The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Really needs a defenceman? (Discussion)

I put this in the GM's Section as the question really impacts the Canucks and Benning's thinking

Although I have done a mock draft here, it is only to show you my thinking as to why Vancouver could trade either Tanev or Edler, and alternatively, why no one may want them for what Vancouver is asking.......................

So, first of all,

Picks 2 and 8. Anaheim and Minnesota will probably want to move a dencemen, so as not to loose them in the entry draft, so I have targeted the most likely destinations, they could be flipped but I don't think so. Tanev could be in on either of these depending what the asking price is, and what the value the other GM's place on Tanev

Pick 7 will be determined on whether Arizona wants to wait, or if they will enter the UFA market for Alzner or Shattenkirk. Vancouver could be a great trading partner

Pick 10 Can't get a read on Florida, but think that they will be active in the Alzner  and Shattenkirk sweepstakes.......their advantage is a tax free state!

Pick 14  Tampa, could be a partner to Vancouver, if Vancouver will carry cap for Edler......I think Edler would go to play with his buddy Hedman

Pick 17. Knowing Toronto, they will buy one of Alzner or Shattenkirk.........They may be interested in Tanev.....would they pay the price?

1. NJ                                   Patrick/Hischier

2. Phili                                Hischier/Patrick

3. Ana                                 Vilardi.........................................Dallas trades 2017 3rd OA to Anaheim for Fowler + 2016 1st (M. Jones 24 OA)

4. Col                                  Heiskanen

5. Van                                 Mittelstadt/Liljegren/Glass

6. LV                                   Glass/Tippett

7. Arizona                           Liljegren/Maker/Foote

8. Minnesota                       Tippett .......................................Buffalo trades 2017 8th OA to Minni for Brodin + 2017 3rd Round Pick

9. Detroit                              Maker

10. Florida                           Foote

11. LA                                 Necas...........................................LA needs to rebuild its forwards

12. Carolina                        Rasmussen/Petterson

13. Winnipeg                       Petterson/Rasmussen

14. Tampa                          Tolvanen......................................Tampa will probably loose a pretty good forward to the Entry Draft...Tolvanen replaces it quickly

15. NYI                               Valimaki

16. Calgary                         Poehling

17. Toronto                         Jokiharju.......................................Toronto just off signing 2 Swedish Defencemen, they continue the trend and draft a neighbouring Finn

18. Boston                           Hague

19. San Jose                       Andersson  

20. St. Louis                        Joseph

21. NYR                              Yamamoto

22. Edmonton                     Oettinger........................................ Interesting to see how Edmonton gets their much needed Dman..........maybe Carolina?

23. Arizona                          Vesalainen

24. Columbus                      Strome

25. Montreal                        Comtois

26. Chicago                         Popugayev

27. St. Louis                        Kostin

28. Dallas                            Luukkonen

29. Ottawa                           Bowers............................................Chabot will be in Ottawa next year (I think he will be Rookie of the year?)

30. Pittsburgh                      Vaakanainen

31. Nashville                        Suzuki 

I might have some of the spelling wrong, as their sure is a lot of Europeans

Don't get bent up on the picks, as I just sort of wanted to show my work. The bottom end of the draft is really a crap shoot

Is there really a shortage of Defenceman......probably Washington might think so by the end of the summer.......it will be interesting!

Feast away!

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nicely done.  I think we trade .Tanev, and come out of the draft with Glass at 5 and Makar with the Tanev trade.  

Edler to FLA would be a good deal for us to pull off as well. Jim could pick both Glass and Necas for replacing Henrik and Sutter. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Edler to FLA would be a good deal for us to pull off as well. Jim could pick both Glass and Necas for replacing Henrik and Sutter. 

I just want JB/TL/Aquaman to stay committed to a rebuild.  It follows then a couple more older guys gotta go.  I would be for trading Sutter and one of Edler or Tanev for picks/prospects.

Fowler not going to get traded away. He's their solid #1 all situation defenseman.

On Anaheim and Minnesota they will want to trade their defensemen prior to the expansion draft which may be a hard sell. for Dallas that would mean they expose Hamhuis and Johns. For Buffalo would mean they expose Jake McCabe or Bogosian which I doubt they want to expose Bogo even with his bad years.

The main thing is these guys HAVE to be moved by their respective team prior to the expansion draft or else they will get plucked. Therefore you'd think the buyers would expect a lowered price.

And also Anaheim and Minnesota will need to take back a exempt player or be forced to expose him. So futures or bust. Makes it more awkward because they are in a win now mode.

CBJ also has a decision to make with Ryan Murray. Again they are in more of a win now mode.

