The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Stars open to moving No. 3 pick

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Matheson out of Edmonton claiming talks heating up between vancouver and Dallas but it is Tanev and 5th to move to 3rd

Calm down Matheson really.....

no chance JB bites at that.  If they want the #5, they better be giving up both their first round picks 

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Matheson out of Edmonton claiming talks heating up between vancouver and Dallas but it is Tanev and 5th to move to 3rd

Calm down Matheson really.....

Guy obviously doesn't know what he is talking about.  Any trade where Vancouver moves from #5 to #3 is a bad trade because no one even know who is going to be drafted #3.  Any assets used in a trade like that is a waste.  This guy thinks we would use Tanev lol.  I think it will be a big mistake to not trade Tanev though we need to sell high and build the future don't make the same mistake we have made with Edler and the twins who we are getting nothing for. 

I still think Tanev + 55 for 3 OA and Niemi makes the most sense. 

18 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Guy obviously doesn't know what he is talking about.  Any trade where Vancouver moves from #5 to #3 is a bad trade because no one even know who is going to be drafted #3.  Any assets used in a trade like that is a waste.  This guy thinks we would use Tanev lol.  I think it will be a big mistake to not trade Tanev though we need to sell high and build the future don't make the same mistake we have made with Edler and the twins who we are getting nothing for. 

I still think Tanev + 55 for 3 OA and Niemi makes the most sense. 

Not a chance I would be adding #55.  If anything, they should be adding a pick for doing them the favour of taking a goalie contract off their hands

I don't want to lose Tanev since we will have an even more porous defense as a result, but I'd be willing to let him go for the right deal.  Tanev +5OA for 3OA is NOT the right deal. There just isn't a clear difference between 3rd OA and 5th OA.  Even though the top two players still remain the top 2 players in the eyes of most and do appear to have some separation from the rest of the pack, it isn't enough separation to even remotely justify throwing Tanev in.

Now, if we could keep the 5OA and get the 3OA with a trade involving Tanev, then I'm all ears.

I also agree with you Brian42 - Tanev + 55OA (and maybe a small sweetener like an unlikely prospect or another late pick) for 3 OA and Niemi makes sense for both teams. Although his stats have not been great in Dallas, I think that is a result of their lack of defense more than it is his lack of ability or age.  Lehtonen has had pretty unimpressive stats in the last 2-3 years as well, and he too isn't too old to play, and I'd be willing to take on his even higher contract instead if required.  If we are going to re-sign Miller anyway, I think that we will end up relatively lateral in our goaltending.

Dallas now has cap relief and a better defense, and we have a piece for the future.  Win win.

Full Matheson story

Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports the Dallas Stars have their eyes on Vancouver Canucks defenceman Chris Tanev.

The Stars own the No. 3 overall pick in this month's entry draft and have been open about their willingness to move it for a current NHL player. Matheson doesn't believe Tanev is worth the third overall pick and wonders if the two teams could flip picks in a deal for Tanev. The Canucks own the fifth overall pick and would move up two spots in such a deal

Unlike the Stars with their top pick, the Canucks have said they have no plans to trade Tanev this summer, even as they begin their rebuild. 

Tanev, 27, scored two goals and added eight assists while averaging 20:21 of ice time in 53 games with the Canucks this season. Canucks general manager Jim Benning said last month any deal for Tanev would have to make an impact on the team's future - which one could argue moving up two slots would.

“I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t listen and see if it (trade) is worth it, but it’s hard to find good defencemen,” Benning told the Vancouver Province. “Especially defencemen who are mobile and move the puck. I’m not shopping Tanev or bringing his name up in conversations with other GMs. They bring up his name.

“Unless it would make sense for our future, I’m not trading Chris. He means so much to our team. And we’re not looking to do anything with Alex (Edler).”

Tanev is signed through 2019-20 at a cap hit of $4.45 million. He has a modified no-trade clause that will kick in on  July 1. 

Dallas is projected to protect defencemen John Klingberg, Esa Lindell and Stephen Johns in the expansion draft, with Dan Hamhuis, Jamie Oleksiak and Patrick Nemeth left exposed.

With Boeser being added a bounce back from the Sedins to some degree the Canucks could be better next year.

An added bonus to losing Tanev would be a better pick next year.  A Tanev trade would really help the future, we could always sign a vet D-man at some point.

Tanev trade could add 3OA and a better pick next year 

On 2017-06-04 at 2:39 PM, We Are All Cucks said:

Without using time I don't have to read 19 full pages, I'd like to jump in and suggest that Tanev for 3 O/A straight-up (let alone if we are tossing in extras) doesn't make sense from the Canucks' point of view.

Tanev is a top 2 or top 4 pairing who is proven in the NHL. He comes with a great contract and is 27, in his prime. The Canucks realistically don't have a chance to compete for about 3 years (maybe sooner, maybe later...but let's take 3 as the median), but then will be looking to field a competitive team. A 30 year old Tanev at that time may have passed his prime but should still be an effective, responsible veteran who will continue to be a great leader. So, even if we keep Tanev through the painful years, he will be valuable to us after them.

I think most people would assume that if the Canucks possess the 3 and 5 O/A one of those would be a D, and one would be a C. If a C is in the plans without trading Tanev, then we gain a young D who will be ready to play in...3-4 years: just when we are competing. The big problem is that Tanev is a known commodity with a known (very high) ceiling, and picking a D provides the furthest thing from a known commodity. In a best case (while still being realistic) scenario, that D becomes a top 2 guy. Being more realistic, they become a serviceable NHL D. Even so, that might mean a 5/6 guy, and that's a very realistic scenario. 

Without Dallas throwing in more, I don't see the point of any direct 3 O/A for Tanev trade. It's just not worth the risk. Even when the Canucks are tying to compete again, having Tanev then would be phenomenal. That, or diversify your options now. A better bet would be to trade for the 6-10 range draft picks and get our D or C there, since there is so little separation between 3-10. That way, the return would include more than just the draft pick.

I'm all for trading Tanev, but I think for Dallas' pick, it's nonsense. Please explain to me why I'm wrong.

I love tanev's game but just don't see him being  worth a third OA alone. That being said, I'd be all in to significantly add (our 33rd) to get the third if that's even in consideration. Sure the third is not a sure thing but we need many more blue chip prospects moving up around the same age so in 4 years we are ready to compete. By that time, we don't know what is going to happen tanev. Players can decline very rapidly especially in the new NHL. Beware of our best asset declining rapidly.

Even if losing tanev means the worst defense in the league, I'm not too concerned because even with him we had a horrible defense. We can't drop much further than 29th. We stand a better chance of competing when juloevi and whichever d we select (if we have 3+5)  start to contribute. 

Archived