The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

European skill, North American grit

I'm sure most of you are aware of Benning's comments he made while scouting overseas.  Benning quote, "I tell my guys we're looking for European skill with North American grit." End quote.

I'm making my opinion heard.  Not too many things irk me enough to write a thread on it but this topic did.  I'm 100% convinced this wouldn't even be a story if the media doesn't make it out as a "oooh, that's not politically correct.  We should say something.  He can't say that, can he"?

Team 1040, ugh.  Sekeres. Ugh.  So politically correct it's sickening. Not only him but his stance vs Benning's comments are pathetic.

"What would the Sedins think?  How about Bo?"

We all know the Sedins are tough cookies with great hockey toughness so they WOULDN'T care.  They'd laugh if it were brought up to them.

Bo?  We all know he's slick and getting smoother by the day.  He also WOULDN'T care.

Yes I understand the media likes controversy and it could help ratings.  People might phone in more and have their say.  Maybe the radio hosts have a good show of back and forths.

But piss off please.  Benning is a solid guy.  Comes across as very humble and genuine.  Don't twist his words.  We all know what he meant.  Political correctness is out of control.  Hey BC, let's vote in sn election.  You can vote real far left. Ir you can choose quite left.  Or puck us, we're solid left backers.

Frick, I'll trade 3 Trudeau's for 1 Trump right now.  

Bugger off political correctness.  Benning is solid so lay off the guy.

BC, can we please have a conservative alternative?

Finally I love the Canucks.  Hockey is the greatest sport even with the Canucks out of the playoffs.  Personally I want Canadian skill/grit AND European skill and hopefully grit like Blues Sobotka.

Benning, you have my FULL suppor.  Say what you want. Let's make our #5 overall count.  Best player available, F or D.

Jeff Patterson just wrote an article.  I can actually hear him whining like an incessant baby to himself.  I like how he states: "While only Benning knows for certain what he meant by his comments" then goes on about the most obvious points than any moron would know.  Thanks Jeff but I would rather know what Benning meant by his comments (as painfully obvious as it is) not your lecture on stereotypes.  

I dont get why this comment is a big deal when the media always subliminally say it. ESPECIALLY during the playoffs when talking about European guys who "dont know how to win" despite have better point totals and better overall play then Canadian guys. Benning said something that everyone knows and thinks, so lets not go crazy here

Don't really understand fans getting upset.

Couldn't care less about what he said or if it is politically correct.

The only thing that matters is, what he achieves with this team over the next few years. Words don't win hockey games... unless its the refs.

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I'm confused, are we drafting Trump?

I for one am on that.  He would make a Yuuuge impact and possibly Make the Canucks Great Again.  We could use his moxie and bravado.  Plus he and Brock would bring the flow.  

Just now, Borvat said:

I for one am on that.  He would make a Yuuuge impact and possibly Make the Canucks Great Again.  We could use his moxie and bravado.  Plus he and Brock would bring the flow.  

he'd probably fire everyone and we'd have Ivanka as our GM. That Kushner guy gives me the heebies. 

Although there are exceptions to every rule and I'm not a big fan of stereotypes, I like this statement and have NO problem with it.

Rather than thinking of it as a negative, how about if it simply strives to point out some positives?  Half full vs empty glass.

Pleased to hear that this is the criteria the Canucks are focusing on...good on 'em.  Us.

Funny thing... The NA players brought to European leagues are most often recruited for skill, with the local talent providing the heart.

Benning isn't the most brilliant mind, but he's not wrong in this.

...Says this European. 

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Although there are exceptions to every rule and I'm not a big fan of stereotypes, I like this statement and have NO problem with it.

Rather than thinking of it as a negative, how about if it simply strives to point out some positives?  Half full vs empty glass.

Pleased to hear that this is the criteria the Canucks are focusing on...good on 'em.  Us.

Jim was also just giving the shorthand version of his scout's assignment. The only real mistake he made imo was talking to 1040. 

If Benning just said " we are looking for a guy with skill and grit", the media would just be like "well obviously, you dumbass". The media is just targeting the easily manipulated fans to trend towards hating the next guy now that Willie has been let go.

Should add:

This isn't highschool.  Mean girls   

WWTSD?   Likely laugh and, possibly, agree.

But the issue for me is:  is this hockey reporting or TMZ?   I am tired of the drama angle and would prefer that the "reporters" stick to facts and steer further away from (personal) opinion.  Sure, we need some of that...there are a lot of hours to fill....but when it becomes the focal point rather than the subsequent discussion afterward, they're missing/losing the point.

