The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

i quit - have You?

bushdog

an interesting article with the link.  it tells about the numbers of people who have cut the cable on TV's and more important

is the beating the sports channels are taking.  it's a good read

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/cable-sports-tv-cord-cutting-1.4112895

I cut the cord a while ago and have found new ways to spend all of the money I've saved lol.  I catch scores and highlights

but rarely even look for a streamed game any more.  the cost, garbage and the advertising really irked me, but mostly it was

simply the greed of these scumbags that put me over the top.

speak up about it.  why so many empty seats at the games?  check the costs.  do YOU follow them like you used to, or have

the cable pigs had their snouts in the trough for tooo long?

Sports isn't the only reason people subscribe to cable.  Now with neflix alot if people would rather pay 10 bucks for that and cancel cable. Then look at the comments on this board about the quality of our sports channels. Dreger etc. 

Why would I pay for that when it seems like the commentaries are so lopsided in favor of Toronto.

That just leaves the actual games themselves.   

It's too expensive for what you get

I subscribe to NHL Center Ice and NFL Sunday Ticket, I love watching live sports and not just for specific teams.

I recently dropped my package down to basic with sports channels and lowered my internet bundle and added unlimited data, I've been happy with my last couple of bills.

cut the cord about 2 years ago and very happy we did. We pay $16 per month for the sportsnet now service (our daughter is in college so we got the college deal for her, wink wink) and we VPN a lot of stuff from BBC and SBS Australia. And netfilx.  A few shows on apple tv and that pretty much covers it. Save about 90 bucks a month doing this. Oh and you can get our local CBC, global and CTV HD channels for free using the antenna on your tv. 

Sports became to all-encompassing is today's 'culture'(sic)..it's one of the things that motivated me to leave the continent. S'pose in my own case, I took the boycott to extremes. That was almost 25 yrs ago..but I took more pleasure in playing chess with buds, or reading a good book(last couple yrs in Van region). Stopped watching/owning a TV in about 1992.

So painting with a broad brush, I'll state simply: I was young, but society & people were much more interesting in the 1970's. Progress to some, represents a nightmare to others.

I can't imagine living without it (sadly).   Because when you're on your own, there are a lot of hours to fill.  Sports is HUGE in my life, so that's most of my viewing.  News too.

But we're being shafted with billing and I hope that people opting out has customers appreciated a bit more than we currently are.  Because there are other options...

I really hate the sportsnet take over. I was okay with CBC doing the playoff games before this. In the conference finals, i think only one game is on sportsnet, but it really sucks for the rounds before that. CBC is a free channel so if you have an antenna (also depending on your area), you could watch it for free. 

With telus satellite, you used to need to have to pay extra to get the sportsnet channels. we had to pay way moe for the popular package just to watch canucks games. however, quite recently they switched the telus satellite tv so that the sportsnet/tsn channels are included in their $50 package which is more reasonable than before. With telus optik, you still need to pay $14 for the sports option ($38ish for one of the basic packages). 

I just really hate sportsnet. I wish playoff games were just kept on cbc entirely. 

in terms of cutting cable, an hd antenna can be  a decent option for some people in vancouver depending on location. a few free channels and just stream the rest. 

when the canucks aren't playing i cut out the sportsnet package. so if there are any sportsnet games i just find a stream for the playoffs. Having said that, i still like real tv better for the most part, but it's okay for an occasional game. 

edit: when i saw the title of this thread, i thought it was going to be about quitting smoking. :P

Netflix and the Internet is all i have. Got rid of cable in 2014.

Only watched the Walking Dead on AMC when i had cable. On the net you can find links 10 minutes after a episode has aired.

Hockey and football free on Euro satellite site. Watched last night's Sens/Pitt game in 4K.

As well as Netflix, so many free internet satellite sites you can watch brand new movies weeks and so times days after they are released in theatres.

So unless they start offering free cable with my current internet i will never be buying cable again. No one should.

3 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Sports isn't the only reason people subscribe to cable.

Sports is the only reason why I still have cable. I like it more than ever now that I can watch any channel I have on my phone. 

Pro tip... Get a group of around 6 people and have one person order like 6 recivers through bell. Give them out to everyone and split the bill. You have to find your own dish and do/pay for the install but it is not that hard. Works out to be very cheap for the group.

8 minutes ago, ILL BILL NECRO said:

Pro tip... Get a group of around 6 people and have one person order like 6 recivers through bell. Give them out to everyone and split the bill. You have to find your own dish and do/pay for the install but it is not that hard. Works out to be very cheap for the group.

This used to work for Shaw cable boxes aswell before. Not sure if it still does..I had a box on a shaw employees file before lol. 

Cut the cable recently as well. Rocking a combo of NHL Gamecenter Live (comes with my cell phone for free), Netflix, and a fully loaded Kodi Android box. All that combined with super fast internet has been working awesome. I don't miss any of my shows or sports and our Shaw bill has been cut in half. 

5 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

I subscribe to NHL Center Ice and NFL Sunday Ticket, I love watching live sports and not just for specific teams.

I recently dropped my package down to basic with sports channels and lowered my internet bundle and added unlimited data, I've been happy with my last couple of bills.

Talk to me about that. I have basic cable with unlimited data, but would still like to find a way to make it cheaper. 

Not gonna lie, I clicked this thread thinking it was going to be about quitting smoking.

To answer your question, I use cable, but I rarely watch T.V. Kodi, Netflix, Youtube, ???, profit.

Archived