The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban scouting Ryan Ellis

CanadianRugby

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-st-louis-target-eberle-scoring-help/

Jordan Subban packed his suitcase as we spoke, getting ready for a short trip.

Destination: Nashville.

There’s one obvious reason to travel to Tennessee: moral support for brother P.K. as the Western Conference Final resumes Tuesday night. But there’s another more subtle opportunity: the chance to watch Ryan Ellis live and in-person.

A couple of weeks ago, P.K. Subban told reporters he’d advised Jordan to study Ellis’s game. And, as Jordan revealed Monday, one other important figure made the same suggestion.

“In my exit interview [at AHL Utica], Travis Green told me, ‘That’s a guy you should be watching,'” Subban said Monday.

It is Green he will have to impress if he wishes to crack the Vancouver Canucks' lineup in 2017–18.

Ellis finished an incredible four-year junior career at OHL Windsor in 2011, just months before Subban arrived in Belleville. Ellis never averaged less than a point a game in any of those seasons as Nashville took him 11th overall in 2009. His rise in the NHL took a little longer, but he is in the midst of a stellar playoffs and has established himself as a permanent fixture on one of the league’s best blue lines.

Listed at five-foot-10 and 180 pounds, Ellis is one inch taller and two pounds heavier than Subban, who scored 28 goals in 67 regular-season and playoff games during his final junior season. He was selected 115th overall by Vancouver in 2013 and spent the last two years in the American League. There were a couple of call-ups to Vancouver, but no NHL games.

More from Sportsnet

Will he introduce himself to Ellis?

“I’m not sure. He’s a little busy right now, it’s not the best time,” Subban replied with a laugh. “But hopefully I’ll be able to get video of all his shifts from a series or the playoffs to study a little more.”

Ellis’s four goals are tied for first among all defencemen in the post-season; his nine points are tied for second. But it’s not the scoring Subban notices.

“It’s the way that he defends. He’s always in great position, always great with the stick. He plays hard and smart, he knows how to use his brain a bit more to slow down the game. I’m always trying to push the pace, so that’s something I’m going to watch.

“It’s different watching Ellis in certain positions than, say, Zdeno Chara. I never thought that way before. I always studied the best players, wanting to be like them.”

But Subban sees now that Ellis is a better model, since they are of similar stature.

“I’m still learning. I’m going to watch and it’s exciting.”

Subban will make some other changes this off-season. He’s always in great shape, but will spend more time skating than in recent years.

“You have to be physically strong, but hockey players are made on the ice. I’m also shooting pucks every day. This summer is a big one for me. I have one goal next year — to be in the NHL.”

30 THOUGHTS

1. Subban added that he and P.K. spend time during the summers critiquing each other’s play while watching video. That’s got to be some high-quality entertainment. “We’re really blunt with each other. He’ll say, ‘What are you doing? That’s such a dumb play.’ In the game, you think it’s not that bad, then I’ll watch it and think, ‘What the hell was I doing... that was so awful.’ But it’s the only way to get better.”

Okay, what do you tell P.K. about his video? “Oh, I’ll just tell him, ‘You’ve got to block that shot' or 'Your gap is too big.’” I’m betting it’s more cutthroat than that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think some cool behind the scenes info and some insight as to how Jordan is trying to get better.  I never gave him much of a shot but with the state of the team as it is, especially with losing Tryamkin I think Subban should get a shot. 

As many of us have tried to explain, he's clearly still 'figuring things out'. Happy to hear he's going to these lengths to continue to do so.

So long as he can continue to evolve his game, we likely see him get some call ups this season IMO.

I'm happy to see Jordan's work ethic is there and he still has a drive to improve himself off and on the ice - but I'm still categorizing him as a long-shot to ever be a regular in the NHL. 

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

As many of us have tried to explain, he's clearly still 'figuring things out'. Happy to hear he's going to these lengths to continue to do so.

So long as he can continue to evolve his game, we likely see him get some call ups this season IMO.

But he hasn't scored 80 goals in a season... Bust ;)

He has undeniable talent.  I always remember PK's comments regarding Jordan being the smarter player.  If that proves to be true, there's no reason he can't emerge as an NHL defenseman, particularly if his work ethic is as suggested - being smaller isn't going to be the determining factor.

He sure hasn't had much opportunity yet. I'd like to see him stay throughout preseason to have a good look. We could definetly use his offensive ability to quarterback a power play unit. At this point, I'd take some defensive risk for a team that can score more.

40 minutes ago, Slegr said:

He sure hasn't had much opportunity yet. I'd like to see him stay throughout preseason to have a good look. We could definetly use his offensive ability to quarterback a power play unit. At this point, I'd take some defensive risk for a team that can score more.

Exactly this, at least if goals are being scored the games will be more exciting to watch regardless if we win or lose.

Archived