The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Happy Birthday Rypien #ForeverACanuck

AlwaysACanuckFan

ryp was a guy who lead by example. some people never saw it, but this guy was a leader. it wasn't even him getting his face smashed in almost every game, to stand up for his teammates, but how he never wasted a shift. he played at an intensity that's unmatched today in this league

His fights were legendary. Not sure if I believe he never wasted a shift, as one commentor suggested, but boy could he throw them.

He'd certainly be beating any Canuck who challenged him to a pulp for the Jets today.

Happy Birthday... For me, this is always one of the first things I remember about Rick. The cajones this guy had was something else...

Taking on 6'7 235lbs Boris Valabik... 

RIP and hope you're having a great time in heaven :)

Happy Birthday Rick. You are my favourite enforcer of all time and pound for pound the best I ever saw. You never took a shift off and you never backed down regardless of the opponent. Depression is a serious thing and your death hit me hard. I connected with you on so many levels. As a former junior hockey fighter I myself have also battled things like concussions, depression, substance abuse... Those are all years behind me, but because of this I felt I knew some of what you were going through. I wish you could have found the help you needed and were still with us. You had the heart of a lion and you are deeply missed. Rest in peace Ryp. Always a Canuck. 

Archived