The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Armed Forces Thread

Gurn

12 hours ago, Toews said:

Drew reminds me of the kind of person that asks out a girl, who rejects him so afterwards he talks all kinds of $&!# about her.

"She was a dumb slut anyway."

"The military are a bunch of tax payer money leeches."

Yea I spend every waking moment of my life talking $&!# about the one who rejected my pathetic ass.

U got it right!

And i realized dazzle wasnt into a sophisticated debate so i bowed out. Id rather not lose to a loser at losing.....its really not my place

Edited by Drewismyname

1 minute ago, Drewismyname said:

Yea I spend every waking moment of my life talking $&!# about the one who rejected my pathetic ass.

U got it right!

I never said that but if that's how you feel, you can let it out on here. :P

As Dazzle said though the recruitment process isn't perfect and people have had long waiting times to get in. If you had wanted it as bad as others did, you have stuck with it. Now you are letting one possibly overworked recruiter color your entire view of the military and referring to them as "leeches". Its just makes you sound like a jilted lover who has yet to get over it. We don't always get the things we want in life, that doesn't mean you wallow away in bitterness and contempt. Its a trite and overused saying but, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." And if you still can't get over it, then get in touch with a recruiter and make it happen instead of complaining about it. Don't let your ego get into the way of the things you want in life.

And now I am done preaching. :lol:

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Toews said:

I never said that but if that's how you feel, you can let it out on here. :P

As Dazzle said though the recruitment process isn't perfect and people have had long waiting times to get in. If you had wanted it as bad as others did, you have stuck with it. Now you are letting one possibly overworked recruiter color your entire view of the military and referring to them as "leeches". Its just makes you sound like a jilted lover who has yet to get over it. We don't always get the things we want in life, that doesn't mean you wallow away in bitterness and contempt. Its a trite and overused saying but, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." And if you still can't get over it, then get in touch with a recruiter and make it happen instead of complaining about it. Don't let your ego get into the way of the things you want in life.

And now I am done preaching. :lol:

The moral isnt about me its about the wasting of government money to accomplish nothing.

I want no part of it after seeing what it does when confronted with a prospect.

I just think in the long run sticking to the code of reality will get us as a society a lot further than letting innept goofs man the doors to the best jobs. Money aside, how about self respect?

17 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

My Grandfather flew Lancasters and Halifaxes for the RCAF 408 Squadron 6th Group Bomber Command out of Linton on Ouse in Yorkshire during WW2.

Anyone else have any WW2 Grandpas?

My Great Uncle was in the Artillery in WWI. My Dad was in the signal corps in Korea. 

Grandpa's served in British military.

Wife's grandpa severed at same time except for Germany.

2nd Cousin just got out of Brit's...served in Bosnia, Afghanistan, Iraq. He was out visiting me a few years back and went to train in Calgary, for some reason he got to do the bobsled( maybe luge?) on the old Olympic track!  Anyway, he said the Canadians he trained with were some of the best he'd ever seen. For reference, this cuz was a British accuracy competitor, recon and was at one point being interviewed for the SAS.

2 hours ago, Drewismyname said:

The moral isnt about me its about the wasting of government money to accomplish nothing.

I want no part of it after seeing what it does when confronted with a prospect.

I just think in the long run sticking to the code of reality will get us as a society a lot further than letting innept goofs man the doors to the best jobs. Money aside, how about self respect?

Regardless of your thoughts on the state of the Canadian military, how can you argue that it is a waste of government resources to invest in a military? Its not like Canada is overspending like our neighbor down south. We need a military presence to protect our interests especially in disputed territories.

Please elaborate. What is this "code of reality"? Just because you had a negative experience does not mean that the military is filled with "innept goofs". Anecdotal evidence is a poor way to judge the state of matters. IMO letting your ego get in the way of your goals is something that I find to be not very smart. It took some tough lessons for me to come to that understanding. Your ego isn't going to pay your bills. The day I realized that nothing was beneath me is the day I began to make meaningful progress towards achieving my goals.

Edited by Toews
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Toews said:

Regardless of your thoughts on the state of the Canadian military, how can you argue that it is a waste of government resources to invest in a military? Its not like Canada is overspending like our neighbor down south. We need a military presence to protect our interests especially in disputed territories.

Please elaborate. What is this "code of reality"? Just because you had a negative experience does not mean that the military is filled with "innept goofs". Anecdotal evidence is a poor way to judge the state of matters. IMO letting your ego get in the way of your goals is something that I find to be not very smart. It took some tough lessons for me to come to that understanding. Your ego isn't going to pay your bills. The day I realized that nothing was beneath me is the day I began to make meaningful progress towards achieving my goals.

The code of reality is operating within the scope of sanity and common sense....

4 hours ago, Toews said:

Are you sure you're under 30?   This is great advice.  Our military is especially needed now, with the Arctic (our territories) becoming freer of ice, and the coming conflict with Russia over its belonging to Canada.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are you sure you're under 30?   This is great advice.  Our military is especially needed now, with the Arctic (our territories) becoming freer of ice, and the coming conflict with Russia over its belonging to Canada.

Wars of the future will be fought over natural resources.

Those that can't protect their territory will end up losing or "sharing" those resources.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Just turned 26. Indeed, I would say my life's motto is "Ambition over pride". Agreed.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HI5 said:

4.6 for Canada

4.6 what?  Not percent.  Canada is just under 1%. 

*edit* I think I just got it. The US percentage and Canada adds up to 4.6.  Took me a few minutes.

Edited by SabreFan1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Thought Greece was bankrupt?  

They came close, but they have gotten bailed out more than once.  They are relatively poor in comparison to other some other European nations that are under 2% though.  Especially Germany who are only at 1.19.  Although I suppose if there's one nation in the world that you don't want to have a large military force, it would be Germany. :lol:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

They came close, but they have gotten bailed out more than once.  They are relatively poor in comparison to other some other European nations that are under 2% though.  Especially Germany who are only at 1.19.  Although I suppose if there's one nation in the world that you don't want to have a large military force, it would be Germany. :lol:

Actually Greece did default.

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

4.6 what?  Not percent.  Canada is just under 1%. 

*edit* I think I just got it. The US percentage and Canada adds up to 4.6.  Took me a few minutes.

Sadly I believe it's lower, the Canadian Senate said 0.88% absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Embarrassing to see poor Eastern European countries, spending more comparing to Germany, Denmark, Canada and Netherlands.

Even though you and @SabreFan1 are American I know that you guys actually care about wanting Canada to spend more. Honestly I would like to see Canada at the levels in 1945 now today. Top 3 air force and navy and 1.1 million troops.

Edited by Ryan Strome