The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Offseason Youth Movement+Draft

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I gotta disagree with you on this one.  TO is not a good trading partner for us.  Plus, I hate them.  There is always that:)

I do get that people want one bigger piece rather than a few smaller pieces. Just saying that those pieces are pretty valuable ones. Kapanen will be a top 9 forward next year with potential 1st line upside. His speed especially would be valuable, kid is already faster than anyone in the Leafs organization and the Leafs have a ton of speedsters.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

I do get that people want one bigger piece rather than a few smaller pieces. Just saying that those pieces are pretty valuable ones. Kapanen will be a top 9 forward next year with potential 1st line upside. His speed especially would be valuable, kid is already faster than anyone in the Leafs organization and the Leafs have a ton of speedsters.

Just the thought of helping the Leafs makes me :sick:  Tanev is kind of their missing piece.  

20 hours ago, Pears said:

I think we have a good opportunity to really shore up the prospect pool this summer and these moves here will show some options we have. 

**Cap goes up $2 million**

Current cap space (+$2 million):$19,375,001

To Vancouver: Kari Lehtonen, Riley Tufte, 2017 1st (Ana)

To Dallas: Alex Edler, CBJ 2nd

To Vancouver: Kasperi Kapanen, Brendan Leipsic, 2017 1st (16th ova)

To Toronto: Chris Tanev

To Vancouver: Nail Yakupov

To St. Louis: Conditional 2018 4th

Van 1st: 5th - Cody Glass

Van 1st (from Tor): 16th - Timothy Liljegren

Van 1st (from Dal): 28th - Maxime Comtois

Van 2nd: 33rd - Nikita Popugaev

Van 3rd: 64th - MacKenzie Entwistle

Van 4th: 95th - Adam Ruzicka

Van 4th (from SJ): 113th - Michael DiPietro

Van 7th: 188th - Trey Fix-Wolansky

Cap space for re-signings: $26,525,001

Re-signings:

Bo Horvat: 3 years, $4 million per

Erik Gudbranson: 3 years, $4 million per

Nail Yakupov: 2 years, $2 million per

Brendan Gaunce: 3 years, $900K per

Cap space for free agency: $15,625,001

Signings:

Karl Alzner: 5 years, $5 million per

Remaining cap: $10,625,001

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - Yakupov

Leipsic - Gaunce - Kapanen

Alzner - Gudbranson

Juolevi - Hutton

Pedan - Stecher

Lehtonen

Markstrom

Young players/prospects brought in: 

Glass, Kapanen, Yakupov, Liljegren, Comtois, Popugaev, Leipsic, Fix-Wolansky, Entwistle, DiPietro, Ruzicka, Tufte. 

Thoughts? The values might be a smidge off but these moves would really help with the rebuild or maybe even finish it. 

Edler for Dallas 1st (Ana) is doable without the cap dump.  If we take the cap dump they would need to give us another pick or prospect. Edler would have to agree to waive his no move protection, outlined in another post.

TO can just sign Alzner instead of giving us anything for Tanev, they aren't capped out yet with all those ELCs on the books.

Nail can be had for almost free, haven't checked to see if ST Lou offered him a contract but he's a UFA if they don't offer him anything.

As for the draft, after the first 2 round Benning goes pretty much off the board, so it's gonna be interesting what prospects we end up with post draft.  I like where you are going with dealing tanev and edler, get prospects for the rebuild and increase our chances at top 5 next draft.

I have heard a few people mention Tampa Bay and Drouin.  Who is more valuable Drouin or Brayden Point?  

I would much rather package Tanev to Tampa for someone like Brayden Point.  He is a young offensively gifted centre.  He fits our youth movement.  Has elite play making potential.  I'd say he is what we need much more than Drouin.

22 minutes ago, stuman491 said:

I have heard a few people mention Tampa Bay and Drouin.  Who is more valuable Drouin or Brayden Point?  

I would much rather package Tanev to Tampa for someone like Brayden Point.  He is a young offensively gifted centre.  He fits our youth movement.  Has elite play making potential.  I'd say he is what we need much more than Drouin.

That's tough to say. One would think Drouin would be more valuable but if Point keeps his production up he'll be a stud. Considering all the players they'll have to re-sign I think Drouin might be the odd man out. 

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

That's tough to say. One would think Drouin would be more valuable but if Point keeps his production up he'll be a stud. Considering all the players they'll have to re-sign I think Drouin might be the odd man out. 

I do wonder if Steve Yzerman will keep Drouin simply because he was a 3rd OA pick.  Hard to give up on someone you drafted so high and does seem to have a lot of potential. 

You are right though.  If Point keeps up this kind of production his value as a centre will far outweigh Drouin in a years time.  I supposed that's why I want to try and get him now.  If it is at all realistic. 

37 minutes ago, Pears said:

I think Tyler Johnson is the odd man out in T Bay.  Point was a suitable replacement for him last year, they don't have a backup plan for Drouin, but Point could replace TJ and it's a cheaper option for tbay and they don't skip a beat.

19 hours ago, Pears said:

I thought about Kulikov but I figured Alzner would be a better fit and we'd probably have a better shot at signing him since he's from BC. 

I'm not undervaluing Tanev at all. Yea getting Nylander or Drouin for him would be ideal but let's be real, we'd most likely have to add a little to get one of them. Kapanen is still a very good prospect and getting another 1st would be huge.

I think Alzner would be a good fit here especially if we trade Edler because after him we really only have Hutton and Juolevi on the left side :| so there would be a need there. I kinda threw Tufte in there because Lehtonen and a 1st alone wouldn't have been enough for Edler.  

Kapanen is a real good prospect, in our group he would slide right in behind or with Boesser.

Archived