The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

i quit - have You?

bushdog

I basically just use Netflix and I stream a couple shows/movies over the internet. The way people get their media/news/entertainment has drastically changed over the last 10 years and cable providers have failed to adjust to the change. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years cable is dead and people just subscribe with monthly payments to the media they want. Services like Netflix and Spotify have proven that if you can provide a product that is convenient and reasonably priced then consumers will be all over it.

I pay $12 a month for Spotify and I stream music through it for at least 6-8 hours everyday so I would easily pay $15 a month just because how often I use it and it's convenience.

13 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Not gonna lie, I clicked this thread thinking it was going to be about quitting smoking.

To answer your question, I use cable, but I rarely watch T.V. Kodi, Netflix, Youtube, ???, profit.

I thought this thread was about quitting voting. LOL.

I think a lot of people can/should cut down on your phone bills. Most people are paying 70 bucks for your phone bill or more and that's way too much. Pick a cheap carrier if you want to use data.

I cut the cord and never looked back.  

Sports were the only reason I had cable.  

Once it started getting obvious that Toronto was the only team that mattered and the good Vancouver sports casters started getting fired, I didn't have a reason to keep it.   

I have Netflix and crave tv.  

I also got the Utica package this year.   

Good enough!

Live sports is a bit different, but in general if enough people cancel subscriptions there won't be enough money to produce the shows we enjoy watching. It's a catch 22 that we don't really think about. We'd never get the production values of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead if there weren't enough cable subscribers. Eventually it will all move to Internet only, but with so many ways to block ads there it seems impossible the tv revenue could be replicated in digital form, which will make the final product suffer that we enjoy watching.

I'm torn myself, because cable is really expensive in comparison to Netflix and other services, but they don't have some of my favorite shows and those ones I enjoy on TV will disappear if I cut the cable along with thousands of other people. My guess is it'll eventually go to a pay by show system where each person pays anywhere from like $0.25 to $15.00 per month (depending on popularity and cost to produce) to watch all the content of that show for example if you want GOT you pay $15 a month and you get only the GOT shows.

Cut my cable a while back, and don't miss it at all.

I have Gamecentre Live through my phone, and live in Alberta, so I can watch almost any Canucks game (although, didn't bother most of this past season). Having all the playoff games ready to watch has been great.

Other than that, just Netflix. I had Shomi, and then Crave for a little bit. I also had an HD antenna, which works surprisingly well. And I used to download a lot of stuff too. But now, I find Netflix alone provides enough content to fill all my TV watching time, and then some. I'm not too worried about not seeing any particular show, or having to wait for Netflix to have the latest season.

I cut the cord early this year and have never been happier. Used to pay $110 a month but now between YouTube, crackle, crave tv and Netflix I now only pay $25. And when the NFL season starts I'll get the package for that, but it's still a lot cheaper. And since I get gamecenter for free because I'm a Rogers customer I never have to pay for it.

I've got basic cable + sports package... I could do without the basic cable but you can't just pay for sports package alone lol. 

There's no substitute for live sports. There really isn't. 

Netflix is great, but I'm a sports fan.

we're on the brink of a new era, I think. soon there will just be services or products we pay for, like Netflix and Apple TV, and we will just buy apps specific to our interests: an HBO app, a Canucks app, Chelsea app, etc. 

start giving money directly to the products and corporations you support rather than having them make money through advertising that just doesn't work anymore

edit: I cut my cable years ago, I do miss it as white noise sometimes, or during holidays when I watch old shows/movies. I definitely would like a handful of channels (IFC, HBO, etc.), but no way am I paying for the packages and tiers required to get them

I downgraded my cable and Internet service recently by cutting my cable to limited and Internet to 25 meg.  I don't watch those extra channels, and only watched those channels for Hockey, and Hockey season was over for me at the end of April.  I still watch Hockey, but it's on CBC now as I am watching it right now.  I did miss the expanded channels for about a few hours last week when I could not watch the Capitals game.  It was airing on NBCSN, and not on one of the limited channels, which I will really think about what I want when Hockey season begins next Season, such as do I want to watch it on the Internet, or do I want to subscribe to NHL Center Ice on TV  (which the cable provider I have requires expanded to upgrade), or do I want to watch Hockey on CBC on Saturday's. 

Not a netflix fan.  So much crap on CDN netflix.

Documenty's are decent but movies are  2nd rate .

I will keep my cable thanks.  My wife has a few programs she likes to PVR and watch later when training / working out.  

Remember happy wife = happy life.  

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Not a netflix fan.  So much crap on CDN netflix.

Documenty's are decent but movies are  2nd rate .

I will keep my cable thanks.  My wife has a few programs she likes to PVR and watch later when training / working out.  

Remember happy wife = happy life.  

Yeah if it were my call cable would be cancelled in a heartbeat.  Easy to find better quality, commercial-free content online than what's on cable if you know what you're doing.  

1 hour ago, diesel_3 said:

I'm not overly familiar with G-Boxes or Apple TV.

But are any of them a good 1 stop shop to be able to get NHL Center Ice/NFL Sunday Ticket, etc?

This is the box I use for all my NHL needs....its better then an android box because none of the android bloatware is running in the background.  It runs on linux and is a pure Kodi experience. Very easy to set up with the kit from amazon I linked below. Some googling and youtube how tos should help you get set up nicely.

CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit - 32 GB Edition https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CCF6V3A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dtohzbRVQXHQJ

• 2 months later...
On 2017-05-17 at 6:07 PM, Vanisleryan said:

This is the box I use for all my NHL needs....its better then an android box because none of the android bloatware is running in the background.  It runs on linux and is a pure Kodi experience. Very easy to set up with the kit from amazon I linked below. Some googling and youtube how tos should help you get set up nicely.

CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit - 32 GB Edition https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CCF6V3A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dtohzbRVQXHQJ

Late to the party here.   Like to watch Canucks from Calgary, movies and the occasional Tv show. Would this item help with cutting my Shaw?

I was able to stream all the games last year no problem...to be determined this year. You just need to be able to stay up to date on the latest addons as so called fully loaded boxes are not available anymore and the need to be set up now....which a little YouTubing solves.

• 1 month later...

Yay I cancelled my cable service!  I went to the cable store 2x today to cancel.  First I was advised I had to bring in my cable box to cancel, so I went home to disconnect it and bring it back.  I arrive, and the rep starts to cancel my cable service, and then he says - I'm sending you a text of your service and the cost.  I'm like - okay.  Since we were sitting down facing each other... I get out my phone and we are waiting for the text... I receive it, and I tell him everything is good.  I prefer face to face interaction, and he could have showed me or told me about the change of service and cost... I thought it was hilarious and ruining the face to face interaction, but okay, sure.  I'll take it with a grain of salt and laugh after leaving. Perhaps that's the new way of conducting business with the cable company? 

Anyhow, I purchased a Roku, and am going to try it out.  I'm really interested in watching NHL games using it. 

Archived