The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Complimentary Players

Nucktika

Vancouver Canucks have being doing a good job lately of acquiring the right players needed to move the organization forward. Acquiring players is just one part of the equation. Developing them and matching them up with the right players that complement them is key. As our prospect poll stands i believe these players complement each other the most:

A. Sven Baertschi (LW) - Bo Hovart (C) - Anton Rodin (RW)

Sven Baertschi Left Wing -- shoots L. Height 5.11 -- Weight 190 [180 cm/86 kg]Born Oct 5 1992 -- Bern, Switzerland 
[24 yrs. ago]

Skill set/Tendencies: Reads plays well. Good on the give & go. finds open scoring areas around the net. Looks for stretch passes

Complimentary Line mates: Gritty 200ft center that drives the middle and net (creates room and screens and rebound goals). A play making right winger with skill

Bo Hovart Center -- shoots L. Height 6.00 -- Weight 223 [183 cm/101 kg] Born Apr 5 1995 -- London, ONT 
[22 yrs. ago]

Skill Set/Tendencies: Drive the net like a bull. Strong 200ft game. North South player. Like the drag move that works 20% of the time. fights for loose pokes around the net. Above average passing ability.

Complimentary Line mates: Good skilled play making wingers. Good finish and passing skills

Anton Rodin Right Wing -- shoots L. Height 5.11 -- Weight 181 [180 cm/82 kg]Born Nov 21 1990 -- Stockholm, Sweden 
[26 yrs. ago] 

Skill Set/Tendencies: Shooter/sniper that plays his opposite side on Right wing (ideal for sniper type). Not afraid to drive the net. Good play maker. Good skater. High hockey IQ

Complimentary Line mates: gritty center that drives the net. skilled winger with good passing skills and high IQ 

B. Jonathan Dahlen (LW) - Cole Cassels (C) - Nikolay Goldobin (RW)

Jonathan Dahlen Center -- shoots L. Height 5.11 -- Weight 176 [180 cm/80 kg]. Born Dec 20 1997 
[19 yrs. ago] 

Skill set/Tendencies: highly skilled. drives the net. small but gritty, good shot. shot first & left shot. effective on the left side, shooter. takes it to the net

Complimentary Line mates: 200ft fiesty center that is good along the boards and behind the net. Pass first right shoot center. Skilled winger with speed & skill, shooter

Cole Cassels Center -- shoots R. Height 6.00 -- Weight 180 [183 cm/82 kg]. Born May 4 1995 -- Hartford, CT 
[22 yrs. ago]

Skill Set/Tendencies: Good 200ft player. Looks to pass first. Gritty. Strong along the boards. Drives the net.

Nikolay Goldobin Left Wing -- shoots L. Height 5.11 -- Weight 185 [180 cm/84 kg]. Born Oct 7 1995 -- Moscow, Russia 
[21 yrs. ago]

Skill Set/Tendencies: Highly skilled. Sniper. speed, looks for break aways, shots left but effective on the rightside.

Complimentary line mates: skilled winger with high IQ. Pass first defensive center that drives the net.

C. Jake Virtanen(LW) - Cody Glass (C)*** - Will Lockwood (RW)

Jake Virtanen Right Wing -- shoots R. Height 6.01 -- Weight 229 [185 cm/104 kg] Born Aug 17 1996 -- New Westminster, BC 
[20 yrs. ago]

Skill set/Tendencies: ,gritty. like to go on the outside when facing against opponent. looks for the hit. tends to carry the puck around the net from the right side. his power moves are more effective from the left side. sniper, power, speed. shoots right. will be more effective playing the left side. not a good playmaker and tends to carry the puck.

Complimentary Line mates: Gritty line mates.  centerman that is effective with and without the puck. north-south centerman. good defensively/positionally. drives the net. makes players around him better. strong primary assist centerman. Other forward can play both sides and fiesty.

