The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks - Stars (Proposal)

Interesting news out of Dallas today, Jim Nill was interviewed and said this.
"I have talked to other teams already about possibly moving that pick, getting an established player back," Nill told SiriusXM's NHL Network Radio

Its been beat around like a dead horse, but the prospect of flipping Tanev for Lehtonen/Niemi and the 3rd overall pick could really change the Canucks.

3rd overall - Heiskenan or Vilardi/Mittelstadt (or maybe a miracle happens and Nolan Patrick drops)
5th overall - Liljegren or Glass

Canucks get a potential top 6 center and top 2 defenceman in one go... 

30 minutes ago, Misconduct16 said:

Its been beat around like a dead horse, but the prospect of flipping Tanev for Lehtonen/Niemi and the 3rd overall pick could really change the Canucks.

...So why create a new thread for it???

32 minutes ago, Misconduct16 said:

"I have talked to other teams already about possibly moving that pick, getting an established player back," Nill told SiriusXM's NHL Network Radio

3rd overall - Heiskenan or Vilardi/Mittelstadt (or maybe a miracle happens and Nolan Patrick drops)

I don't see Tanev alone bringing us a top 3 pick, as much as I love that. Maybe Tanev + 3rd. Even then I just don't know haha. 

Just now, billabong said:

1. Hischier

2. Patrick 

3. Heiskanen (van)

4. Valardi

5. Glass (van) 

Drool...

you take the D at 3 cause Why would you risk losing him at 4 to col. then you leave col to decide between valardi, glass or mittelstadt. 

I like it. 

7 minutes ago, billabong said:

1. Hischier

2. Patrick 

3. Heiskanen (van)

4. Valardi

5. Glass (van) 

Drool...

you take the D at 3 cause Why would you risk losing him at 4 to col. then you leave col to decide between valardi, glass or mittelstadt. 

I like it too haha, Although I would also Consider Pettersson at 5.

10 minutes ago, billabong said:

1. Hischier

2. Patrick 

3. Heiskanen (van)

4. Valardi

5. Glass (van) 

Drool...

Gimme!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Or maybe Nill's moving that pick / package to Col for Landy.

Doesn't Dallas need to keep pucks out of their net though?  Tanev might be a better direction for their current team.

19 minutes ago, billabong said:

1. Hischier

2. Patrick 

3. Heiskanen (van)

4. Valardi

5. Glass (van) 

Drool...

i love it

but realistically the only way we pick 2 times in top 5 is if we give up one our young prospects. Tanev alone cant get 3rd overall.  Tanev + + sure will

24 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Or maybe Nill's moving that pick / package to Col for Landy.

Dallas is a lot more loaded up front then on D, I think they'd be looking for a defenseman.  However I think they could do better than Tanev personally.  We would have to put a more solid package together of Tanev, a 2nd round pick and Granlund for #3 and a goalie (cap dump) to get the third overall pick in my opinion.  I know it seems like an overpayment, but third overall picks never come cheap.

This is actually pretty close to my ideal situation when I fantasize about how I hope the next couple months go by (yeah I'm boring, sue me).

To me trading up just a few spots would be ridiculous, but aquiring another top 10 pick could put our rebuild right on track. A 3rd overall would be amazing, but anywhere in the top 7-10 practically guarantees us any combination of Glass/Mitt/Vil and Lilj/Makar (I love Heis, and if we can draft him, we do, but we really need puck moving righty more). Even in a 'weak' draft if we can come out filling or organizational needs with top flight talent it would be a huge win for us. 

Imo, trading Tanev is a must. Sbisa progressed greatly last season, and loosing him for nothing would be a huge blow to the nucks. Unless Benning is able to save him by trading future considerations and having LV take a forward, I say we have to move our biggest bargaining piece. I could even survive with the cap dump of a goalie backing up Marky for a few years. Worst case, we have an experienced, expensive back up. Best case, a change of scenery helps one of these goalies out and we see a career resurgence, Dubnyk style, and we can flip him for a pick or prospect to a team needing a back up upgrade. 

