The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Stars open to moving No. 3 pick

TSN.ca Staff

Dallas Stars general manager Jim Nill said Thursday he's open to moving the No. 3 overall pick in June's entry draft for a current NHL player.

Nill, whose Stars moved up five slots in the draft lottery, says he's already had conversations about the pick but expects more interest to come.

"I have talked to other teams already about possibly moving that pick, getting an established player back," Nill told SiriusXM's NHL Network Radio, per the league's website. "It gives us lot of options. I think this will heat up more as we go."

With Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier being the consensus top two prospects in the draft - 22 of 23 scouts surveyed by TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie last month listed them as first or second - Nill said there are as many as 10 player who could be picked third.

"Probably a group of another 10 players, and that's when it comes down to team's personal preference," Nill said. "Are you looking for a big strong centerman? Are you looking for a scoring winger? Are you looking for a power forward? There is lot of different options there."

One scout surveyed by McKenzie had Patrick as the draft's top prospect, followed by Finnish defenceman Miro Heiskanen.

Overall, Nill says he is happy with his start to the offseason, which has included trading for and signing goaltender Ben Bishop.

"It's a pretty good last month here with the draft lottery, the goaltender, then with Anaheim winning and getting to the final four we got that second first-round pick," Nill said. "So it gives us more assets to make a move and acquire players."

** Well.. There you go Jim Benning. Here is your chance to shine to get this 3rd overall pick. At least try for it but if doesn't go your way we all have your back for the 5th overall pick in the draft. Good Luck!

Go Canucks Go!!!

Ehh. As much as I'd like to grab Middlestadt, I don't necessarily think it's worth the price that Dallas would be asking, considering the discrepancy between the 3rd and 5th overall picks is near nonexistent this year.

To Dallas

5th overall

CBJ 2nd rd pick

To Vancouver

3rd overall 

That's about all I'd do for a pick swap-type deal.

However, if we could somehow end up with both picks, I wouldn't be against that. However, I don't know if we have the trade chips to play.

To Dallas

Chris Tanev

Vancouver 2nd rd pic

To Vancouver

3rd Overall

Niemi

?

Probably not enough.

The best case scenario for the Canucks is to send Tanev to Dallas for their 3rd overall pick and take back Niemi withnhis contract and Nichuskins rights. Bob Mckenzie himself said he's not sure Dallas can land a top 4 D or top 6 fwd for just the 3rd overall pick. 

Take that 3rd overall, draft Heiskanen, Draft Glass 5th overall, then in 3 years, bring back both Nichuskin and Tryamkin and along with Goldobin on the team, having all 3 would surely make them more comfortable away from home. 

Thats our home run scenario

1 minute ago, Lockhart said:

Tanev for the pick and Niemi.

It will be hard for them to unload Niemi without buying him out. 

This. 

Theyre headed for cap trouble, and this'll help both teams. We get a goalie to backup marky and a high pick, they fix their cap and get one of the best defenders in the league 

4 minutes ago, Lockhart said:

Tanev for the pick and Niemi.

It will be hard for them to unload Niemi without buying him out. 

More like Tanev for 3rd and Lehtonen, maybe we add more. That's probably one of the best offers Dallas gets unless Minnesota is willing to trade within their division or Anaheim offers them one of their young defenders, though I think Tanev is better then Vatanen and slightly behind Fowler and Lindholm 

8 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:
The best case scenario for the Canucks is to send Tanev to Dallas for their 3rd overall pick and Nichuskins rights. Bob Mckenzie himself said he's not sure Dallas can land a top 4 D or top 6 fwd for just the 3rd overall pick. 

Take that 3rd overall, draft Heiskanen, Draft Glass 5th overall, then in 3 years, bring back both Nichuskin and Tryamkin and along with Goldobin on the team, having all 3 would surely make them more comfortable away from home. 

Thats our home run scenario

I don't see Dallas accepting that. I think they would want us to take an overpaid goalie.

I don't see Dallas moving that pick unless it's for a young proven defensemen (Trouba, Fowler, etc) or a first round pick in the top 10 coming back.

Tanev does not push them over the top as a Cup contender.

7 minutes ago, apollo said:

Is 3rd overall gonna guarantee us a player better than 5th?  

Nope.

The gems are 1st or 2nd overall... 3rd to 10th is very unpredictable imo.

First or second aren't guaranteed gems either. Hischier and Patrick just have a proven track record, Vilardi, Glass or Mittelstadt could all surprise and be better than those two.

8 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I don't see Dallas moving that pick unless it's for a young proven defensemen (Trouba, Fowler, etc) or a first round pick in the top 10 coming back.

Tanev does not push them over the top as a Cup contender.

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

Pretty low value 3rd overall 

Other than perhaps for the first and second picks there's no apparent benefit in trading up this year. From third to about tenth is a bit of a crapshoot—close your eyes and pin the tail on the donkey (and just hope you don't GET the donkey) :o

Archived