The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Yakopov worth picking up?

Nail Yakupov is a RFA on July 1st and it’s very unlikely the Blues qualify him. Vegas or another team that is looking offense could be interested on a short-term, low money contract – like the LA Kings. Yakopov said he doesn’t want to return to the KHL.

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-edmonton-oilers-jason-demers-sabres-maple-leafs-yakupov/2017/05/20/

A possible reclamation project? Sign to a one year contract, play him with the Sedins and sell him off at the deadline? 

The Canucks are going to need NHL bodies and would rather they take some flyers on young guys with upside.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Speculation] Yakopov worth picking up?

Please pay attention to where you're posting. This does not belong in the 'Trades, Rumours, Signings' forum and have moved your thread to 'Proposals and Armchair GM'ing' with appropriate tags in the thread title.

Please refer to this thread for a list of tags to use when creating a topic related to Armchair GM'ing:

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/292148-all-threads-must-contain-tags/

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Please pay attention to where you're posting. This does not belong in the 'Trades, Rumours, Signings' forum and have moved your thread to 'Proposals and Armchair GM'ing' with appropriate tags in the thread title.

Please refer to this thread for a list of tags to use when creating a topic related to Armchair GM'ing:

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/292148-all-threads-must-contain-tags/

Thanks.

It is a rumour about a player who may not be qualified by his current team. Just wondering how it does not qualify for the Rumour section?

Just now, The 5th Line said:

3 goals in 40 games last year...ouch.

Kudos to him for still trying.  A lot of Russians would of ran away to the motherland by now so that they could avoid the humiliation.

He doesn't know how to play, lacks any sort of hockey IQ and he looks like he's being chased by bees when hes out there.

He sounds perfect for the Couv. 

9 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

It is a rumour about a player who may not be qualified by his current team. How does that qualify for the Rumour section?

"Nail Yakupov is a RFA on July 1st and it’s very unlikely the Blues qualify him."

First off, it is more of a speculation than a rumour as the quote from Luke Fox suggests. Second off, your thread title and post indicates a thread more suited in the Armchair GM'ing forum than in the other section.

Feel free to PM if you have any further questions.

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

I suspect you'd change your mind when you actually saw what he could do here.

Well I just don't think it'd hurt to give him some proper coaching on learning how to play the game as he's got great technical skills. I doubt it'd cost a whole lot, and it's not like we're going to be in the playoff hunt. Worse comes to worse, we either trade him for nothing, or we waive him. 

He's only 23.  Think where the Sedins were at age 23.

Not saying he'll ever have a career nearly as successful as them, but some are late bloomers.  Just unfortunate as 1 OA are expected to immediately arrive in the NHL with guns blazing. 

If the Canucks can undo all the damage done by the Oiler, he Yaks could easily be a good 2nd line player.  If a very low cost/high reward situation is possible, they should take that chance. 

Guy has incredible amount of skill but what messed up his career was the lacklustre management in Oiler country when he was still there. He needs to learn to play a 200 ft game and not just think all offence and I think he'd be a great 3rd liner if he can get his defensive awareness up

No. Unfortunately, he is another one of young player whose career basically got screwed up thanks to the Oilers development. 

You know why it's hard to cheer for the Oilers? Because they have ruined so many good young players' careers to get to where they are. F*cking up prospect after prospect without giving an ounce of consideration for what is best for the player... Then, they got lucky with McDavid and Draisaitl and act like somehow that their success is well deserved. Now, they are trying to drive RNH and Eberle out of town.

I really hope the cup comes back to Canada soon, even i fit's Toronto and as much as I hate Calgary, even if it's Calgary... but if the Oilers bring the cup, it's Edmonton's cup, not Canada's. The way Edmonton Oilers conduct hockey business is an embarrassment to the proud history of hockey Canada. Edmonton is on par with a shameless franchises like Pittsburgh (losing games intentionally for Lemieux).

Archived