The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Province Top 10 Prospects Countdown - updated to #3

22 minutes ago, theminister said:

His ceiling is still Shane Doan IMHO.

The career trajectory hasn't deviated much at all. There is still time.

It would be important that he's able to contribute at a 20 goal pace by the following season to stay on target. 

It'd be hard pressed to convince me that his ceiling is Doan.

Doan at least put up 1.32PPG in the juniors, and was a 1.0PPG player in the AHL.

Virtanen barely got 1.0PPG in the juniors, and a pitiful 0.29PPG player in the AHL.

He hasn't shown in his whole career that he's offensively inclined.

Virtanen seems to be the kinda player that used brute size and strength to overpower his opponents in the juniors to get his points.  Now that he's matched up against men his size, his offense plummeted.  I'm still on the side that Torres is his ceiling.

Just now, HKSR said:

It'd be hard pressed to convince me that his ceiling is Doan.

Doan at least put up 1.32PPG in the juniors, and was a 1.0PPG player in the AHL.

Virtanen barely got 1.0PPG in the juniors, and a pitiful 0.29PPG player in the AHL.

He hasn't shown in his whole career that he's offensively inclined.

Virtanen seems to be the kinda player that used brute size and strength to overpower his opponents in the juniors to get his points.  Now that he's matched up against men his size, his offense plummeted.  I'm still on the side that Torres is his ceiling.

Ceiling is a matter of opinion.

IMO, you can't compare WHL stats that are 20 years apart. It was a much higher scoring league on a much higher scoring team. 

In the AHL, Doan played half a season after two years in the NHL on a line with Daniel Briere. Virtanen hasn't had that benefit. Again, the conditions surrounding those stats are a bad basis for direct comparison.

Doan also didn't look like an offensive contributor until his 5th season after being drafted. We will see with Virtanen... that's why I say he still has time to meet that curve.

Like the article states surrounding Gaudette and Lockwood: Benning's top picks will be what they will be, but for the organization to really turn a corner we need to find NHL players in the later rounds and it's nice to see guys drafted later start to fill out our Top 10 Prospects, regardless where they put Jake Virtanen on the list.

12 minutes ago, theminister said:

Ceiling is a matter of opinion.

IMO, you can't compare WHL stats that are 20 years apart. It was a much higher scoring league on a much higher scoring team. 

In the AHL, Doan played half a season after two years in the NHL on a line with Daniel Briere. Virtanen hasn't had that benefit. Again, the conditions surrounding those stats are a bad basis for direct comparison.

Doan also didn't look like an offensive contributor until his 5th season after being drafted. We will see with Virtanen... that's why I say he still has time to meet that curve.

Totally agree that Jake needs a really good play maker to get him the puck in high chance areas.  A guy like Sam Reinhart might be the perfect center for Jake.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree that Jake needs a really good play maker to get him the puck in high chance areas.  A guy like Sam Reinhart might be the perfect center for Jake.

thats why i'm wondering if a line of Jake, Sutter and Goldy might work, with Goldy as the passing playmaker on that line. Sutter can help on the D side for that line and Jake could also create some disruption in front of the next for Goldy too. 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

thats why i'm wondering if a line of Jake, Sutter and Goldy might work, with Goldy as the passing playmaker on that line. Sutter can help on the D side for that line and Jake could also create some disruption in front of the next for Goldy too. 

Sounds like a good idea to me too.  P. Kane and J. Goodreau do a lot from the wing.  

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:05 AM, mpt said:

He is too low I agree, but I still wouldn't put him in the top 5.  He has very little offensive awareness and gets hurt when he plays physical; that will translate him to a bottom 6 role

i disagree, his awareness is average AND you can work on it, it is teachable.  He started to get rid of the baby fat and as he grows muscle and strength, that would be a problem and I know, I'm 6'2 and when it happened to me it took time so being patient with him is a smart thing. He's your typical power forward that needs extra time as anyone in his shoes would, I remember watching a rookie Messier who had the same problem as average awareness and look what Gretz taught him and helped chance him into.

Body fat is another thing but much easier to deal with as in strength training so I'm definitely not worried about that, I'd love to know that him and Bo are in the same workout room and Bo leading by example.

Why has everybody been overhyping Brisebois and Virtanen? Juolevi has regressed as well. He's not even the best defenseman on the Knights. Demko is going to take some time as well, probably a couple years. His fundamentals weren't there. Super agile, but you need to have a solid technical base to turn out like Schneider did. He does have the work ethic though, I'll give him that. 

Boeser should be at the top of everybody's list. 

Just now, MikeyD said:

Why has everybody been overhyping Brisebois and Virtanen? Juolevi has regressed as well. He's not even the best defenseman on the Knights. Demko is going to take some time as well, probably a couple years. His fundamentals weren't there. Super agile, but you need to have a solid technical base to turn out like Schneider did. He does have the work ethic though, I'll give him that. 

Boeser should be at the top of everybody's list. 

Juolevi didn't regress. He played well in the CHL postseason. Boeser might be our best prospect, but Juolevi is close behind.

Archived