A good way to alienate people.   We are all Canucks...except the people reporting on the Canucks.  Doesn't seem right.  PC, to me, has become nauseating.  It's a way for people to garner acceptance.  The old Kurt Cobain quote always applies for me and I respect people that live by it:  I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not. 

Sure, maybe this IS who they are but allow Benning the same then.... to be who he is without projecting that he should somehow censor himself.  Because hockey players are delicate.   Oprah or Dr. Phil might think so, but this is hockey.  And if players can't pride themselves on their nation and traits, why then do these reporters follow tournaments that pit us against one another based on that very thing?  Passport stuff.  Oh, I see...because it is part of it.  Of course it is...so let's remember that.  Just like the "hating other teams" discussion, it's ok in sports to divide into us & them, it's based on that for crying out loud.   But don't say it or break it down?  Drafting usually does so?  We're all in this together, but we don't need to join hands and sing Kumbaya in the corner by candlelight.     Enough of this PC crap...where's Grapes when I need him? 

Grrr, crosscheck...

Disclaimer:  I apologize if any delicate flowers were harmed in the making of this argument

11 hours ago, By sea and land said:

I'm sure most of you are aware of Benning's comments he made while scouting overseas.  Benning quote, "I tell my guys we're looking for European skill with North American grit." End quote.

I'm making my opinion heard.  Not too many things irk me enough to write a thread on it but this topic did.  I'm 100% convinced this wouldn't even be a story if the media doesn't make it out as a "oooh, that's not politically correct.  We should say something.  He can't say that, can he"?

Team 1040, ugh.  Sekeres. Ugh.  So politically correct it's sickening. Not only him but his stance vs Benning's comments are pathetic.

We all know the Sedins are tough cookies with great hockey toughness so they WOULDN'T care.  They'd laugh if it were brought up to them.

Bo?  We all know he's slick and getting smoother by the day.  He also WOULDN'T care.

Yes I understand the media likes controversy and it could help ratings.  People might phone in more and have their say.  Maybe the radio hosts have a good show of back and forths.

But piss off please.  Benning is a solid guy.  Comes across as very humble and genuine.  Don't twist his words.  We all know what he meant.  Political correctness is out of control.  Hey BC, let's vote in sn election.  You can vote real far left. Ir you can choose quite left.  Or puck us, we're solid left backers.

Frick, I'll trade 3 Trudeau's for 1 Trump right now.  

Bugger off political correctness.  Benning is solid so lay off the guy.

BC, can we please have a conservative alternative?

Finally I love the Canucks.  Hockey is the greatest sport even with the Canucks out of the playoffs.  Personally I want Canadian skill/grit AND European skill and hopefully grit like Blues Sobotka.

Benning, you have my FULL suppor.  Say what you want. Let's make our #5 overall count.  Best player available, F or D.

Sedins and Bo would think that they are the players with European skill and NA grit and that's why they are still here.

Agree that it's a non-issue.

One little correction,  the reports all say the actual  quote was:

"I tell our guys we want European skill with North American heart"

"Heart" encompasses much more than "grit". Because it has a metaphorical or mythological meaning that goes beyond if a player has enough toughness or grit. It insinuates things like Euros care more about the Olympics or even other World Championships more than the Stanley Cup. And when the chips are down, they really do not care as much about winning the Stanley Cup as much as their NA fellow players who have grown up under its lore. And that the Stanley Cup playoffs really do require that extra level where even some who are only known for their "grit", rise to the occasion and display the kind of "heart" they have to win the SC. And Europeans just have not been brought up to revere, almost worship the SC as players here do. 

But...the thing is, there is truth to that, in a general sense. Of course there are exceptions. And its not that European players do not have any heart to win a SC. Of course they do. Its just that the NA players have this little bit of an edge on them there, simply for the fact of the culture difference.

JB was correct. Not politically correct, but he was right. Everyone knew what he meant. There was no need for 1040 to go on about it. And JB probably did mean "grit", which is also true and is explained by the smaller ice surfaces and fighting for smaller spaces. But he said, "heart". Which gave 1040 the ammunition they needed to blow it up into some giant mountain and fill a day with content.

Lastly (obviously, after delving in a bit further, this whole thing has ticked me off), this is the NHL.  The NATIONAL hockey league (of NA) and it's reasonable to assume that those playing here as locals do so with absolute heart (pride) as part of that.  We sing NA anthems, we wave NA flags and this is our nation so that hits close(r) to home for some.  Straight to the heart.   No apologies.

Can we not ever proudly declare that pride or confidence?  Do we HAVE to apologize every time we do?  Because someone's feelings?

This is our game.  Live and breathe it and can't live without it.  I have Canadian heart.  Sue me.

Archived