The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Cornell, Soundgarden frontman, dies aged 52

nuckin_futz

Grew up listening to these guys when my Older brother introduced me to the world of real music.. Tool (who I am effing stoked to see in Van next month), Soundgarden and Alice in Chains got me started on my journey to Metal and hard rock. Damn shame to see him go, hope he has found the peace he was looking for... remember there is always help! 

A fan at the Detroit gig noted Cornell said "this is our last gig" which he found odd as there were 6 more gigs booked on this tour.

The last song they did was "Slaves and Bulldozers" with a bit of Zeppelin's "In My Time Of Dying".

:(

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

A fan at the Detroit gig noted Cornell said "this is our last gig" which he found odd as there were 6 more gigs booked on this tour.

The last song they did was "Slaves and Bulldozers" with a bit of Zeppelin's "In My Time Of Dying".

Care to link to that?

16 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Was just seeing a clip where he was talking about the next gig in Ohio and how he would have to tell the crowd how great the Detroit fans were.

I'm on the first leg of a long vacation and have successfully evaded much of the current events, even news about the NHL playoffs. After a great bowl of noodles I found myself sitting at a bar drinking several beers in Ho Chi Minh City. I was there for about 2 hours and didn't find it the slightest bit odd to be hearing all of Soundgarden's songs shuffling through the hot, muggy, Vietnamese summer air.

Just popped in here this morning (local time) to see how the Sens were doing and found this thread. Now the music selection last night makes all too much sense. I literally have tears in my eyes as I write this.

I grew up jamming along with Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden. Thanks to those bands I wore through a lot of strings, and have a lot of great memories from the 90's that flash back when I hear their songs.

I think I'm going to have beer for breakfast today.

4 hours ago, Green Building said:

I'm on the first leg of a long vacation and have successfully evaded much of the current events, even news about the NHL playoffs. After a great bowl of noodles I found myself sitting at a bar drinking several beers in Ho Chi Minh City. I was there for about 2 hours and didn't find it the slightest bit odd to be hearing all of Soundgarden's songs shuffling through the hot, muggy, Vietnamese summer air.

Just popped in here this morning (local time) to see how the Sens were doing and found this thread. Now the music selection last night makes all too much sense. I literally have tears in my eyes as I write this.

I grew up jamming along with Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden. Thanks to those bands I wore through a lot of strings, and have a lot of great memories from the 90's that flash back when I hear their songs.

I think I'm going to have beer for breakfast today.

It's an immense tragedy, Green. I hope your trip is beautiful and fills your soul. I cried a few times during the day. 

This is a part of an interview with Cornell where he discusses his battle with depression. The part about the rope is chilling. Click on the link for the rest of the interview.

Dealing with depression

As far as depression, Cornell had said that he had a tendency to “be pretty closed off” and reclusive.

“It’s about trying to step out of being patterned and closed off and reclusive, which I’ve always had a problem with,” he told Rolling Stone. “It’s about attempting to be normal and just go out and be around other people and hang out. I have a tendency to sometimes be pretty closed off and not see people for long periods of time and not call anyone.”

He once described the period before rehab as a time in which he was dealing with the “daily drudgery of depression and either trying to not drink or do drugs or doing them.”  In the 2015 interview with Rolling Stone Australia, he said that when he was drinking too much, it “has its own problems, particularly with depression.”

Talking about how his own music had melancholy vibes around the release of 1999’s Euphoria Morning, he told Guitar.com,I’ve always liked depressing music because a lot of times listening to it when you’re down can actually make you feel less depressed. Also, even though a person may have problems with depression, sometimes you can actually be kind of comfortable in that space because you know how to operate within it.”

Asked if he perceived run-of-the-mill depression as a comfort zone, he replied, “The problem is, no one really knows what run-of-the-mill depression is. You’ll think somebody has run-of-the-mill depression, and then the next thing you know, they’re hanging from a rope. It’s hard to tell the difference. But I do feel that depression can be useful. Sometimes it’s just chemical. It doesn’t seem to come from anywhere. And whenever I’ve been in any kind of depression, I’ve over the years tried to not only imagine what it feels like to not be there, but try to remind myself that I could just wake up the next day and it could be gone because that happens, and not to worry about it. And at the same time, when I’m feeling great, I remember the depression and think about the differences in what I’m feeling and why I would feel that way, and not be reactionary one way or the other. You just have to realize that these are patterns of life and you just go through them.”

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/chris-cornell-said-depression-addiction-185856132.html

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

His wife speaks out and believes that Ativan may have contributed to his death.

All anti-depressants carry a risk of increasing suicidal thoughts as there are multiple biological aspects of depression, but Ativan being the culprit would really shock me. It's a sedative, that's why its used as an anti-anxiety prescription. In larger doses than normal it can cause weird effects (such as vision distortion) but its a pill that helps slow down thoughts, not increase them or give energy to them. 

Source/Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional but have taken Ativan for anxiety

Follow up thought: If he took more Ativan than normal to combat the thoughts, it would make sense that those negative, depressed thoughts were significantly more present and powerful than normal. So while the extra Ativan is involved with the end result, I hypothesize it is more of a consequence rather than the cause.

Sad details are emerging. It appears this was perhaps unintentional.

Chris Cornell’s Police Report Reveals Full Timeline for Singer’s Death

A police report from the death of Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell provides some details about the last 90 minutes of his life. The report appears to back up, in part, what his widow, Vicky, said this morning about the role that the prescription drug Ativan may have played in Cornell’s decision to take his own life.

According to The Detroit News, Cornell was in his hotel suite by 11:30PM when his bodyguard, Martin Kristen, stopped by to help him fix his computer. Kristen also gave him two Ativan pills, which he took for anxiety issues. Five minutes later, Vicky spoke with Chris on the telephone, and she told police that he was slurring his words and that he may have taken “an extra Ativan or two.”

At 12:15AM, Vicky called Kristen’s room to ask him to check on Chris, She said that “he did not sound like he is okay,” adding that he was “groggy and just kept saying, ‘I am just tired,’ and hung up the phone.” Upon arriving, Kristen found the door to his room latched and phoned security to get them to open the door, but they refused on the grounds that the room was not registered to Kristen, even though he had a key.

Kristen then kicked the door down, as well as the door to the bedroom of the suite, and found him on the bathroom floor, “with blood running from his mouth and a red exercise band around (his) neck,” the report says. The hotel’s medic, Dawn Jones, arrived at 12:56AM, untied the band and attempted CPR, which was unsuccessful.

An EMS unit arrived on the scene shortly thereafter and was also unable to revive the singer. He was pronounced dead at 1:30AM.

A toxicology report will be able to determine the amount of Ativan Cornell had in his system at the time of his death. Suicidal thoughts are a known side effect of Ativan.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/chris-cornell-police-report/

Not sure why his bodyguard would be administering Ativan, but I imagine that will be delved into.

I believe the slurred speech and possible trigger for suicidal tendencies would be dose related.  Which is why these drugs are so dangerous...so much comes into play with them.

My dentist gave me Ativan before I had to have a root canal because I had related anxiety...surprised me, really

Just is an absolute tragedy....I feel so sorry for his wife and children.

Archived