Cody Glass (C)***Center -- shoots R. Height 6.02 -- Weight 179 [188 cm/81 kg]. Born Apr 1 1999 -- Winnipeg, MAN 
[18 yrs. ago]

Skill set/Tendencies

Will Lockwood Right Wing -- shoots R. Height 5.11 -- Weight 172 [180 cm/78 kg]. Born Jun 20 1998 -- Bloomfield Hills, MI 
[18 yrs. ago]

Skill Set: rightshot, small, gritt,  really skilled

D. Brock Boeser (LW)  - markus granlund (C)  - Loui Eriksson (RW)

Brock Boeser Right Wing -- shoots R. Height 6.01 -- Weight 191 [185 cm/87 kg]. Born Feb 25 1997 -- Burnsville, MN 
[20 yrs. ago]

Skill set: right shot, shooter. plays better on the left side

Markus Granlund Center -- shoots L. Height 6.00 -- Weight 178 [183 cm/81 kg] Born Apr 16 1993 -- Oulu, Finland 
[24 yrs. ago] 

Skill set: Skilled center man. High IQ and good shooter.

Loui Eriksson Left Wing -- shoots L. Height 6.02 -- Weight 196 [188 cm/89 kg]. Born Jul 17 1985 -- Goteborg, Sweden 
[31 yrs. ago]

Skill set: good defensively. Scores around the net

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Brandon Sutter

Don't think Cassels or Lockwood will be NHL players.  This is how I see our future lines turning out.

Dahlen-Glass-Goldobin

-Glass (If we select him in the draft) is a very good playmaker and 2 way center. Dahlen and Goldobin could be our 2 most offensive threats and Glass can be the set up man. 

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

-I think this line was our best line at the end of the year. Keep them together and see what they can do in a full season. 

Granlund-Gaudette-Virtanen

-Gaudette had an amazing year in college. Good two way game, and offensive instincts. Jake I see has a Raffi Torres type who can pot 20 goals and be a physical force. Granny had a good year and I think is most suited for a LW spot than C.

For next season, I don't think Cassels and Lockwood aren't going to be on the team.

1st line: Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser. A line of driver (Horvat), skilled playmaker (Baertschi), and sniper (Boeser). This can be a pretty good first line in few years and it would be a good idea to let them develop chemistry right away.

2nd line: Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin. With first line duties off of their shoulders, it will be interesting to see what they can do. Goldobin showed that he is an intelligent player who knew where to go when playing with the Sedins. And personally, thought he complimented the Sedins even better than Granlund. However, this line can be a defensive liability when matched against a faster opponent line. If Goldobin doesn't come to camp ready and Rodin shows up healthy and ready, that could create an opening for Rodin to slot in instead of Goldobin.

3rd line: Granlund-Sutter-Eriksson. Very balanced line. Defensively dependable and has enough skill to generate offence.

4th line: Up for grabs. I really can't imagine what is going to happen here. All 3 spots are up for grabs. Will be interesting to see what JB does to build up a capable, gritty 4th line to make up for lack of grit on the 1st to 3rd lines.

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Virtually zero grit on those lines with the exception of JV  (if he even earns a spot).

What line exactly is going to make it tough on opponents physically? 

there are generally 5 players on the lice. Grit can come from the back end. Grit doesn't mean you have to fight your opponents. Maintaining possession. playing a high IQ game can make it tough for opponents. A mobile blue line adds to that formula as well. players like Bo, Cody Glass (if drafted) Loui, Boeser, among others are strong on their skates. The suggested pieces doesn't include all prospects and potential future acquisitions.

28 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

Rodin will never play significant time in the NHL. 

why can't he if healthy and put in the right situation? Kids got potential. Even in the limited games he played last season. He was quite impressive.

11 minutes ago, khay said:

For next season, I don't think Cassels and Lockwood aren't going to be on the team.

1st line: Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser. A line of driver (Horvat), skilled playmaker (Baertschi), and sniper (Boeser). This can be a pretty good first line in few years and it would be a good idea to let them develop chemistry right away.

