The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL GM of the Year finalists announced

2017 GM of the Year Award  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

David Poile of the Nashville Predators, Pierre Dorion of the Ottawa Senators and Peter Chiarelli of the Edmonton Oilers were named finalists for the NHL General Manager of the Year Award on Tuesday.

Voting was conducted among general managers, a panel of League executives, and print and broadcast media following the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The winner will be announced at the 2017 NHL Awards at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on June 21 (7:30 p.m. ET; NBCSN, SN).

Poile has been a finalist for the award three times previously (2010-12)., The Predators finished fourth in the Central Division with 94 points (41-29-12) and reached the Stanley Cup Playoffs as the second wild card from the Western Conference. It's the 10th time in 13 seasons they've reached the postseason. They swept the Chicago Blackhawks in the first round and then defeated the St. Louis Blues in six games in the second round to advance to the Western Conference Final for the first time. Poile traded defenseman Shea Weber to the Montreal Canadians for defenseman P.K. Subban on June 29, and Subban has helped the Predators offensively and defensively. Forward Viktor Arvidsson, who tied for the Predators lead with 31 goals and 61 points during the regular season, was selected by Poile with the 112th pick in the 2014 NHL Draft.

Dorion was promoted to GM of the Senators on April 10, 2016. Before the start of his first season he hired coach Guy Boucher and acquired center Derick Brassard in a trade with the New York Rangers for center Mika Zibanejad. Then during the season he traded for forwards Alexandre Burrows, Viktor Stalberg and Tommy Wingels to add depth to a team that finished second in the Atlantic Division with 98 points (44-28-10) and reached the Eastern Conference Final for the first time since 2007.

In Chiarelli's second season the Oilers finished second in the Pacific Division with 103 points (47-26-9) and reached the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time in 11 seasons. It was their first 100-point season since 1986-87. Prior to the season he added depth to his defense by acquiring Adam Larsson in a trade with the New Jersey Devils and signing unrestricted free agent Kris Russell, and the result was the Oilers allowed 207 goals, the fewest in an 82-game season since 2001-02. Late in the season he acquired forward David Desharnais in a trade with the Montreal Canadiens, and he had the overtime goal in Game 5 of the Western Conference First Round against the San Jose Sharks. After defeating the Sharks in six games in the first round, they lost in seven games to the Anaheim Ducks in the second round.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-announces-gm-of-the-year-finalists/c-289468190

23 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm confused (as per normal).

Is this award based on the regular season PLUS the first 2 rounds of the playoffs? Or it is based on the regular season only and the voting happens to take place after the 1st two rounds? 

If it is the regular season only, then I don't understand why Poile would even be a finalist. The Preds were 4th in the Central this year just as they were last year. They even had 2 fewer points than they did a year ago. So what has he done to be a finalist based on the regular season only? I really like Poile but I honestly don't understand him being a finalist for the regular season only.

If it's based purely on the regular season then Dorion and the Senators all the way. If the Preds end up in the finals (CERTAINLY if they win the cup) I can see them giving it to Poile though - his moves might not have shown it during the regular season but he's built a playoff team through and through.

I voted Poile.

To be fair, I think Chirelli has done a good job and deserves the nomination.  He did much more than drafting McDavid.  Trading away Hall and Yak.  Bringing in defenders Larsen and Russell.  Forwards Maroon and Lucic.  When the Oilers were down, they were interesting to follow.  Now they're better, the hate bubbles to the surface.

Poile because he's built a playoff team with his smart drafting and trades especially the Subban-Weber trade but his best trade is probably the Forsberg for Erat trade. That 2nd move smells like garbage coming out of the organic bin. But kudos to Poile

Poile deserves it. For years of drafting well and making smart moves, then cherry on top of trading away Jones/Weber for Johansen/Subban.

Dorian has done well, but for me Poile is heads and shoulders above him.

Chia-pet, meh. I feel Pens GM is more deserving. Picks up Schultz for a song, Neal for Hornqvist trade is looking like a big win for them, Sheary and Gunetzel, where the hell did they come from, Fleury and Murray in net, Pittsburgh is getting Toronto to pay a portion of Kessel's salary to help them potentially win another cup!

3 hours ago, apollo said:

I'm voting Poile... to have the cajones to make that Weber trade... and his overall work with the Preds.

Dorion definitely deserves some recognition too.

I agree with this. I think it comes down to Chiarelli or Poile. The GM of the year is not just what the GM did for that year but leading up to that year and I think Poile is the winner here for sure.

Poile's 3 big  moves were:

1. Subban for Weber.

2. Johansen for Jones.

3. Forsberg for Erat...

Compare that to Chiarelli:

1. Draft McDavid.

2. Larsson for Hall.

3. Trade for Talbot.

Larsson for Hall was a good trade and props to Chiarelli for having the guts to make that trade but t the end of the day, he gave up superior asset in that trade so in theory, anyone could have pulled that one off. Trade for Talbot was more luck than anything in my opinion. Heated goalie market and NYR had to trade him away. 

In comparison, Subban for Weber just came out of nowhere, Joahnsen for Jones was also a real great trade for both sides but it addressed something that Preds' did not have for 20 years of existence: 1st line center, and Forsberg for Erat was a highway robbery -- I think it played a role in McPhee getting fired.

3 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

As long as it's not Chiarelli. Any idiot should be able to build a successful team when they're gifted a generational player.

except the Islanders lol.  Tavares I guess is like Stamkos a tier below perhaps.

11 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

except the Islanders lol.  Tavares I guess is like Stamkos a tier below perhaps.

Well excuuuuuse me

58 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

You're saying Stamkos is better than Tavares? I don't agree.

I'm saying they are probably equal dispite being different players.   I personally would rather have Stamkos though. but if we are measuring generational talent. I don't think we can give either of them that title.  Crosby mcdavid and Matthews have all been labeled generational talents. 

I guess Stamkos and Tavares would be a tier below unless we are expanding the definition of generational.  I think Tavares is a crazy amazing player.  just sucks he's wasting away in Brooklyn. 

Archived