The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For Those Of You That Do Not Believe That Sports Organizations Tank...

SabreFan1

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban admits to tanking last season in order to get a better shot in the draft lottery.  In the NBA that means playing your young inexperienced guys and sitting or trading away your older more experienced players...

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-admits-team-tanked-last-season

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban admits to tanking last season in order to get a better shot in the draft lottery.  In the NBA that means playing your young inexperienced guys and sitting or trading away your older more experienced players...

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-admits-team-tanked-last-season

Tanking happens all the time the Sixers are showing how it's done what's it 5 straight top 5 picks now including this year or something?

Okafor,Embid, Noel, Simmons, M Carter-Williams..

3 minutes ago, The Game said:

It's clear that organizations tank. It's been well documented, and I don't think that's ever been questioned. The thing is that the players never tank, they always play to win and to keep their job.

Nobody tanks in the NFL that's why they don't need a stupid lottery there are only 16 games so every week is meaningful.

Unlike the NBA and NHL and MLB that have ample time to tank if they wanted to strategically.

Guys are playing to put out good film on their resume to compete for next year either with a new team or their own team same with coaches.

its so easy for nba teams to tank "okay, like go out there and not... run as fast? kinda just lazily ~nya~ your arms when someone has... this ball?" when in hockey you dont exactly have that luxury XD its really hard to "purposely skate slow" unless you're 3 years old on a surface where you move twice the speed. basketball has no excuse for being a princess sport it is. i dont care how much money it makes

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Tanking happens all the time the Sixers are showing how it's done what's it 5 straight top 5 picks now including this year or something?

Okafor,Embid, Noel, Simmons, M Carter-Williams..

theyve had 3 top 5 picks, Okafor Embiid Simmons and this year will be 4th. Noel was 6th overall and MCW was in the teens. They picked Dario Saric in that area too, late lotto pick up. 

7 minutes ago, PlanB said:

Everyone knows that 'tanking' is legit. 

The real mystery is how the NHL has covered up its own cheating for so long without being discovered????

Well,  when you make the rules and own the game you can pretty much operate omnipotently. 

Mark Cuban is first and foremost a business man. He even used his last draft pick few years back to snatch that giant kid from India, in hopes he would be the next Yao Ming market wise.

7 hours ago, The Game said:

It's clear that organizations tank. It's been well documented, and I don't think that's ever been questioned. The thing is that the players never tank, they always play to win and to keep their job.

Some people on CDC in the past have questioned that tanking actually happens in sports.  It's why I made the thread in hopes that those people would see it.

The players will never tank.  There's just too much money involved in modern player contracts for them to purposely do poorly.

I think the Mavericks should lose their 1st round pick as a result.

The problem with this behaviour is that it undermines the integrity of the league.

Who wants to watch post-tank job games?  Why should people pay to watch games that have been sacrificed up front to the tank lottery gods?  It's a joke.

Why should those teams that are competing for playoffs spots down the stretch get the advantage of playing garbage tank job teams with freebie victories while those teams that faced them earlier in the season are at a distinct disadvantage?  It also risks compromising the integrity of certain playoff births as a result.

So many things wrong with this approach - every sports league should be tightening their systems to create stronger disincentives to tanking.

I'm also completely against the idea of rewarding poorly managed franchises.   Management is a part of the competitive equation - gifting incompetence with franchise players is an utterly horrible practice.

Equal odds for all teams that miss the playoffs.   No disincentive for trying hard to make the playoffs.  No penalty for being a bubble team.  No rewards for incompetent and sleazy franchises.

Done.

1 hour ago, buddhahoodlum said:

I guess as a Sabres fan this is a topic you are familiar with.

Absolutely!  Although it take a little extra effort to tank an NHL team.  Murray even had to get rid of his goalies when they started to perform well.

36 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Equal odds for all teams that miss the playoffs.   No disincentive for trying hard to make the playoffs.  No penalty for being a bubble team.  No rewards for incompetent and sleazy franchises.

Done.

thats probably the fairest way to do it, I might say the bottom 10 have an equal chance, rather than the bottom 15 teams, given that true bubble teams need less help but something along these lines makes sense. 

It happens all the time, only few owners like Cuban can admit it.

The only recent tank in hockey I can think of was the 2015-16 Maple Leafs. If there's anymore then let me know. I think Edmonton just legitimately sucked.

25 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

thats probably the fairest way to do it, I might say the bottom 10 have an equal chance, rather than the bottom 15 teams, given that true bubble teams need less help but something along these lines makes sense. 

I'd include all the non-playoff teams so as to not punish bubble-teams / teams that just missed the playoffs - in fact I think that deserves to be rewarded on some level for making a run at it, the bread and butter of what makes the regular season interesting.  Those teams shouldn't be at any disadvantage for being more competitive / better built / or whatever the context is (unless they're the Oilers, Leafs, Sabres - shameless former tank franchises that should be excluded from the lottery for a number of years).

Archived