The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Stars open to moving No. 3 pick

Oh boy here we go...

To be honest the 3rd overall pick in this draft is probably the most useless pick in the bunch and will be the most valued so we'd lose a lot of overall value trading a high prospect or player for the 3rd overall, to get a player back who could (like Stars GM even said) could go anywhere from 3rd to 10th overall. The 3rd overall pick is essentially a 3-10th overall pick. The top 2 carry a lot of value, but after that there's not much difference.

That being said, it's still a top-10 pick, and if we can acquire it without having to throw away our 5th, we'd be looking pretty damn good. Our needs are a top center and top defenceman and while I don't think there's anyone elite in this draft, we could easily fill the center role and acquire a top-4 defenceman to boost our value and replace Tryamkin. 

Dallas going hard for Bishop shows they want to win now. Lets give them what they really need - defence. Obviously the deal revolves around Tanev but what else do they need? They have a few young defencemen and lots of top end scorers but could use some depth scoring forwards.

TO DAL: Tanev + Reid Boucher + CBJ's 2nd rounder (if needed)

TO VAN: 3rd overall pick 

I like Boucher, wicked shot but Goldobin and Dahlen and Boeser are going to be more favoured. Boucher has a red hot chance of cracking any roster and proved he can score, as he did later in the season on a terrible team with terrible linemates. If they want more muscle, give them Dorsett instead.

I think Tanev is worth a 15-30th overall pick by himself in a weak-ish draft like the 2017 draft, so hopefully a young solid scorer can boost that value up a bit, otherwise we throw in the CBJ 2nd round pick too.

DRAFT DAY:

3rd overall pick: Take the best center available. If Nico or Nolan fall for whatever reason (doubt it), we snag them up. Otherwise it's up to JB and his scouts to pick the best guy of Vilardi, Mittelstatd or Glass

5th overall pick: We could take another center and trade him later, but I'd rather go after one of these sought-after defencemen. Again, up to JB to pick the best guy he's scouted, whether it be Heiskanen, Makar or Liljegren.

There's a lot of combinations there but at the end of the day we won't know who the best is until 3-5 years down the line. For me, I'd take Vilardi and Heiskanen. They're both young and need a lot of development so let them go back to minors for as long as possible, especially Vilardi who's only 17. Don't expect them to be in the NHL for at least 2-3 years (Heiskanen might get bumped up a bit earlier). Both are 17 and shouldn't be playing against men until 19ish, then in the NHL at 20-21.

In 2018, gun hard for an elite defenceman (there's lots to go in the top-15) and that should be our core sorted.

Dahlen - Vilardi - UFA/trade

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - Virtanen

? - Gaunce - Goldobin

Juolevi - 2018 1st rounder

Heiskanen - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa/Subban

Demko

That's a team that could honestly push hard in the playoffs in 3-5 years time.

27 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

First or second aren't guaranteed gems either. Hischier and Patrick just have a proven track record, Vilardi, Glass or Mittelstadt could all surprise and be better than those two.

I've got a feeling Hirschier isn't going to live up to the hype and someone like Glass or Mittelstatd will end up being the best center in a few years time. Just a hunch. Drafting will be important, but to be honest I think the development of any of those centers will be more important.

Getting thrown into the NHL right away in New Jersey will ruin whoever they pick, whereas the Philadelphia center will be a long way off the NHL with their center depth so will probably get developed properly and slowly and end up being the better of the two regardless.

They do need defence. I would love it if they took a Tanev plus both our seconds, take Subban too I don't know. I doubt it would happen but if we could walk out with a stud PP defenceman and a playmaking top 6 center, this rebuild will be so much quicker.

54 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Something around Ryan Murray wouldn't surprise me.  Columbus stands to expose a pretty good defenseman in the ED.

Perhaps Oleksiak going to the CBJ with the pick, a depth piece to Dallas....

Cbj doesn't really need a 3rd OA pick right now. I could see them trying to trade Murray for eberle (framework) mediocre defense for soft moderate offense

id rather get phillys 2nd but if Dallas 3rd is obtainable for a decent price than go for it.

id be insurmountably excited if we could get hischer or mittlestat

and

makar or liljegren

1 minute ago, goblix said:

Cbj doesn't really need a 3rd OA pick right now. I could see them trying to trade Murray for eberle (framework) mediocre defense for soft moderate offense

id rather get phillys 2nd but if Dallas 3rd is obtainable for a decent price than go for it.

id be insurmountably excited if we could get hischer or mittlestat

and

makar or liljegren

Hischier and Makar would make for a super exciting future!  Get 'er done JB!

I don't want to trade Tanev just because of our depth in D but I'd be open to moving Edler or Sbisa considering we will most likely lose one of the two to Vegas. I'd give Dallas our 1st, Sbisa for their 3rd overall. It's fair value deal. Not as deep of a draft so this should be good enough package for their pick. They get a steady defenceman in Sbisa who has his share of bad play but broke out this year with his steady presence and has some experience that should help Dallas address their backend issues. While we get their pick which we get Vilardi who continues to amaze me and chance to catch him play tomorrow. His board play, puck protection, play maker, nice release and pass is impressive. He's our pick if we do trade up for 3

Just now, Beary Sweet said:

I don't want to trade Tanev just because of our depth in D but I'd be open to moving Edler or Sbisa considering we will most likely lose one of the two to Vegas. I'd give Dallas our 1st, Sbisa for their 3rd overall. It's fair value deal. Not as deep of a draft so this should be good enough package for their pick. They get a steady defenceman in Sbisa who has his share of bad play but broke out this year with his steady presence and has some experience that should help Dallas address their backend issues. While we get their pick which we get Vilardi who continues to amaze me and chance to catch him play tomorrow. His board play, puck protection, play maker, nice release and pass is impressive. He's our pick if we do trade up for 3

What's the point of that...