Those are some hidden details that you'll have to think about from the teams perspective both buying and selling. Seems to make for difficult trading partners if you are up to the cap of expansion eligibility players.

Carolina and Vancouver (probably more teams) are in a good position here. because we can protect the players and trade them to the teams that need defense the most after expansion and before the entry draft.

Or Carolina has a ton of exempt defenseman that can make good roster impacts now for one of these contending teams. For example they could trade Fleury for Vatanen+ and still look good upon the expansion.

For us we could trade Hutton out for a good young forward that would be exposable and expose Sutter potentially. Neiderreiter or Drouin for example. Would probably add but again exposure exempt for exposure eligible be interesting how that evaluates withing the GM circles.

The first option for teams that want to protect more than 3 d-men will be to see if they can strike a deal with Vegas prior to the expansion draft. Those teams like Minnesota and Anaheim will make it worthwhile to Vegas to select another player from their non-protected list either by exposing a forward that Vegas has identified interest in and/or by offering a draft pick that Vegas would prefer. Vegas will likely be agreeable to this approach as teams will say "either accept our offer or we will trade our d-man prior to the draft and he won't be available to you in that event".

I doubt the perceived problem with teams being able to protect their d-men is as big a deal as we are making it out to be.

3 hours ago, goblix said:

Fowler not going to get traded away. He's their solid #1 all situation defenseman.

On Anaheim and Minnesota they will want to trade their defensemen prior to the expansion draft which may be a hard sell. for Dallas that would mean they expose Hamhuis and Johns. For Buffalo would mean they expose Jake McCabe or Bogosian which I doubt they want to expose Bogo even with his bad years.

The main thing is these guys HAVE to be moved by their respective team prior to the expansion draft or else they will get plucked. Therefore you'd think the buyers would expect a lowered price.

And also Anaheim and Minnesota will need to take back a exempt player or be forced to expose him. So futures or bust. Makes it more awkward because they are in a win now mode.

CBJ also has a decision to make with Ryan Murray. Again they are in more of a win now mode.

Those are some hidden details that you'll have to think about from the teams perspective both buying and selling. Seems to make for difficult trading partners if you are up to the cap of expansion eligibility players.

Carolina and Vancouver (probably more teams) are in a good position here. because we can protect the players and trade them to the teams that need defense the most after expansion and before the entry draft.

Or Carolina has a ton of exempt defenseman that can make good roster impacts now for one of these contending teams. For example they could trade Fleury for Vatanen+ and still look good upon the expansion.

For us we could trade Hutton out for a good young forward that would be exposable and expose Sutter potentially. Neiderreiter or Drouin for example. Would probably add but again exposure exempt for exposure eligible be interesting how that evaluates withing the GM circles.

Solid points! Pretty interesting....would love to a fly on the wall, as everyone  shuffles their rosters or bangs their head against their desk....lol

3 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

The first option for teams that want to protect more than 3 d-men will be to see if they can strike a deal with Vegas prior to the expansion draft. Those teams like Minnesota and Anaheim will make it worthwhile to Vegas to select another player from their non-protected list either by exposing a forward that Vegas has identified interest in and/or by offering a draft pick that Vegas would prefer. Vegas will likely be agreeable to this approach as teams will say "either accept our offer or we will trade our d-man prior to the draft and he won't be available to you in that event".

I doubt the perceived problem with teams being able to protect their d-men is as big a deal as we are making it out to be.

To actually say that to Vegas may be expansion circumventing..........or black mail.....take your pick....lol

28 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Suzuki falling to 31, past Yamamoto even?  At least we'd have a great shot at getting Thomas at 33.

Wasn't  too worried about the bottom 15....did try and match needs though........don't think Thomas will there at our pick in the real world ......I like that Doan guy Too! 

In the imaginary world of me being gm, my mindset would be on trading, both Edler and Tanev. 

I would let Alex know of my intentions and put the ball in his court. Either he gives me a list of teams he would be willing to go to, or I remove the option and expose him to the expansion draft where he, more likely than not, gets taken. It may be a crappy way to go about it but my only interest is in this team's future and what's in it's best interest. In this scenario, I would have to think he'd rather have the choice.

With Mr. Tanev, the options are much more open. Teams like Dallas, Tampa, Philly and, maybe even Carolina, may have significant interest in him.

If we could walk away from them with an extra first rounder this year and next year, I'd look at these deals as wins.

A deal involving Tanev to Carolina for their 12th pick this year would be intriguing.

I would look to teams like Dallas an Tampa for an '18 first rounder for Edler.

At 5 I grab Glass and at 12 I take Hague, assuming both are available at those spots and in the 2018 pick, I'm looking for the team to flop, thus, improving on our lottery odds.

Archived