The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you believe the Canucks can ever become a dynasty?

fanfor42

There hasn't been a dynasty since the Oilers of the 80s. There have been some great teams, but the days of dynasties are over.

I think the Canucks are at a good starting point to build a championship team. There's a ways to go before they'll contend again, but they have some nice pieces so far (Horvat, Boeser, Dahlen, Stecher, Juolevi, Demko), and they'll get at least one more piece at the draft.

I'm uncertain of your correlation between the actions or feelings of a fanbase, and the perception of them by outsiders and media, to having a dynasty. Especially when you have ownership that always spends to the cap.

It's on the management, coaches and players to do that, not the viewer.

Dynasty? Why don't we try to get a winning season and playoffs under our belts again before we start talking dynasty.

Realistically, no. With free agency, salary caps, and a team that is so isolated as to have most players know that playing here has additional headaches, I would say we would be lucky to see 1-2 Cup appearances in Horvat's career. I'm not denigrating Vancouver itself, or the Canucks; I'm a die hard fan since about 1975. I just don't see that dynasties are really even that possible any more (never mind the Patriots, they are the exception to damn near all the rules).

I'd say the minimum requirement to become a dynasty is the modern Blackhawks or the late 90s early 2thousands red wings.

The late 90s avalanche and the early 90s penguins just fell short.

The current Pittsburgh penguins could very well Trump the modern hawks if they keep up their success but that's still yet to be seen.

And no original 6 team before the great expansion because of the fact of how small the league was.

So in my opinion. The first dynasty was the mid 70s Canadiens, then the early 80s islanders (in my opinion the greatest dynasty of all time), then the 80s oilers, then the 90s/2000s red wings and now the Blackhawks. 

There is quite a difference between the red wings and hawks and the oilers islanders and Canadiens but the league is much different now and the size of the league and parity of teams needs to be factored in.

So all in all, 5 dynasties all time. And I think soon to be 6 with Crosby and Malkins penguins.

I've been a fan for over 25 years now and I have never even though about if we can be a dynasty or not. My sole hope is for us to win a cup. We can the go on to ponder about consecutive cups and so on. I just really hope we wint have to endure what we did in the late 90's and the early stages of the new century. That was a tough time for fans. The past few years have been tough but that was much tougher time to handle for me personally.

5 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

You focus so much on the drafting and forgot to mention the coaching. Without Toe Blake, Al Arbour and Scotty Bowman those dynasties may have just been contending teams. Dynasties are more than just one element, they are all the stars lining up and working out. If dynasties were that simple, the league would be MUCH MORE in parity.

Sure they had great coaching...but WD could have coached any of those teams to many cups too.  Montreal and Edmonton were the most stacked teams ever.  Potvin, Smith, Trottier, Bossy, Goring, the Sutter brothers were no slouches either.  Gretzky said his greatest appponent ever was Potvin.  I stand by what I said drafting is the biggest element to creating a dynasty, it isn't rocket science or a magical lucky thing.  It happens because if who they picked.  Montreal was almost completely home grown, except for Frank.  Like is said I grew up watching these teams, I didn't learn about them through books and Google.

The only way I see a team having a dynasty is if they get a generational talent on an entry-level deal, and then winning the cup all 3 years of that contract.  

The only way for this to happen is if they already have an ok team, and then luck out on the draft lottery. They'd have to be 13th 14th or 15th worst overall in the first place and THEN win the first overall pick. 

Otherwise salary cap basically screws any team of winning multiple cups in a row.

I was pondering a question myself the other day. I don't think it's thread worthy so I'M going to throw it in here. I've always pondered if the Canucks can win a Cup in my lifetime and honestly I doubt it, but that got me thinking about something else. How much more time will the NHL be around? Surely it will end in what 50, 100 years maybe more. But when technology gets to a certain point I'm sure the sports we know now will disappear. There are no gladiators around after all. 

So the depressing part of my thought was we have managed to not win a Cup for 47 years is it possible for us or another team to never win a Cup. Statistically you should win one every 30 now 31 years but lots of teams have managed to not do that. Anyways hopefully Benning and Linden can win us one and put that thought to bed.

I see a dynasty forming with the young guys. It's all up to how much our young guys want it. We do have the skill and potential coming up to be a threat every year.. don't listen to the media or half of CDC. JB is doing great and he's building a winning team.. Dynasty? I hope so, but I'll settle for just 1 cup before another rebuild

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Going "all in" really helped Minnesota and Washington this year huh? 

It's all about increasing your chances. May as well take that swing while your window is open.. too bad we got a Ballard instead of a Shattenkirk for our run

Nothing wrong with the "all in" approach what so ever

As many others have said, dynasties are a thing of the past. I wouldn't exactly consider Chicago a dynasty, they've been one of the better teams over the last few years but the Kings were right there with them.

I'll be 27 pretty quick and I've a lot of hockey left to watch, all that considered I'd be happy just to see us win once before I die.

2 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I'd say the minimum requirement to become a dynasty is the modern Blackhawks or the late 90s early 2thousands red wings.

The late 90s avalanche and the early 90s penguins just fell short.

The current Pittsburgh penguins could very well Trump the modern hawks if they keep up their success but that's still yet to be seen.

And no original 6 team before the great expansion because of the fact of how small the league was.

So in my opinion. The first dynasty was the mid 70s Canadiens, then the early 80s islanders (in my opinion the greatest dynasty of all time), then the 80s oilers, then the 90s/2000s red wings and now the Blackhawks. 

There is quite a difference between the red wings and hawks and the oilers islanders and Canadiens but the league is much different now and the size of the league and parity of teams needs to be factored in.

So all in all, 5 dynasties all time. And I think soon to be 6 with Crosby and Malkins penguins.

The Kings won two titles in between the Hawks " Dynasty" you refer to. Hawks never one b2b and were out in the first round  ( Between 10-15) twice. I think it's much harder to be an Oilers or Islanders of the 80's. But I don't think the definition nor requirements should be changed .

The last true dynasty was the Islanders, although you could certainly throw in an honorable mention for the Oilers five out of seven is pretty impressive, but only two consecutive. However, the way things have gone for the Canucks through the years just one will make me happy. :rolleyes:

Archived