The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Cornell, Soundgarden frontman, dies aged 52

nuckin_futz

Some fan video from the final show in Detroit. The audio is pretty rough but some good footage of Cornell.

Chris Cornell’s Final Show: A Fan’s Perspective

In four decades of going to concerts and being an avid alt-rock fan, I saw just one Soundgarden show — Wednesday, May 17, at the Fox Theater in Detroit. It would turn out to be the last show for frontman-vocalist Chris Cornell, who was reported dead later that night.

However, for me and a few thousand other fans, it was at the time merely an epic concert. From the opening kick drumbeats of the first song, “Ugly Truth,” Soundgarden had the crowd standing, arms in the air and singing along with a catalog of classic grunge songs.

Cornell greeted the crowd, telling us he was happy to be back in the Motor City, echoing the tweet (his last tweet ever) he sent out shortly before taking the stage:

Throughout the show, Cornell was similarly upbeat and excited. This was not a flannel affair, neither onstage nor in the crowd, which included young adults who probably were still toddling, if that, when the band released 1989’s Louder Than Love as well as us older kids who first heard the band on MTV’s 120 Minutes. Cornell sported a black jacket, which he tossed aside by “Black Hole Sun,” the fifth song into the set, to reveal a gray T-shirt. He moved fluidly, bobbing his tight crop of curls, twirling his mic stand, and flailing about with his guitar.

But that voice. Oh, that voice is (was) a golden gift. On Wednesday, Cornell’s lyrics sounded simply spectacular, lulling fans with his dark opening lines of “Outshined” and then delivering the shrilling high notes of staple songs “Burden in My Hand” and “The Day I Tried to Live.” They felt like lightning bolts to the heart.

I don’t want to speculate on what Cornell’s death means for the rest of the band — it’s probably not good. Soundgarden, well into their spring tour, still have six more dates scheduled.

For their part, guitarist Kim Thayil, bassist Ben Shepherd, and drummer Matt Cameron played phenomenally on Wednesday as well. Thayil’s rolling riffs, as displayed on “My Wave,” defined this hard-charging show. Meanwhile, Shepherd’s bass and Cameron drums provided the power for much of the set.

As a threesome, Thayil, Shepherd, and Cameron played a brief midset instrumental, showcasing their talents both solo and then collectively, before Cornell rejoined the band and tore into “Been Away Too Long.”

Cornell did take some time to banter with the crowd and introduce some of the songs, such as lesser-known tunes “Mailman” (about a post office shooting) and “Kickstand.” But possibly the most notable moment of the show came as Soundgarden closed out their main set with “Jesus Christ Pose.” At the close of the song, as the music faded, Cornell stood at center stage, guitar in one hand and mic stand in the other, and crossed them to form a haunting crucifix-like silhouette. (And, I’m sorry, while I got many great photos from the fifth row, I did not get one of that.)

After the band’s encore, which included the searing “Rusty Cage,” I left the Fox thinking that this may well have been the best concert I have seen. It was, indeed, a great show. But for me and the 5,000 or so other fans at the Fox on Wednesday, we paid witness to what likely will be the last performance for one of the greatest bands that came out of Seattle in the late ’80s/early ’90s.

And we can say we were a part of the last few hours of one of music’s strongest voices.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/chris-cornells-final-show-fans-perspective-140458342.html

There's lots of Youtube clips from the show in the link.

OK, tried to compose myself ... cried on the way to work.  Hit hard.

Music, for me, isn't about "oh I love that song". It's a deep to my core thing.  When I've been in my darkest places and all alone, music was there with me. In the wee hours, confused and terrified. It didn't cheer me up, but it connected to me. Spoke MY words, in a way I couldn't. Those voices soothed me, as they knew my pain, spoke my pain.

I still remember exactly where I was. Kurt. Andrew. Layne.

Now Chris.

It doesn't seem fair. When there is so little good in the world, that we lose a bit of it. That's how I feel. I try to stay positive, BE positive, but today I just can't.

His was a lovely gift to all of us. And I will savour and cherish his sound forever.

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

OK, tried to compose myself ... cried on the way to work.  Hit hard.

