The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you believe the Canucks can ever become a dynasty?

fanfor42

The following  is a great question to ponder in the off season.  In the modern era of hockey, Montreal, New York Islanders, Edmonton, Chicago, maybe Detroit, maybe Pittsburgh, maybe others have created, at one time or another, teams that the fans of  the league would call dynasties.

Vancouver has been in the NHL since 1970. No dynasty so far. In fact, no cup so far. So what's the deal? Is there some reason why other cities can create teams that become dynasties in the NHL but Vancouver cannot?  Are we inferior? Do we lack the ability to attract top end management talent? Are our media so poisonous that no team can gain traction? And the most salient question, do Vancouver fans somehow lack what it takes to support a team to become a dynasty?

Fans in Chicago and Boston say yes. We've all read those comments.

Vancouver is rebuilding again. It's happened numerous times over the past 47 years. So here we go again and the question has to be asked, are we capable? Can we win a cup and even more to the point can we ever form a dynasty? Why would we ever sell ourselves short? Do we truly think we are maybe, maybe capable of someday winning a cup but are never capable of being a dynasty?  If so, why? Why? This stuff is not handed down by god. it's created by a belief in a fan base that their team deserves it and a belief by ownership and management that it is possible.

Can the Canucks ever be a dynasty?

For me this question is a test for this fan base. I've been cheering for the team since the beginning.  There are great fans here. I meet them all the time.

Over the years the media has said the following of the Vancouver fan base. We are  just a bunch of whiners.  (Yes we've been called that).  The media says we can't support a rebuild cuz Vancouver is an event town. WTF?  And lately they've been suggesting Vancouver fans don't know enough to allow prospects to grow without undue pressure.

As far as I'm concerned that's all a bunch of crap. Total crap. Vancouver has tremendous fans.  Vancouver fans are the Chicago Cubs fans of the NHL.  We have been taking it on the chin for 47 years and counting. Vancouver fans support the Canucks and shut out all the other junk.. Every fan has had to turn the other cheek at some point when some excitable Oilers or Flames fan has reminded them that the Canucks have never won a cup.  Every Canucks fan knows deep down that the media and the trolls and the loud noise from the other cities can jolly well go in the crapper.

So the question is, can  Vancouver ever become an NHL dynasty team?

(ps Have a laugh every time you see someone answer that the Canucks have not even won a cup...cuz they didn't bother to read past the title. Lol).

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Are you expecting Canucks fans on a Canucks forum to say, "no, never"?

My vote is no. Been cheering for them long enough to temper expectations. I just hope we're not a bottom dwelling dynasty.

Being a Sabre fan perhaps you can relate? Then again perhaps GM Eichel can turn the ship around. :)

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

My vote is no. Been cheering for them long enough to temper expectations. I just hope we're not a bottom dwelling dynasty.

Being a Sabre fan perhaps you can relate? Then again perhaps GM Eichel can turn the ship around. :)

I won't hold my breath on either the Sabres or Canucks becoming a dynasty, but I will never say never.

No, there are no modern dynasties in Hockey.  The Hawks are as close as you come recently with 3 cups in 6 years one a lockout year

The Wings are the closest to a true dynasty with back to back cup wins in 97/98.

A true dynasty is 3 championships in a row (meaning honestly the Oilers never had a true dynasty and the Islanders are the last true dynasty in the NHL).  As of now the only two sports in the NA markets to have that consistently or close to are the NFL and NBA

Screw the Canucks for a moment, look at the entire league.  There will never be another true dynasty in the NHL

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Are you expecting Canucks fans on a Canucks forum to say, "no, never"?

Thank you for implying that we're all so uninformed that we'd base our answers on blind devotion rather than logic.

To answer the OP's question, No. True dynasties are incredibly rare these days thanks to the cap, and with the new draft lottery system that's in place, it's pretty much impossible now.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Thank you for implying that we're all so uninformed that we'd base our answers on blind devotion rather than logic.

To answer the OP's question, No. True dynasties are incredibly rare these days thanks to the cap, and with the new draft lottery system that's in place, it's pretty much impossible now.

You're welcome, but I refuse to say never.

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No, there are no modern dynasties in Hockey.  The Hawks are as close as you come recently with 3 cups in 6 years one a lockout year

The Wings are the closest to a true dynasty with back to back cup wins in 97/98.

A true dynasty is 3 championships in a row (meaning honestly the Oilers never had a true dynasty and the Islanders are the last true dynasty in the NHL).  As of now the only two sports in the NA markets to have that consistently or close to are the NFL and NBA

Screw the Canucks for a moment, look at the entire league.  There will never be another true dynasty in the NHL

Who ever defined a 'true dynasty'? It could just as arbitrarily be defined as 4 championships in a row. 

To answer the OP, not in a salary cap era. Teams will inevitably be priced out of the entire cast that made them good.

11 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Fans in Chicago and Boston say yes. We've all read those comments.

Blackhawk fans have some mighty short memories. Anyone remember their 2006-07 season because they sure don't :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Who ever defined a 'true dynasty'? It could just as arbitrarily be defined as 4 championships in a row. 

To answer the OP, not in a salary cap era. Teams will inevitably be priced out of the entire cast that made them good.

It;s entirely debatable and up to a persons personal point of view.  but for me, and many others.  3 in a row is the mark of a dynastic team.

A sports dynasty is a team or individual that dominates their sport or league for an extended length of time. The definition of dynasty by some academics implies a single leader over the bulk of that period.

http://www.tatteredpennant.com/home/sports-dynasty-is-not-up-for-debate

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/what-defines-a-sports-dynasty

In the cap era, there is no such thing as a dynasty man.  You can be competitive for a few years running, but you are going to run into the same old story of having to dump talent in order to keep talent.  You have to be extremely lucky in getting good draft picks to pop out of the woodwork in order to even have a competitive team for longer than a few years.

Dynasties aren't good for overall business. All sports leagues are trending towards parity. This means more overall revenue as in theory, no team is 'out of it' until the very end.

The answer to your question is no. The goal nowadays is sustainable competition. This philosophy contradicts players unions as it means a hell of a lot more player movement because of talent earning big dollars. Lots of work for the brass. Does make things interesting and give the impression of all teams having a chance.

I don't have a problem with the current structure. The Oilers are the last team to be gifted riches. It's going to get even more interesting now.

Archived