The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Complimentary Players

Nucktika

20 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

If the quality of the Canucks' roster is such that Cassels or Virtanen make the cut, well...  Well, it's time to demote the team down to the AHL for starters.  Perhaps the ECHL.

Regarding Virtanen, best decision Green made was to put him on Left wing. He is forced to use his shot more and drive the net. i find that when he is on the right wing he tends to shot less and carry the poke around the net and back out with no purpose.  Kid needs to commit to his fitness he will be alright.  Play with a chip on his shoulders. Nylander (not denying the skill) sounds like a sexy pick now but come when Virtanen puts it all together...he will be the player u need to win in the playoffs when it counts. 

5 hours ago, Nucktika said:

agreed. I think we are one elite center and elite D away from true contention. Good gritty bottom forwards are abundant via free agency or trade. I still believe the Sedins to be elite 2nd liners at this point. I see Juolevi as a future top pairing D. Kid has high hockey IQ and ability to drive plays. He was definitely the right pick last year. 

I agree Juolevi is a fantastic pick that most people don't appreciate because of how Tkachuk has flown out of the gates, but he will be a top-2 defenceman on this team for a long time.

Unfortunately, if we want to be a contender, we need him to be a top-4 defenceman. That means, we need to get an elite guy on defence to play ahead of him. Juolevi reminds me a lot of Lindholm in Anaheim, great two-way slick skating defenceman. However Lindholm is far from elite, and a big reason the Ducks lost the playoffs IMO is their lack of that Norris-worthy defenceman. Meanwhile Nashville have Josi and Subban who could be arguably Norris contenders every single year.

If we can draft a star defenceman with the first round pick in 2018 we'll have a pretty fantastic defence core, and of course it will depend on what happens with Tanev and young guys like Brisebois/Subban. Essentially if we can have Juolevi as the #2 guy or 2nd pairing defenceman, we'll have the depth required to win in the playoffs.

For example:

Juolevi - Stecher
Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Tanev

Subban

Brisebois

That's good but is just not going to cut it in the playoffs in 3-5 years time. We need to fix our defence up a bit still:

2018 1st round pick - Stecher

Juolevi - UFA/trade

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa/Subban

That's the depth I think is required to win in the playoffs nowadays.

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I agree Juolevi is a fantastic pick that most people don't appreciate because of how Tkachuk has flown out of the gates, but he will be a top-2 defenceman on this team for a long time.

Unfortunately, if we want to be a contender, we need him to be a top-4 defenceman. That means, we need to get an elite guy on defence to play ahead of him. Juolevi reminds me a lot of Lindholm in Anaheim, great two-way slick skating defenceman. However Lindholm is far from elite, and a big reason the Ducks lost the playoffs IMO is their lack of that Norris-worthy defenceman. Meanwhile Nashville have Josi and Subban who could be arguably Norris contenders every single year.

If we can draft a star defenceman with the first round pick in 2018 we'll have a pretty fantastic defence core, and of course it will depend on what happens with Tanev and young guys like Brisebois/Subban. Essentially if we can have Juolevi as the #2 guy or 2nd pairing defenceman, we'll have the depth required to win in the playoffs.

For example:

Juolevi - Stecher
Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Tanev

Subban

Brisebois

That's good but is just not going to cut it in the playoffs in 3-5 years time. We need to fix our defence up a bit still:

2018 1st round pick - Stecher

Juolevi - UFA/trade

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa/Subban

That's the depth I think is required to win in the playoffs nowadays.

If we get lucky in the 2018 draft with Dahlin ... wow!

https://www.fanragsports.com/now/watch-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rasmus-dahlin-showcases-awesome-moves/

Imagine a top 2 pairing in a few years of Juolevi-Dahlin.

BTW, thanks for getting it right with 'complementary' in an earlier post.  'Complimentary' means 'free', and we know NHL players... especially 'best' ones... don't come free! :)

Archived