys ever get moved it will be for players within the same age range of them. Think about the following trades, Hall for Larsson and Jones for Johansen. Both of those trades involved players who were of similar age and pedigree. People didn't see the Hall for Larsson trade coming because no one paid any attention to New Jersey's season that year where after Stevens took over as coach, Larsson played upwards of 25+ min a night and showed himself to be a legit top pairing defenseman. Larsson's problem was always Pete DeBoer.

In any case the reason why the forwards mentioned above don't get moved for older players is because they are cheap and their next contract will also be relatively cheaper considering their RFA status. That is extremely valuable in the cap world. There has been talk of the Canes dangling Hanifin, IMO a trade like that is a lot more feasible because you get the same advantage with Hanifin. There is also the age factor to consider and a player that is 21 obviously has more years to perform at their peak than someone at age 27.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I don't know if he would do that, but if he did, he wouldn't get anywhere near the same return as Tanev would get.

I'm kind of thinking JB holds onto his dmen until he sees how the prospects have progressed.  Maybe he waits until after Christmas or trade deadline.  Of course this could change if he was offered a fantastic return!

I'm thinking all the Tanev trade talk is coming up now, because his new contract (starting in July) give him an NTC.

56 minutes ago, Toews said:

I just can't see any team trading a younger established forward for Tanev. People have tossed out names like Nylander, Reinhart and Drouin but I can't see any of those teams willing to do those trades. If those guys ever get moved it will be for players within the same age range of them. Think about the following trades, Hall for Larsson and Jones for Johansen. Both of those trades involved players who were of similar age and pedigree. People didn't see the Hall for Larsson trade coming because no one paid any attention to New Jersey's season that year where after Stevens took over as coach, Larsson played upwards of 25+ min a night and showed himself to be a legit top pairing defenseman. Larsson's problem was always Pete DeBoer.

In any case the reason why the forwards mentioned above don't get moved for older players is because they are cheap and their next contract will also be relatively cheaper considering their RFA status. That is extremely valuable in the cap world. There has been talk of the Canes dangling Hanifin, IMO a trade like that is a lot more feasible because you get the same advantage with Hanifin. There is also the age factor to consider and a player that is 21 obviously has more years to perform at their peak than someone at age 27.

Are saying that you think Drouin's next contract is going to be cheap?

1 hour ago, Toews said:

I tend to agree he won't go for a young, established player.

Any team that wants him is going to want to use him to push for contention and will move picks and/or prospects that are likely 2+ years out but not likely young, established players.

16 hours ago, Toews said:

From the discussions I have seen on HF. Leafs fans don't value Leipsic or Carrick much at all. Kapanen is highly regarded, more so than their #17 pick. Most of them seem willing to do Kapanen + or their 1st + but seem adamant not to do both. IMO Kapanen and a 1st is probably close to fair value, but Canucks fans will want more while Leafs fans will want less.

Do we need a player like Kapanen.?.last time I looked the Canucks have more than enough undersized skill players (Dahlen,Goldobin,Boucher,Baertschi)...The Canucks have the softest forward group in the NHL..IMO...Maybe Benning should start addressing those needs.

I'm actually flip flopping on trading Tanev these days...because there's going to be a massive hole in the Canucks D when he leaves (who is his replacement?)...Also,why settle for a fair trade..?..Even Kapanen and a 1st...?..Toronto wins that deal easily,because they will get the best player in the deal....If we're trading Tanev shouldn't it be for an area where we are deficient?...

39 minutes ago, 2011 said:

Are saying that you think Drouin's next contract is going to be cheap?

While I can see Drouin dragging negotiations out, he is still a RFA and he will have to sign a contract that other RFAs at his age and production rate received. Its about precedent. If Drouin is unwilling to do that, the Lightning probably move him but no other GM will pay more than the established precedent.

7 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

To CBJ: Tanev, CBJ 2nd

To VAN: Jenner, Hartnell, 1st

We could get the third Sedin twin back for every Ottawa game and tell Dion, "Suck it Phaneuf".

A year ago I would have been all over that. In fact I would have told you that is a lopsided proposal as Jenner was a 22 year old C coming off a 49 point campaign. The question for me would be which season is more indicative of his play. If it is last year Jenner is still a valuable as a big 3C but I wouldn't move Tanev for that.

Kapenen played 14 games for the leafs this season as a 20 year old and scored 3 monster goals for them in that time. I'm sure the leafs fans and management are chompin at the bit to get rid of him....

even if leafs do covet Tanev and are willing to part with Kap (+++ per some of the proposals in this thread)----which I highly doubt----but assuming they would....why would we want to buy high on this guy? You win a trade like this by buying low on someone. 

What the leafs have going for them is their young nucleus of talent. Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kapenen, Reilly

it aint the 27 year olds that make the leafs what they are, its the 21 year olds on cheap contracts. They want to keep their young core, shed any bad contracts, max out their cap on elite free agent signings and go for the cup. I don't see them trading a 20 year old Kap..... especially for a 27 year old defensive dman.

1 hour ago, cdubuya said:

Kapenen played 14 games for the leafs this season as a 20 year old and scored 3 monster goals for them in that time. I'm sure the leafs fans and management are chompin at the bit to get rid of him....

even if leafs do covet Tanev and are willing to part with Kap (+++ per some of the proposals in this thread)----which I highly doubt----but assuming they would....why would we want to buy high on this guy? You win a trade like this by buying low on someone. 

