The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Province Top 10 Prospects Countdown - updated to #3

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

I'd say it depends largely on who shows up. Mr. lean and mean, or the dough boy. I don't expect my head to be turned but I'd be happy if he showed up in shape prepared to put in a consistent effort night after night. The kid could use a heaping helping of Horvat commitment, desire, and work ethic.

I find it interesting that our expectations have dropped so much over the past year (mine would be similar to yours).....

At the same time, Jake looked really good at points towards the end of the 2015/16 season.  If nothing else I'm intrigued to see what he'll look like this year. 

On 2017-5-19 at 10:05 PM, Salmonberries said:

I really hope they don't push Olli into the lineup next year. It burns a year of waiver exemption and retards development. Look where Virtanen is now. It's a really bad idea.

I would argue Juolevi is far better prepared for the nhl come Sept then Jake was in his first full season.

Jake had all the physical tools and had never been forced to play vs people his size.  he always dominated his WHL competition. I personally feel Jake had a fine first season. but this year in Utica has been very helpful to his development. 

I would argue Olli Juolevi has proven almost all he can in the ohl.  if he comes to camp a little more sturdy I think we could see some real growth. I think your concerns are valid and fair though. I hope if he does stick around he earns it and shows he can be an solid player who contributes in the bottom 3 of our d.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Olli Juolevi had 2nd pairing minutes before the season is over. I would prefer he stays lower but you know how injuries can affect this team.  I hope Travis Green can better utilize and keep our players healthy.  

practice schedules. player utility, and proper rest periods can make all the difference in the world.  playing in the far west isn't easy arguably the most challenging in Vancouver but I feel he can help midgate those injuries by rolling 4 lines and properly distributing responsibilities between all players.

travis is lucky he is inheriting a far better stocked nhl team with lower performance expectations.  he will ask all of his players but the focus will be development not just of the player but also the team.  teaching young guys the right way. that's why I feel he is the perfect hire.  we will be coming back barring no injuries the same team as last year but with more youth and better developed youngsters in the Horvats of the team.

fun times :D

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I would argue Juolevi is far better prepared for the nhl come Sept then Jake was in his first full season.

Jake had all the physical tools and had never been forced to play vs people his size.  he always dominated his WHL competition. I personally feel Jake had a fine first season. but this year in Utica has been very helpful to his development. 

I would argue Olli Juolevi has proven almost all he can in the ohl.  if he comes to camp a little more sturdy I think we could see some real growth. I think your concerns are valid and fair though. I hope if he does stick around he earns it and shows he can be an solid player who contributes in the bottom 3 of our d.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Olli Juolevi had 2nd pairing minutes before the season is over. I would prefer he stays lower but you know how injuries can affect this team.  I hope Travis Green can better utilize and keep our players healthy.  

practice schedules. player utility, and proper rest periods can make all the difference in the world.  playing in the far west isn't easy arguably the most challenging in Vancouver but I feel he can help midgate those injuries by rolling 4 lines and properly distributing responsibilities between all players.

travis is lucky he is inheriting a far better stocked nhl team with lower performance expectations.  he will ask all of his players but the focus will be development not just of the player but also the team.  teaching young guys the right way. that's why I feel he is the perfect hire.  we will be coming back barring no injuries the same team as last year but with more youth and better developed youngsters in the Horvats of the team.

fun times :D

Needless to sat we will all be watching Joulevi's camp next fall with great interest. I see no reason to rush Joulevi out of London. He has a NHL quality coach with Hunter. He has only played 2 seasons of OHL hockey. His first season his team was a high octane offense. His 2nd year Hunter played him as his premier shutdown d-man realizing his young team would not score as much. If he stays for a 3rd year his team offense should be improved and I suspect Hunter will again adjust Joulevi's use. This is great development and will better prepare him for the NHL.

If Joulevi had more NA hockey experience I might feel different. Realizing the Canucks will be going through hard times for at least another 3 years there is no reason to place this kid into a negative situation. I expect Green will do his assessment and I respect his judgment.   

On 2017-5-23 at 3:41 PM, Nancouver said:

Seems like a lot of people sleeping on brisebois

Brisebois is one of my favorite prospects.  Hes grown a couple inches and improved enough to go to the AHL and continue his development.  Captained two teams in two years, and just missed the WJC cut...he will be moving up the lists and has a real shot at the NHL...not bad for a third rounder.

5 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Some pretty strong trolling here from Botchford I have to admit. The Virtanen placement was his wink to his loyal readers.

A very irritating read.

He just wants us talking about him/the article, and it worked. Classic Botch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-15 at 2:24 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hard to compare defencemen and forwards and goalies, but in terms of importance to the future of the team, I think they're pretty close so far. I'd say our prospects rated are:

1) Demko. Clutch games in Utica, got better and better and still so young. A future Schneider/Quick in the making is better than just about any other player for this team.

2) Boeser. Proved he can score against men in the NHL. He's borderline a prospect right now, borderline full-time NHLer but we'll see.

3) Juolevi. Done nothing but go back to junior and impress, he's this system's best defenceman and best chance on D right now and in the future

4). Dahlen. Might be NHL ready, if not close, and brings top elite skill that this team hasn't seen for a while. Hard to compare yet.

5) Gaudette. Almost a goal per game at college hockey but still plenty to prove, only had 1 blow-out good season.

6) Goldobin.

7) Reid Boucher. Going to give the other kids a real push, we saw his scary good shot. 5 goals in 27 Canucks games. If he has a big training camp he could push for top-9 minutes

8) Subban. We need a puck mover, we've got one. Consistently scoring in the AHL.

9) Brisebois. I didn't like the trade or pick but he's had a huge turn around season. Would love to see what he can do in the AHL.

10) Virtanen. Only because we have to put him in somewhere. Pretty average AHL year. Hope he can get the scoring going next year in Utica, 20+ goals.

No love for Goldy?  Lol

1. Demko

2. Boeser

3. Dahlen

4. Juolevi

5. Goldobin

6. Gaudette 

7. Virtanen

8. Subban

9. McEneny

10. Lockwood/Brisebois

Archived