Not sure if the values add up, but would love to see something like this go down. 

If anything, Dallas needs defence. If Jim Nill still hasn't figured that out, he will be fired. Well, I guess goalie was their number 1 priority but they figured it out by acquiring then, signing Bishop. 

A proposal surrounding Tanev is intriguing but I doubt that it gets the 3rd overall. If we were picking somewhere in the 15-20OA, Tanev + 15-20 OA might have been good enough but we are picking 5OA and difference between 5OA and 3OA is so small in this draft that it's not worth giving it up.

I don't see any realistic trade, unless we offer something big like, Tanev + Sutter for 3OA + a good prospect. If JB views next season as a prospect development season (i.e., tanking), then this deal might be OK although it does feel like we are doing Dallas a big favour. I wonder if their #1 defence prospect, I think it's Honka, is ready for the NHL or not. If not, I wonder if Tanev + Sutter for 3OA + Honka be a good deal for both sides? Again, losing Tanev + Sutter means we are going to finish last in the standings.

2 hours ago, Misconduct16 said:

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

I don't see Tanev alone bringing us a top 3 pick, as much as I love that. Maybe Tanev + 3rd. Even then I just don't know haha. 

I agree, I don't think Tanev alone will bring us the #3 pick. Definitely need a sweetener on top of taking back one of their goalies. On TSN1040 radio this morning they talked about possibly including Loui Eriksson with salary retention. He was a star on that team when he played there and can still produce. They argued that maybe Eriksson at 50% so a $3M cap hit for a top-6 player might work? Better and cheaper than anyone they could get in free agency -- essentially getting a top-6 player on sale.

Alternatively, as a more lucrative option to the Stars something like this could possibly work. 

To Dallas

Tanev

UFA rights to Ryan Miller

To Vancouver

3rd overall pick

Lehtonen

Niemi

The Canucks then buyout Niemi and Dallas signs Miller as a backup to Bishop. This allows the Stars to have a top-pairing shutdown defenseman, a capable starting goaltender as a backup, and clear out a couple of extra million dollars on the cap to use on UFAs or RFAs. The buyout cap penalty on Niemi's contract for the Canucks is just $1.5M for two years. It essentially comes down to the Canucks trading Tanev for the third overall pick and Aquaman paying the difference in value out of his pocket.

EDIT: Bob McKenzie was also on TSN1040 radio earlier today and said that he doesn't believe that Dallas will get the value that they are looking for. He said few teams are reluctant on giving up a top-6 forward or a top-4 defenseman. Could Tanev with salary/goalie. coming back out way actually be enough?

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Doesn't Dallas need to keep pucks out of their net though?  Tanev might be a better direction for their current team.

7 minutes ago, underrated said:

Dallas is a lot more loaded up front then on D, I think they'd be looking for a defenseman.  However I think they could do better than Tanev personally.  We would have to put a more solid package together of Tanev, a 2nd round pick and Granlund for #3 and a goalie (cap dump) to get the third overall pick in my opinion.  I know it seems like an overpayment, but third overall picks never come cheap.

Yaya, I was just saying Nill's probably talking to a different team and used Col as an easy example.

15 minutes ago, khay said:

I wonder if Tanev + Sutter for 3OA + Honka be a good deal for both sides?

Honka is a legit top prospect.  He's honestly worth close to the #3 overall pick.  I don't think they'd part with both of their top future players for a package like Tanev and Sutter.  To be honest, I think Tanev + Sutter isn't too far off from the value for the 3rd overall pick by itself.

No way Tanev fetches us the 3rd overall plus one of their goalies.

There are 29 other teams to wheel and deal with, probably won't be with the Canucks. If anything, Nill would probably want Tanev and our 5th for their 3rd. The price would be outrageous.

I don't agree with "Hockey Feed" that often, but when I do, it's because I feel the same:

"It’s clear that Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier will be selected with the first two picks but it’s quite unclear and wide open after those two amazing players."

So why bother try and get 3rd when we have 5th?

Archived