The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Armed Forces Thread

Gurn

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

@CBH1926 btw I think you are over valuing the UK military. It is a mess atm, They're facing extreme cuts and a major downsize is on the way.

If this plan continues both Germany and Italy will have a stronger and more capable force.

Here is a comparison between Germany and U.K

https://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-comparison-detail.asp?form=form&country1=united-kingdom&country2=germany&Submit=COMPARE

You are correct though, U.K military has been on a decline for a while.

They do have the nuclear deterrent though, but overall they would never be able to withstand a major invasion.

Just now, CBH1926 said:

Here is a comparison between Germany and U.K

https://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-comparison-detail.asp?form=form&country1=united-kingdom&country2=germany&Submit=COMPARE

You are correct though, U.K military has been on a decline for a while.

They do have the nuclear deterrent though, but overall they would never be able to withstand a major invasion.

Global fire power is a terrible website. I would go one further I think without the US Russia could steam roll all of Europe with France being the only real threat but they would be overwhelmed. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Global fire power is a terrible website. I would go one further I think without the US Russia could steam roll all of Europe with France being the only real threat but they would be overwhelmed. 

Their raw date is pretty accurate, as far as rankings go, I draw my own conclusions.

They have NK listed as largest navy in terms of ships, in reality most of those are old and decrepit.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Military shows off new Cyclone helicopter days before first international deployment

https://globalnews.ca/news/4330027/cyclone-helicopters-halifax/

Video in link.

Best maritime helicopter in the world.

Great news!!!

About time.  Was worried how much longer the Sea Kings could be operational with parts becoming obsolete. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm just saying what the commander said. I'm sure @SabreFan1 will tell me they're junk and it has to be Murica!!

And then he will realize it is American just doesn't sound American.:lol:

Messin with ya sabre.

When Igor Sikorsky fled Russian empire, that was a huge loss for them.

H-19 and H-34, sea king, sea stallion, Black Hawk, Seahawk etc.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm just saying what the commander said. I'm sure @SabreFan1 will tell me they're junk and it has to be Murica!!

And then he will realize it is American just doesn't sound American.:lol:

Messin with ya sabre.

Actually I don't know why Canada wouldn't design and make a helicopter of it's own.  It's very capable of doing so.  Having the same kind of jets as your allies makes more sense than using the same helicopters unless you plan on saving money and buying them used.

Though to be fair to Canada's military, it is finally replacing some Vietnam era choppers so unless parliament planned on going into the weapons trade business, buying them is simpler.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at last a decision has been made:

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/canadas-combat-ship-team-were-ready-on-day-one-2018-07-23

"

OTTAWA, Ontario, July 23, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Canada's Combat Ship Team submitted its final proposal for the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) project to prime contractor Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, after four years of investment developing a solution.

Canada's Combat Ship Team combines Lockheed Martin LMT, -1.35% Canada's longstanding expertise in naval integration with the world's most advanced warship design – BAE Systems' Type 26 Global Combat Ship – and high-tech platforms from top-pedigree Canadian innovators CAE, MDA, L3 Technologies, and Ultra Electronics."

https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/2018/07/23/Canadas-Combat-Ship-Team-investing-in-Type-26-frigate/7211532370202/

"

July 23 (UPI) -- Canada's Combat Ship Team has given it's final submission for the Canadian Surface Combatant project to Irving Shipbuilding ifor the Type 26 Global Combat Ship.

The project has taken four years of study. Lockheed Martin and BAE are the primary contractors alongside Canadian companies CAE, MDA, L3 Technologies, and Ultra Electronics.

The Type 26 is designed for anti-submarine warfare and and other missions. The vessel is meant to be stealthy for a surface ship, making it more effective at evading and combating enemy submarines.

The project leader will be Lockheed Martin Canada. Minor changes aside, the Canadian design is similar to the United Kingdom's Type 26 and Australia's SEA 5000 programs. In a press release, Lockheed said that the ship will be integrated into the Five Eyes Intelligence Community."

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is it true that for now on CDN soldiers  no longer have to purchase their own combat boots..... ?

They're just going to wear their mother's spare pair.  :lol:

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is it true that for now on CDN soldiers  no longer have to purchase their own combat boots..... ?

We never had to purchase our own. They obviously issue boots but they are heavy and uncomfortable so guys would buy their own boots (swat, magnum, oakleys, etc) 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Pickly said:

We never had to purchase our own. They obviously issue boots but they are heavy and uncomfortable so guys would buy their own boots (swat, magnum, oakleys, etc) 

I thought the issue is that the military issues a single boot but so many varied roles . / jobs within require different boots.. Make out sourcing a challenge.

Now they are going to a boot allowance... so soldiers can buy what is best suited... makes sense..

On 7/10/2018 at 10:01 AM, Ryan Strome said:

It's not a bad site, good for the basic information, the rankings is subject of opinion.