3-5 it's a pickem of 

heiskenen - mittlestatd - makar - glass - valardi

its so insanely up in the air that there is a good chance that you'd get the player you want at 5 anyways.. even if you don't the projected talent differences is negligible and not worth moving up for.

also sbisa isn't really a difference maker for a team sooo what's the point for Dallas as well lol

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

I don't see Dallas moving that pick unless it's for a young proven defensemen (Trouba, Fowler, etc) or a first round pick in the top 10 coming back.

Tanev does not push them over the top as a Cup contender.

But it will get them into a better seed in the playoffs. Or help push for home ice. Throw in Edler or Sbisa to sweeten the deal

40 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

DRAFT DAY:

3rd overall pick: Take the best center available. If Nico or Nolan fall for whatever reason (doubt it), we snag them up. Otherwise it's up to JB and his scouts to pick the best guy of Vilardi, Mittelstatd or Glass

5th overall pick: We could take another center and trade him later, but I'd rather go after one of these sought-after defencemen. Again, up to JB to pick the best guy he's scouted, whether it be Heiskanen, Makar or Liljegren.

Just to point out... 

You are saying that Vilardi, Mittelstadt and Glass are all good enough to go Top-3 - yet, when we pick 5th (when at least one of those guys will still be available) you say:  'don't take that top-3 talent, take someone else instead - perhaps someone ranked 8th or 10th!'

This is actually Canucks-caliber asset-management!  Best player available, shmest plaver avaylable!

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Ehh. As much as I'd like to grab Middlestadt, I don't necessarily think it's worth the price that Dallas would be asking, considering the discrepancy between the 3rd and 5th overall picks is near nonexistent this year.

To Dallas

5th overall

CBJ 2nd rd pick

To Vancouver

3rd overall 

That's about all I'd do for a pick swap-type deal.

However, if we could somehow end up with both picks, I wouldn't be against that. However, I don't know if we have the trade chips to play.

To Dallas

Chris Tanev

Vancouver 2nd rd pic

To Vancouver

3rd Overall

Niemi

?

Probably not enough.

We dont have the trade chips ? Seriously ? They want an established d man. They are pretty good everywhere else.......so 

There is no point in trading to move up. Jim would probably be looking for it outright. Tanev would 100% do it. 

12 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

The only way this makes sense for Benning to pursue is to add the 3rd in addition to the 5th by shipping Tanev and another piece (clb 2nd maybe) for 3rd, goalie cap dump and nichushkin's rights.

The only way it makes sense to acquire the 3rd is if Benning knows he can use it in a package to get the 2nd overall from Philly.

Just now, DeNiro said:

The only way it makes sense to acquire the 3rd is if Benning knows he can use it in a package to get the 2nd overall from Philly.

1 hour ago, ynwa said:

Other than perhaps for the first and second picks there's no apparent benefit in trading up this year. From third to about tenth is a bit of a crapshoot—close your eyes and pin the tail on the donkey (and just hope you don't GET the donkey) :o

How about for this rebuilding team to get two prospects it covets. I'd be pretty happy to come out of this draft with both say Mittelstadt and Liljegren at 3 and 5.

2 hours ago, DevilCanuck19 said:

TSN.ca Staff

Dallas Stars general manager Jim Nill said Thursday he's open to moving the No. 3 overall pick in June's entry draft for a current NHL player.

Nill, whose Stars moved up five slots in the draft lottery, says he's already had conversations about the pick but expects more interest to come.

"I have talked to other teams already about possibly moving that pick, getting an established player back," Nill told SiriusXM's NHL Network Radio, per the league's website. "It gives us lot of options. I think this will heat up more as we go."

With Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier being the consensus top two prospects in the draft - 22 of 23 scouts surveyed by TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie last month listed them as first or second - Nill said there are as many as 10 player who could be picked third.

"Probably a group of another 10 players, and that's when it comes down to team's personal preference," Nill said. "Are you looking for a big strong centerman? Are you looking for a scoring winger? Are you looking for a power forward? There is lot of different options there."

One scout surveyed by McKenzie had Patrick as the draft's top prospect, followed by Finnish defenceman Miro Heiskanen.

Overall, Nill says he is happy with his start to the offseason, which has included trading for and signing goaltender Ben Bishop.

"It's a pretty good last month here with the draft lottery, the goaltender, then with Anaheim winning and getting to the final four we got that second first-round pick," Nill said. "So it gives us more assets to make a move and acquire players."

** Well.. There you go Jim Benning. Here is your chance to shine to get this 3rd overall pick. At least try for it but if doesn't go your way we all have your back for the 5th overall pick in the draft. Good Luck!

Go Canucks Go!!!

@ForsbergTheGreat, seems that pick may just be up for sale. Also sounds like Nill also thinks 3-13 are pretty darn flat.

Archived