The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour-Eklund) Canucks and Paul Byron

It does seem like Benning has decided he is OK with undersized skill wingers to amp up the speed of the team.  If they are paired with bigger, tougher centres and some size on the blue line it can work fine.

Not all of our guys are going to work out, so adding extra depth is fine as long as the cost is reasonable.

It doesn't seem like a deal that would happen now unless it is part of a package, since it only means Byron or someone else is eligible to be plucked for expansion.

It could be a defensive move hoping to have a forward asset that Vegas would want so we keep Sbisa.  D after expansion will be worth a ton because at least six more teams will lose a top 4 guy, and half the league is already trying to add to their top 4 without that.

This makes no sense. He's under contract through 2018-19, at a very cheap cap hit, and he's coming off a career year. 

Byron is a nifty little player but he hardly fits into this team's plans. He's a 28 year old utility forward. Not an acquisition that screams rebuild. 

Can't imagine us giving up assets for him. Not saying that he isn't worth the assets (for another team looking to add quality depth at a cheap cap hit). Just that it would be a backward step for this team to pay out any kind of assets for players in Byron's age group. 

Although I'd consider a deal for Byron that involved Eriksson's contract moving the other way. ;) 

34 minutes ago, theminister said:

Did no one watch the Habs this year?

He was one of their best players.

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

This makes no sense. He's under contract through 2018-19, at a very cheap cap hit, and he's coming off a career year. 

Byron is a nifty little player but he hardly fits into this team's plans. He's a 28 year old utility forward. Not an acquisition that screams rebuild. 

Can't imagine us giving up assets for him. Not saying that he isn't worth the assets (for another team looking to add quality depth at a cheap cap hit). Just that it would be a backward step for this team to pay out any kind of assets for players in Byron's age group. 

Although I'd consider a deal for Byron that involved Eriksson's contract moving the other way. ;) 

1 hour ago, theminister said:

Did no one watch the Habs this year?

He was one of their best players.

I watched the Habs quite a bit this year and yeah,  he had a breakout season - but he pulled a dissapearing act in the playoffs  (yeah,  I know a few Habs did as well) which casts doubt as to whether he could handle the much more physical western conference. We're already pretty average sized on forward,  he wouldn't be helping us in that dept. 

Archived