The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban scouting Ryan Ellis

CanadianRugby

2 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Why would that be.

He could wear Stecher's suits perhaps?

Similar role. Pedan for example is not going to replace Stecher in the event of injury. Different roles, different sides etc. 

23 minutes ago, xereau said:

He is too active, way out of position way too often. He needs to pick his moments better.

Hence the scouting work.  It sounds like he wants to understand his weaknesses.

1 minute ago, Steen said:

Yeah!  Go "Dark Guy in the Middle"!

And Ellis is one of my favorite players to watch. I hope the scouting pays off.

Subban just needs a chance, and hell fast become one of your favourites too:)

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Subban just needs a chance, and hell fast become one of your favourites too:)

The guy is a hot dogger and a defensive mess.  

Who cares who his brother told him to scout?   

All this time with Green, and he still isn't figuring it out.    Why would watching a couple games make a difference?  

From the start of the year, to the end, his D game barely improved.  

Other parts of his game got better, but it just doesn't seem to get he is there to keep the puck out of the net.  

7 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

The guy is a hot dogger and a defensive mess.  

Who cares who his brother told him to scout?   

All this time with Green, and he still isn't figuring it out.    Why would watching a couple games make a difference?  

From the start of the year, to the end, his D game barely improved.  

Other parts of his game got better, but it just doesn't seem to get he is there to keep the puck out of the net.  

All true.  He's fun to watch though.  I watch a lot of the Utica games this season (mostly to keep an eye on JV) and Subban was really fun to watch.  Yes, everything you say about him is true, but I'm hoping he does learn to do less.  He could become very valuable to our team.

2 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

If he still can't figure out how to play defence after another season, perhaps consider converting him to foreward? Our team is so bad right now, I don't see how it could hurt to try something like that.

That is a waste of time.  

Years and years spent trying to teach him how to play D.  If it doesn't work you want to waste more time trying to teach him a new position?   Nope.  Not gonna happen.     This is a business.  Not a help the guy out club.  

If next year he still still doesn't figure it out, tradehim for a 6th round pick and call it a day. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All true.  He's fun to watch though.  I watch a lot of the Utica games this season (mostly to keep an eye on JV) and Subban was really fun to watch.  Yes, everything you say about him is true, but I'm hoping he does learn to do less.  He could become very valuable to our team.

He absolutely is fun to watch.   

Its like when I throw my dog more than one tennis ball.  

He goes full speed and doesn't know where to go first, but the agility and speed is impressive, even if you just end up shaking your head at him after.  

Based on the clips the OP posted, I think he's taking the right approach.  His shortcomings are all in his head.  He just needs to be more disciplined and learn to pick his moments.  I don't believe any of this racial talk.  He has just been too high risk in his play.

1. Study a player who has a similar skill set and game (size), see what makes him successful and try to play that way
  2. Subbs has the advantage of having a brother who is a Norris calibre defenseman who will honestly critique his play.

30 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

That is a waste of time.  

Years and years spent trying to teach him how to play D.  If it doesn't work you want to waste more time trying to teach him a new position?   Nope.  Not gonna happen.     This is a business.  Not a help the guy out club.  

If next year he still still doesn't figure it out, tradehim for a 6th round pick and call it a day. 

He's a 22 year old who just finished 4th in goals by AHL defencemen. He's clearly got some offensive instinct. Considering he's worth a 6th, I wouldn't even bother trading him if at worst, he'd be a Yannick Weber we can call up for the PP in case of injuries. We let Weber have a shot at forward and so did SJ with Burns. 

I understand that the odds are stacked against him but we're a rebuilding team, we can afford to take a chance and give some ice time for a couple games to try it. We've done a lot more useless things with our ice time *cough* Megna *cough*. Hell, half of our team is made up of project players that other teams didn't want to waste more time on like Baerstchi, Granlund, Chaput, and Boucher. Some work out, some don't. If we "wasted" our time with those guys, I don't see how a couple games with Subban could hurt.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

We still need a true top pairing, and we won't get that from a trade.  Draft the best defenseman available this year, unless Valardi is still on the board.  Next year Dahlen if we can, if not pick a center, defenseman take longer anyways so it wouldnt hurt to pass on this year's forwards.  Hughes is the next generational player McDavid/Crosbyesque if we get him (and Dahlen, let's be greedy) we'll have our star power...now of course we need Demko to work out but we'd finally have our core pieces.

If Subban works out, all the better.

Matt Dumba will be a top pairing guy and he's available 

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

That is a waste of time.  

no way to tell if it works or fails unless Vancouver gives it a shot. May be surprised by the results. The odds are against him but it may pay off in the end late draft picks are always a gamble but some of them manage to be stars in the NHL

Bure

Datysuk

Zetterberg

Alfredsson

Theo Fleury

Not saying he is a star quality player or anything just saying we may have something and maybe not won't know till he gets his chance whether it be on Defence or Forward. Byfuglien is a D Man but Chicago and Atlanta/Winnipeg use him on occasion as a forward.

Archived