The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] With Juices Contract Up Do The Canucks Bring Him Back?

45 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

Why?......WHY? Do people think this guy is a good mentor or role model?

He's lackadaisical at best lazy at worst and a totally self-absorbed player.

"Do I feel like pinching? Ya.....Do I feel like hitting? mm....not tonight......That was my guy who scored? You're ALL my guys, so shut up"

Do you ever remember him fighting to defend a teamate? I don't, I remember him fighting if someone pissed HIM off......and if he felt like fighting. Kesler was the same way.

He was good to have here when he helped form part of our identity (remember when everyone hated us?)

But he never has and never will be a mentor..........unless he feels like it

I remember bieksa taking the opening face off on Lain's behalf against Calgary when they started their goons. 

Maybe he just felt like taking the face off though. He was either selfishly stealing a rookies thunder or protecting a kid in his first ever NHL game about to get used as a punching bag the moment the puck dropped. See it how you want.

35 years old, I wouldn't touch him. 

Honestly if I were JB I'd try to clean out the vets on this defence a bit. Edler, Tanev and Sbisa, consider trading a couple of them, then if we really want, sign a UFA veteran defenceman. 

We haven't had a good mix of leadership and good defensive abilities in the same player since Salo/Ohlund/Mitchell and it's been a gaping hole on this team for a long time. Edler and Tanev are good to an extent, as is Sbisa, but neither of them are leaders. Really hoping Gudbranson steps in as a bit of a mature leader but we'll see.

Bieksa's a great character guy but doesn't back up his leadership with top notch performance. 

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bring him back as the new color guy on the hockey broadcasts, and make him a regular on the new Canuck's (650 am) station.  He'd be great at that role!

150% agree.  u know he's staying in hockey. I'm guessing hnic

A veteran role model would be an aging star player that can still at the very least, be on par with the new prospects.  If his only contribution now is being 'tough' on the ice, there are countless aging players that could fulfill that inspiration. We also have Dorsett. Bieksa at his age, would continue to make more mistakes, and be able to play less minutes. How would the young players, some who have never even played with him before, respect him as a leader on the ice? Locker room frivolity aside.  What is Stetcher going to learn from him? I love him as a former Canuck and his contributions to the mental health issue, but he'd be a waste of space and cap room. But maybe he'd be a darling of the tankists, as I'm sure he'd be responsible for a few more goals against next year if he landed a permanent position here.

He has another full season with the Ducks.

Ask me in a year and I'll have a better answer.

Pretty surprised at all the flat out "No"s in this thread... the guy has been a big factor for a team that's in the West final. Have some respect for the goat.

It would take exactly 1 game for him to become the new whipping boy....

But yeah bring him back, and while we're at it bring back Naslund and Jovocop too... 

All be it, I really miss juices toughness on the back line, but thats Juice anno 2011

On 5/22/2017 at 2:10 AM, dpn1 said:

I think Kevin could make a great mentor for all the young dmen we have.  If Tanev gets traded he could be a good guy in the room and add some toughness.

you mean like for an assistant coach?

I think one day he may be a good coach (Assistant or otherwise).  I don't think he will retire next season.  Some one will pick him up when the Ducks buy him out,  Also, Juice was his nickname.:)

On 5/21/2017 at 11:10 AM, dpn1 said:

I think Kevin could make a great mentor for all the young dmen we have.  If Tanev gets traded he could be a good guy in the room and add some toughness.

that would beiksalent.

Archived