The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Green interview with Rick Dhaliwal May 19th

Ossi Vaananen

16 hours ago, taskicon said:

You made so many assumptions right there based on nothing. I heard he was doing coke on a rocket filled with gnome strippers headed to Mars what a lazy ass. You know nothing of what his workout routine is. He could just as easily be training with a top athletic trainer everyday. If high level ball hockey is intense and can keep his fitness on track from the end of the Utica season until training camp then that is a hell of a lot better than last year. 

To get yourself into that situation would take so much drive and work it would be a true testament to his progression.  You ever try to corral gnome strippers on coke, that is a workout that require strength, quickness and engaging the brain at a much higher level than something simple like hockey.  I would imagine doing it on a rocket to Mars would just amplify the difficulty exponentially.

15 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Yeah, what kind of asshole plays ball hockey in the summer?

Image result for pavel bure rookie card

I think you may be confounding ability to play hockey and being a fan with personality.  He very publicly jilted Vancouver demanding a trade, tried to steal one of his best friends girls (I can understand why Kournikova is gorgeous but it is still Douchy) and has had mob affiliations as long as I can remember hearing about him.  Sounds like the perfect description of an asshole to me.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:40 AM, SILLY GOOSE said:

if people think WD was tough on his players........HA!

WD was tough on his players, but his handling of those players was chaotic and non-sensical at best. Everything points to Green being both hard and fair at the same time. Green at least understands theres no one size fits all approach that works with every player. I feel he's going to be a good coach because he gets that sometimes you need to coach a player up and in order to do that, you have to work on their level and how they perceive things.

Being a good communicator is key in that, and Green is as good a communicator as there is from all accounts. WD was cerebral, he was learned and educated but hockey and pro sports is not something you can really approach in an academic fashion and expect results.

On May 20, 2017 at 5:10 AM, DrJockitch said:

I think you may be confounding ability to play hockey and being a fan with personality.  He very publicly jilted Vancouver demanding a trade, tried to steal one of his best friends girls (I can understand why Kournikova is gorgeous but it is still Douchy) and has had mob affiliations as long as I can remember hearing about him.  Sounds like the perfect description of an asshole to me.

Don't forget he elbowed the $&#t out of poor Churla was cocky had women throwing themselves at him with zero respect for themselves put Vancouver on the map had haters from other fan bases actually admiring him total asshole ::D

10 hours ago, VanGnome said:

WD was tough on his players, but his handling of those players was chaotic and non-sensical at best. Everything points to Green being both hard and fair at the same time. Green at least understands theres no one size fits all approach that works with every player. I feel he's going to be a good coach because he gets that sometimes you need to coach a player up and in order to do that, you have to work on their level and how they perceive things.

Being a good communicator is key in that, and Green is as good a communicator as there is from all accounts. WD was cerebral, he was learned and educated but hockey and pro sports is not something you can really approach in an academic fashion and expect results.

Can you prove any of that garbage? Most player interviews I have read suggests you are just another media dupe.

6 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Can you prove any of that garbage? Most player interviews I have read suggests you are just another media dupe.

Seriously?  From WD's initial cut of his best .Dman (Stecher) to his unfair allotment of minutes given to Vey and Megna, he continually made coaching decisions that could certainly be questioned.  And hockey players rarely if ever say negative things about their coaches.  

Green in an interview said that Virtanen is also working out in Vancouver.  Since he lives here it kind of makes sense.  Jake would be a fool if he thought Roller Hockey is all he needs to get ready for next season.  I have a little more hope that he is getting ready with some conditioning coach.

Those of you questioning ball hockey as a way to keep in shape have never played it.

I played beer league ball hockey hockey for many years in a gym in North Burnaby. With the starting and stopping and no whistles, it's a serious cardio workout and if you're not in shape, you're not playing much. As far as cardio goes, it was right there with competitive road cycling for me.

Of course, it was a beer league so we always ended up at the North Burnaby Inn afterwards for beer and peelers. ^_^

13 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Players are NEVER going to tell the media exactly how they feel about a situation, or a particular coach and his decisions with personnel. It's called professionalism. When I say his personnel decisions are chaotic and non-sensical, I'm basing that off of what I saw and what a lot of other people saw and were frustrated with as well.

There was an obvious divide between coaching and management, hence the nearly full house cleaning (Jarvis not withstanding) with the coaching staff. WD was clearly not on board with management's decision to throw in the towel on the season, and in spite of their wishes continued to deploy career AHL'ers over inexperienced and raw prospect talent.

Even prior to that, when winning and challenging for the playoffs was the mandate, his deployment of certain players and refusal to change up power play lines was EVIDENT. If you couldn't see how ridiculous his management of player personnel was with your own eyes then I can't help you there.

15 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Don't forget he elbowed the $&#t out of poor Churla was cocky had women throwing themselves at him with zero respect for themselves put Vancouver on the map had haters from other fan bases actually admiring him total asshole ::D

Bure is what changed the Canucks from being an invisible team in most of the league fan-wise, especially back east, to suddenly having fans in Canuck jerseys at nearly every road game.

On 2017-05-21 at 8:51 AM, Alflives said:

Seriously?  From WD's initial cut of his best .Dman (Stecher) to his unfair allotment of minutes given to Vey and Megna, he continually made coaching decisions that could certainly be questioned.  And hockey players rarely if ever say negative things about their coaches.  

The GM decides the roster. That was just a numbers game - waiver eligibilty. Had Tryamkin not had that AHL clause, he would have been sent down to get in shape instead of Stecher getting cut.