What the leafs have going for them is their young nucleus of talent. Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kapenen, Reilly

it aint the 27 year olds that make the leafs what they are, its the 21 year olds on cheap contracts. They want to keep their young core, shed any bad contracts, max out their cap on elite free agent signings and go for the cup. I don't see them trading a 20 year old Kap..... especially for a 27 year old defensive dman.

The Leafs don't think they are ready to be contenders.  They are in the development/building phase.

Babcock sat down with Dreger in Paris and gave an assessment of his team.  They need to build their depth.  They want to be at the point where they know come puck drop in September that they will make the playoffs - eg Washington this season.

He says they are just going to go steady according to plan and that it's going to take more time than some hope.  They want to build a perennial contender and not just go for it one year.  They are going to take their time to build and develop their team the right way.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm thinking all the Tanev trade talk is coming up now, because his new contract (starting in July) give him an NTC.

Yeah, I figured that.  It is an extremely limited NTC though, with him listing 8 teams he can't be traded to.  That seems pretty doable; no need for JB to feel pressured to trade him.

3 hours ago, Toews said:

A year ago I would have been all over that. In fact I would have told you that is a lopsided proposal as Jenner was a 22 year old C coming off a 49 point campaign. The question for me would be which season is more indicative of his play. If it is last year Jenner is still a valuable as a big 3C but I wouldn't move Tanev for that.

I think he could do wonders in the West in a greater role. Would ditch Sutter quickly if we got him. 

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, I figured that.  It is an extremely limited NTC though, with him listing 8 teams he can't be traded to.  That seems pretty doable; no need for JB to feel pressured to trade him.

Wow!  That leaves 22 teams.  Okay, that a really good job by JB to not handcuff himself.

I'm happy having the tanman and eagle returning to our nest.  If a gm knocks jim's socks off I'll be estatic.  But I don't want to put any pressure on Jim to force a move when we could get more longer term.  You could say what pressure can a cdc user have?  Well individually maybe not a ton but as a community we have a rather far reach.  I know Botchford travels these forums.  :) I know it!!! Lol. 

Pat cast has topics that are on these forums when they are not in the mainstream canucks news cycle.  So claiming otherwise is futile.  lol.  Botch!! :D keep up the great work. Love the patcast with you and Jeff.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

I'm happy having the tanman and eagle returning to our nest.  If a gm knocks jim's socks off I'll be estatic.  But I don't want to put any pressure on Jim to force a move when we could get more longer term.  You could say what pressure can a cdc user have?  Well individually maybe not a ton but as a community we have a rather far reach.  I know Botchford travels these forums.  :) I know it!!! Lol. 

Pat cast has topics that are on these forums when they are not in the mainstream canucks news cycle.  So claiming otherwise is futile.  lol.  Botch!! :D keep up the great work. Love the patcast with you and Jeff.

I don't mind Botch either. He's entertaining and on point with what this fanbase wants. Not sure where all the hate comes from? Tony G on the other hand....

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

I don't mind Botch either. He's entertaining and on point with what this fanbase wants. Not sure where all the hate comes from? Tony G on the other hand....

imac often has valid observations too but he is turning into Gallagher 2.0.  I am actually really starting to appreciate Ben Kuzma a lot more. his most recent 1040 interview on miller was really well done.  the province has essentially gutted their sports writing department.   

interesting to see what happens when Sportsnet gets their new radio station. :D

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

As good as Edlers been in the past for the team and Tanev currently still is they aren't needed on a rebuilding team, they should be used as chips to expedite the process. Keeping them and finishing near the bottom of the league doesn't help anyone involved in the situation. If they can bring in futures then that's what JB needs to do. I'd like to see the Canucks actually win a cup and holding onto assets isn't how they're gonna build a contender. Rebuild properly and move guys with value, that aren't young, though I'm not sure Edler has too much of it. And I know Tanev is only 27 but this team realistically isn't competing for a few years so move him at peak value. Asset management would be nice to see from this organization following up on a pretty solid trade deadline day. 

40 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

As good as Edlers been in the past for the team and Tanev currently still is they aren't needed on a rebuilding team, they should be used as chips to expedite the process. Keeping them and finishing near the bottom of the league doesn't help anyone involved in the situation. If they can bring in futures then that's what JB needs to do. I'd like to see the Canucks actually win a cup and holding onto assets isn't how they're gonna build a contender. Rebuild properly and move guys with value, that aren't young, though I'm not sure Edler has too much of it. And I know Tanev is only 27 but this team realistically isn't competing for a few years so move him at peak value. Asset management would be nice to see from this organization following up on a pretty solid trade deadline day. 

IMHO either Edler or Tanev should be moved based on the return. Experience can be a issue as we have all seen how young d-men can be exposed to early and their careers ruined. That said moving either of these plays leaves solid experience back on the d-core. Moving Tanev is my choice because of the potential return and because of his injury history. Defense was not as big an issue last year as the lack of offense.

On 2017-5-25 at 1:30 PM, TheHitman said:

To CBJ: Tanev, CBJ 2nd

To VAN: Jenner, Hartnell, 1st

We could get the third Sedin twin back for every Ottawa game and tell Dion, "Suck it Phaneuf".

Doing that deal would make us have to expose 2 more forwards... goodbye granlund or baer.

Archived