2nd line: Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin. With first line duties off of their shoulders, it will be interesting to see what they can do. Goldobin showed that he is an intelligent player who knew where to go when playing with the Sedins. And personally, thought he complimented the Sedins even better than Granlund. However, this line can be a defensive liability when matched against a faster opponent line. If Goldobin doesn't come to camp ready and Rodin shows up healthy and ready, that could create an opening for Rodin to slot in instead of Goldobin.

3rd line: Granlund-Sutter-Eriksson. Very balanced line. Defensively dependable and has enough skill to generate offence.

4th line: Up for grabs. I really can't imagine what is going to happen here. All 3 spots are up for grabs. Will be interesting to see what JB does to build up a capable, gritty 4th line to make up for lack of grit on the 1st to 3rd lines.

Strong points. My observation last season when Boeser was added to the Horvat line is that the production of Bo & Baertschi declined. Bo & baer read off of each other well. Rodin complements them better. with Rodin line was more fluid... a lot of give and go. A lot more smart creative players that lead to more chances.

Boeser needs to star on a different line.   As a right shot sniper, he is more effective on left wing with a right shot center (Granlund) feeding him. A net presence right winger creating traffic in front, screens and rebound goals (Loui).

Absolutely right about Goldobin being a smart player. He is most effective and exiting when he is using his speed to create chances. The Sedins don't offer him that. Sutter at this point is their best compliementary player (defensive awareness, can skate, Right shoot, doesn't need to carry the play...Think Anson Carter ). Dahlen - Cassel - Goldobin star as Comets top unit to start the season.

"Strong points. My observation last season when Boeser was added to the Horvat line is that the production of Bo & Baertschi declined"

This may have more to do with Bo's line being moved up to top line against better competition, than a ' misfit" with Boeser

Both Linden and Benning have a very clear and precise vision for the future, ya got to give em credit for being decisive and not flip flopping on concepts.

Speed and quickness with a high hockey IQ, the Lucic or Pronger North to South power style players are diminishing in the minds management. I'm betting Linden and Benning are on the right path to success.

2 minutes ago, Nucktika said:

Strong points. My observation last season when Boeser was added to the Horvat line is that the production of Bo & Baertschi declined. Bo & baer read off of each other well. Rodin complements them better. with Rodin line was more fluid... a lot of give and go. A lot more smart creative players that lead to more chances.

Boeser needs to star on a different line.   As a right shot sniper, he is more effective on left wing with a right shot center (Granlund) feeding him. A net presence right winger creating traffic in front, screens and rebound goals (Loui).

Absolutely right about Goldobin being a smart player. He is most effective and exiting when he is using his speed to create chances. The Sedins don't offer him that. Sutter at this point is their best compliementary player (defensive awareness, can skate, Right shoot, doesn't need to carry the play...Think Anson Carter ). Dahlen - Cassel - Goldobin star as Comets top unit to start the season.

I think Baer-Bo struggled because the other teams started to focus on them rather than the Sedins and also because the whole team just lost motivation once it became clear that they were going to miss the playoffs. But I do agree that Boeser may need to star on his own line but who centers him? 

Also, Baer-Horvat-Rodin seems like a good idea, if Rodin is indeed healthy. 

I think our depth at center is too weak for Sutter to be used on wing and Sutter's playmaking is just not good enough to be used as a center for wingers like Boeser, Goldobin, etc. I would use Sutter as a checking only role, like Malholtra and give him some gritty and fast wingers... but we do not have any. The team collected some supplementary pieces but it's not very well balanced at the moment. Some skilled players sure, but not much grit anywhere. No one, other than Sutter, is suited for the checking role either. The closest that we have to a checking player is probably Eriksson and Granlund but using Eriksson as 3rd line winger is really a waste of his talent.

For the time being, I can see Granlund-Sutter-Eriksson as a third line. They were good together and generated some good offence when they were together. Sedin-Sedin-Boeser is going to be way too slow and I think if we are going for more offence, the only choice for Sedins' winger is, Goldobin. That leaves Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser.

Of course, a lot can change in the off season. My guess is that there will be some trades this off season to address our needs.