Music, for me, isn't about "oh I love that song". It's a deep to my core thing.  When I've been in my darkest places and all alone, music was there with me. In the wee hours, confused and terrified. It didn't cheer me up, but it connected to me. Spoke MY words, in a way I couldn't. Those voices soothed me, as they knew my pain, spoke my pain.

I still remember exactly where I was. Kurt. Andrew. Layne.

Now Chris.

It doesn't seem fair. When there is so little good in the world, that we lose a bit of it. That's how I feel. I try to stay positive, BE positive, but today I just can't.

His was a lovely gift to all of us. And I will savour and cherish his sound forever.

So true, Deb. This is hitting me very hard. In waves. Just devastated by his passing. 

I have never been able to put my grief into words as eloquently as some here have done. I don't know about you guys but I plan on doing what I always do when dealing with something sad, drink my sorrows away. The reports that this might have been a suicide are bothering me even more.

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

I have never been able to put my grief into words as eloquently as some here have done. I don't know about you guys but I plan on doing what I always do when dealing with something sad, drink my sorrows away. The reports that this might have been a suicide are bothering me even more.

I've cried, played some music, and am going to exercise now. Not sure what the rest of the day holds though. Still trying to wrap my head around the loss and just hope that Chris is at peace. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Throughout the deepest pits of despair and depression in my life, Soundgarden and Chris Cornell's voice have been a constant that kept me from falling off the edge. This is heartbreaking to me. 

I don't want to be too blunt (;)), but maybe that's been part of the problem? Trying to find solace from depression and suicidal thoughts by immersing yourself in music about depression and suicidal thoughts from a guy who was depressed and had suicidal thoughts may be counterproductive.

Perhaps it's time to try something new? There's always tomorrow, and there's always a new path.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I've cried, played some music, and am going to exercise now. Not sure what the rest of the day holds though. Still trying to wrap my head around the loss and just hope that Chris is at peace. 

An old friend reached out to me earlier, she's really hurting. I am calling a few mutual friends, going to meet up later and just hang out, listen to some music. I was looking forward to watching the Preds-Ducks game but that just seems like such an afterthought now.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I don't want to be too blunt (;)), but maybe that's been part of the problem? Trying to find solace from depression and suicidal thoughts by immersing yourself in music about depression and suicidal thoughts from a guy who was depressed and had suicidal thoughts may be counterproductive.

Perhaps it's time to try something new? There's always tomorrow, and there's always a new path.

I'm fine now. That was years ago.  Soundgarden's music was a lifesaver. I'll never understand why some people feel the need to be a counselor on these boards...

11 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Sorry to chime in, but I get it (Blunt's take).  I know you meant well, but it is hard for some to understand.

It (this music) provided a release for me...worked me through stuff.  Gave clarity and let stuff pour out that needed to.  It's a feeling of NOT being alone when you really may be.

Sometimes, in the wee hours where silence was deafening and allowed thoughts to terrify me.  It was comfort.  It can ease you through the tunnel of darkness...takes your hand and goes with you.  At least that's how it is for me.  

I used to find it impossible NOT to listen to the music I so desperately needed when I so desperately needed it.  Like now...

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Sorry to chime in, but I get it (Blunt's take).

It provided a release...worked me through it.   It's a feeling of NOT being alone when you really may be.

Sometimes, in the wee hours where silence was deafening and allowed thoughts to terrify me.  It was comfort.  It can ease you through the tunnel of darkness...takes your hand and goes with you.  At least that's how it is for me.  

I used to find it impossible NOT to listen to the music I so desperately needed when I so desperately needed it.  Like now...

Exactly, Deb. I'm at peace with myself and my life now. Once in a while depression makes its way in, but it's manageable and much less overpowering. 

Soundgarden was music that directly mirrored my feelings and gave me solace in the fact that others felt the same thing. Simple as that. 

8 minutes ago, Toews said:

An old friend reached out to me earlier, she's really hurting. I am calling a few mutual friends, going to meet up later and just hang out, listen to some music. I was looking forward to watching the Preds-Ducks game but that just seems like such an afterthought now.

That sounds like the right idea, Toews. Take care. 

Archived