The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade proposal)

Shades of Brian Burke,

Van trades Tanev + McIvney to Dallas for 3rd over all and 1  goalie (Take your pick)

Then Van trades 3rd overall, Subban and a 3rd round pick to NJ for 1st overall.

Sorry probably got McIvney's name wrong.

Dismantle at your pleasure.

5 minutes ago, 12-16-FG said:

Shades of Brian Burke,

Van trades Tanev + McIvney to Dallas for 3rd over all and 1  goalie (Take your pick)

It's McEneny..........

9 minutes ago, 12-16-FG said:

Shades of Brian Burke,

There's a relatively clear divide between the top 2 picks in this draft and the next batch. No way that gets you from 3rd to 1st.

Just no. What value is there in us getting the #1 overall pick this year? Just to get another 2nd line center? We need more young pieces anyways, stop trying to rush this. You don't build cup contenders in 3 years... Sick of these proposals to cut corners just so we can watch a mediocre team for 10+ years.

Just now, Aircool said:

Just no. What value is there in us getting the #1 overall pick this year? Just to get another 2nd line center? We need more young pieces anyways, stop trying to rush this. You don't build cup contenders in 3 years... Sick of these proposals to cut corners just so we can watch a mediocre team for 10+ years.

What would be the value in landing the top prospect in this years draft?

A lot.

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What would be the value in landing the top prospect in this years draft?

A lot.

Enough value to justify trading away an asset with a lot of value for them? Hischier and Patrick aren't worth the value of the #1 overall pick. It would be a giant overpay, and frankly, this team isn't a future first line center away from contending long term. That, and neither of these players are projected to have that ceiling.

2 minutes ago, Aircool said:

Enough value to justify trading away an asset with a lot of value for them? Hischier and Patrick aren't worth the value of the #1 overall pick. It would be a giant overpay, and frankly, this team isn't a future first line center away from contending long term. That, and neither of these players are projected to have that ceiling.

Not that I think this particular proposal is realistic, but you wouldn't trade Tanev, a 3rd, Subban, and McEneny for one of Patrick/Hischier?

Wow.

35 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not that I think this particular proposal is realistic, but you wouldn't trade Tanev, a 3rd, Subban, and McEneny for one of Patrick/Hischier?

Wow.

Not the players I want, nor the timing. That's probably good value though yes, I would agree.

1) I think to get the 3rd overall we'd have to give something more. Probably Tanev + 2nd round pick (hopefully Columbus' pick but realistically I think we'd have to give the 33rd overall). Tanev alone is probably worth a late 1st. Bump his value up with a 33rd overall and you have a 3rd overall.

2) To get the 1st or 2nd overall I think we'd have to give a lot to move the 3rd overall up. Philadelphia would probably be a more suitable trading partner. I think this trade revolves around Gaudette. One of the NCAA's best players but unproven at the NHL level yet. It'd be a hard trade to make.

TO NJD: 3rd overall + Gaudette

TO VAN: 1st overall

For Philly I think we can get away with less but they'd probably want someone on the NHL roster now.

TO PHI: 3rd overall + Granlund + Subban

TO VAN: 2nd overall + Morin/Hagg (probably not enough for Sanheim)

At the end of the day that's Gaudette + Tanev + 33rd overall for the 1st overall. Seems fair to me, especially if we keep our 5th overall. Draft Hirschier (a future 1st line center) and a defenceman like Heiskanen or Makar with the 5th overall and we replace Gaudette and Tanev instantly with some very high quality in the future.

1 hour ago, Aircool said:

Not the players I want, nor the timing. That's probably good value though yes, I would agree.

Firstly, that deal is hilariously lopsided for us.

Secondly, can you care to elaborate on why those "aren't they players you want"?, because personally, I want the best player out of this draft, even if that "best player" only amounts to a good second liner. Worst case scenario is that player is redundant here and we flip them for a king's ransom somewhere down the line.