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

"Strong points. My observation last season when Boeser was added to the Horvat line is that the production of Bo & Baertschi declined"

This may have more to do with Bo's line being moved up to top line against better competition, than a ' misfit" with Boeser

i believe Bo's line was playing against other teams top line prior to Boeser's arrival. i find their line was more effective when their right winger was a smart play maker (think Burrows or Rodin) and less effective with a sniper (think Radim V or Boeser)

5 minutes ago, 6string said:

Both Linden and Benning have a very clear and precise vision for the future, ya got to give em credit for being decisive and not flip flopping on concepts.

Speed and quickness with a high hockey IQ, the Lucic or Pronger North to South power style players are diminishing in the minds management. I'm betting Linden and Benning are on the right path to success.

couldn't agree more. Add a mobile D that can move play up ice quickly. Joining plays thus disrupting opponents set defensive sets

12 minutes ago, khay said:

I think Baer-Bo struggled because the other teams started to focus on them rather than the Sedins and also because the whole team just lost motivation once it became clear that they were going to miss the playoffs. But I do agree that Boeser may need to star on his own line but who centers him? 

Also, Baer-Horvat-Rodin seems like a good idea, if Rodin is indeed healthy. 

I think our depth at center is too weak for Sutter to be used on wing and Sutter's playmaking is just not good enough to be used as a center for wingers like Boeser, Goldobin, etc. I would use Sutter as a checking only role, like Malholtra and give him some gritty and fast wingers... but we do not have any. The team collected some supplementary pieces but it's not very well balanced at the moment. Some skilled players sure, but not much grit anywhere. No one, other than Sutter, is suited for the checking role either. The closest that we have to a checking player is probably Eriksson and Granlund but using Eriksson as 3rd line winger is really a waste of his talent.

For the time being, I can see Granlund-Sutter-Eriksson as a third line. They were good together and generated some good offence when they were together. Sedin-Sedin-Boeser is going to be way too slow and I think if we are going for more offence, the only choice for Sedins' winger is, Goldobin. That leaves Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser.

Of course, a lot can change in the off season. My guess is that there will be some trades this off season to address our needs.

Agreed. Depth at center is weak and Sutter's play making not good enough. Watching him at center in the offensive end makes me cringe. i find that using him on penalty kills and sticking him on right wing with good play makers were he doesn't have to carry the play is best. He simply needs to use his skating to retrieve, drive the net, & find open shooting spot. 

59 minutes ago, Nucktika said:

Grit can come from the back end. Grit doesn't mean you have to fight your opponents. Maintaining possession. playing a high IQ game can make it tough for opponents. 

Every team still in the playoffs has grit spread out amongst the forward group - without it you end up like the Coilers pre-Maroon/Lucy ect....skilled but completely weaksauce with no backbone and get walked over by grittier veteran teams.  No one said anyone has to fight -but have you seen a single playoff period this season - every guy on every forward line,  on every team is throwing hits out there with the exception of Kessel.   We currently do not have the personnel to do that. 

7 minutes ago, PlanB said:

No one said anyone has to fight -but have you seen a single playoff period this season - every guy on every forward line,  on every team is throwing hits out there with the exception of Kessel. 

LOL!  Best quote I've read since the playoffs started this year! 

13 minutes ago, PlanB said:

Every team still in the playoffs has grit spread out amongst the forward group - without it you end up like the Coilers pre-Maroon/Lucy ect....skilled but completely weaksauce with no backbone and get walked over by grittier veteran teams.  No one said anyone has to fight -but have you seen a single playoff period this season - every guy on every forward line,  on every team is throwing hits out there with the exception of Kessel.   We currently do not have the personnel to do that. 

come playoff time most players that generally don't throw hits do. Nashville is succeeding with strong possession from a very mobile skilled D. Makes it hard for "hitters" to get in on the forecheck. Am not saying that we have all the pieces yet. Adding a player like Cody Glass and/or mobile play making Dman is a step in the right direction. We don't necessarily need a Lucci or Maroon. We need new NHL fore checkers with speed and heart (labate, molino e.t.c).

Archived