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

The GM decides the roster. That was just a numbers game - waiver eligibilty. Had Tryamkin not had that AHL clause, he would have been sent down to get in shape instead of Stecher getting cut.

JB announced the best players would make the team, and he would make room for them.  Are you saying JB cut Stecher, not WD?  Wouldn't that have created a rift between coach (who wants to ice his best team) and GM?

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

JB announced the best players would make the team, and he would make room for them.  Are you saying JB cut Stecher, not WD?  Wouldn't that have created a rift between coach (who wants to ice his best team) and GM?

Again, the GM decides who is on the roster and who gets sent to Utica. Just as he decides who is called up. The coach certainly has input but it's the GM's decision. If Willie made the decisions Horvat would have gone back to junior three years ago. He didn't think he was ready. With the injuries to the D through the season I'd say JB made the right decision  Sometimes you have to protect your depth.

Would it have been better to lose Larsen to waivers and find out Stecher struggled once the real season started. or protect your depth and send Stecher to Utica to start the season? Stecher played a whole 4 games in Utica before being recalled. Larsen was a KHL veteran who'd just had a great season. If you were GM would you lose him to waivers to tryout an undersized rookie based on a few preseason games? I'd say it was the right choice protecting the depth.

19 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Again, the GM decides who is on the roster and who gets sent to Utica. Just as he decides who is called up. The coach certainly has input but it's the GM's decision. If Willie made the decisions Horvat would have gone back to junior three years ago. He didn't think he was ready. With the injuries to the D through the season I'd say JB made the right decision  Sometimes you have to protect your depth.

Would it have been better to lose Larsen to waivers and find out Stecher struggled once the real season started. or protect your depth and send Stecher to Utica to start the season? Stecher played a whole 4 games in Utica before being recalled. Larsen was a KHL veteran who'd just had a great season. If you were GM would you lose him to waivers to tryout an undersized rookie based on a few preseason games? I'd say it was the right choice protecting the depth.

I believe the players who are the best deserve to play.  Stecher was (arguably) our best defence man to the point he got cut.  We lost a very good young d man, who went back to Russia because he didn't understand why players who were not playing as well as himself were playing ahead of him.  Perhaps Tryamkin saw an unfairness in more than just his icetime?  

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I believe the players who are the best deserve to play.  Stecher was (arguably) our best defence man to the point he got cut.  We lost a very good young d man, who went back to Russia because he didn't understand why players who were not playing as well as himself were playing ahead of him.  Perhaps Tryamkin saw an unfairness in more than just his icetime?  

C'mon Alf. You want Benning to make room for a young d-man that has never played a professional game right out of camp? But when he keeps the young unproven players you say this.....do you not see any inconsistency with this?

photo-thumb-125404.jpg

Alflives replied to Ossi Vaananen's topic in Canucks Talk

The Canucks will push Olli and other young players, perhaps not ready, to sell seats.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

C'mon Alf. You want Benning to make room for a young d-man that has never played a professional game right out of camp? But when he keeps the young unproven players you say this.....do you not see any inconsistency with this?

photo-thumb-125404.jpg

Alflives replied to Ossi Vaananen's topic in Canucks Talk

The Canucks will push Olli and other young players, perhaps not ready, to sell seats.

Stecher was our best D at camp, and during preseason.  If I New how to find previous posts (like you - smarty pants) I would dig up one from last preseason, where I wrote that Stecher was our best Dman.  Maybe (since you're a smarty pants:) you could find it for old Alfy?  ::D

Just now, Alflives said:

You'd be a poor manager. You have to weigh depth and experience in your decisions. Preseason, when a lot of prospects are playing, is not the regular season. Had Benning gone purely on merit, Tryamkin would have been the one cut and sent back to Russia. For some reason I doubt you would have been happy about that either.

Was Tryamkin better defefensively than Tanev? Was he better offensively than Stecher? No. Those are the guys on the right side he was competing with for ice time. Which of them wasn't playing as well? There was no unfairness involved. Tryamkin left because he and his young bride missed their mommies more than anything else. He stood to make more money here than Russia. Do you honestly believe ice time was his biggest concern? Do you honestly believe he'd rather play 20 minutes per game in Russia for less money than 17 minutes per game here for more money? I don't. Russians tend to be all about the money. Actually I think it had mostly to do with a new young bride unhappy being so far from home in a foreign land. But if it was ice time, he's putting himself over the team and believes he shouldn't have to earn what he gets. You say the best deserves to play then ignore who was the better option for specific roles when it comes to Tryamkin.

Seems to me you're playing favorites rather than what's best overall for the team.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Stecher was our best D at camp, and during preseason.  If I New how to find previous posts (like you - smarty pants) I would dig up one from last preseason, where I wrote that Stecher was our best Dman.  Maybe (since you're a smarty pants:) you could find it for old Alfy?  ::D

But if the Canucks had kept Stecher, and he failed during the regular season, you would have been saying "The Canucks will push Stecher and other young players, perhaps not ready, to sell seats." It would have been more of the Canucks don't know how to develop young players.

Just now, Rick Blight said:

But if the Canucks had kept Stecher, and he failed during the regular season, you would have been saying "The Canucks will push Stecher and other young players, perhaps not ready, to sell seats." It would have been more of the Canucks don't know how to develop young players.

Wasn't Stecher 22?  Young, yes, but not 19 like Jake and McCann, and Olli will be, right?  

Archived