Tanev for Lehtonen + 3rd Overall

3rd Overall to Arizona for Crouse + 7th Overall 

Stecher and 33rd overall to Minnesota for Dumba 

Pick at 3 Cody Glass

Pick at 7 Timothy Liljegren

Dumba replaces Tanev with Liljegern and Juolevi waiting in the wings. Pretty soon our defence starts looking like Calgary, Minnesota or Anaheim's. Adding Crouse gives us more meat and potatoes in our top 9 forward group. He was a -20 last year on a brutal Coyotes team but I bet he can reach his full potential here in Vancouver doing the thing that he does. He gives us two good power forwards potentially playing on a line with Virtanen reminiscent of Boston's Lucic-Krejci-Horton line in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. 

10 hours ago, 12-16-FG said:

Shades of Brian Burke,

Why not just trade Tanev directly to NJ with extras...they lost Larsson and could use some help defensively....not sure they would do it but we could do worse trading Tanev then getting the first overall this draft.

2 hours ago, zzbottom said:

Canucks fans are the worst at trade proposals. 

No the are just like most other fan bases. Overate their players and prospects and figure other GM's have no say in the matter and are a bunch of rubes.

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Firstly, that deal is hilariously lopsided for us.

Secondly, can you care to elaborate on why those "aren't they players you want"?, because personally, I want the best player out of this draft, even if that "best player" only amounts to a good second liner. Worst case scenario is that player is redundant here and we flip them for a king's ransom somewhere down the line.

I agree that we get good value in these proposed trades. Which automatically means Jim Benning is incapable of making such trades, he never gets better than fair value.

I would liken any trade to acquire another high first in this draft to the Erik Gudbranson trade. We'd acquire a player that won't provide that much value and doesn't fit the profile of what we need long term. I would have traded Jared McCann, but not for Erik Gudbranson. We're not Hischier or Patrick away from cup contention, and unfortunately those players make us better in the relatively short term. This makes it harder to acquire future #1 overall picks (potentially without paying a ransom for them when we talk about realistic value). Also, there are just better drafts to do such trades in, this isn't the one. We should be stocking up on picks for next year's draft for sure. My preference would be that we just draft a player from the 2nd tier of talent in this draft (picks 3-9/10).. So we fit in there at #5 quite comfortably. There is virtually no distinguishable gap in value between this picks, and take a player with the best combination of highest upside and lowest bust potential. Wait to make the fancy trades when we really are a first overall pick away from solidifying our future core.

Sorry the whole idea was to get the 1st while keeping the 5th, The way i look at it is this, I wouldn't want Carrick, TO's 1st and Liepsic for Tanev. This trade gives us nothing. It's a side ways deal. Vancouvers ultimate need is a centre man, probably three centre men. In the next two draft's.  And not to down play a third pick or the players I have included but Subban and McEney are prospects B at best.  So i refuse to see this as a overpayment. It's more out of necessity. And this league is full of trades that have overpayment from 1 team to the other.  (NJ - Van) (Bo) (Fla- Van) Bure.  (St Lou- Van) 1989 and so on.

7 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Tanev for Lehtonen + 3rd Overall

3rd Overall to Arizona for Crouse + 7th Overall 

Stecher and 33rd overall to Minnesota for Dumba 

Pick at 3 Cody Glass

Pick at 7 Timothy Liljegren

Dumba replaces Tanev with Liljegern and Juolevi waiting in the wings. Pretty soon our defence starts looking like Calgary, Minnesota or Anaheim's. Adding Crouse gives us more meat and potatoes in our top 9 forward group. He was a -20 last year on a brutal Coyotes team but I bet he can reach his full potential here in Vancouver doing the thing that he does. He gives us two good power forwards potentially playing on a line with Virtanen reminiscent of Boston's Lucic-Krejci-Horton line in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. 

I'm sure you meant PICK @ 5 (you traded away the #3 OA to ARZ to get Crouse + 7th)

Not so sure we want Stecher to be the itty-bitty Dman we trade...I think keep Stecher and maybe move Subban? Either way, there's only room enough for one midget sized Dman...we need the rest to be beast-mode monsters.

Archived