The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is your favorite player to watch (with caveats)?

5 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Was wondering about that because you asked about less prominent players, then went on to mention Marner and Panarin, who I feel get plenty of attention from the media as being exciting to watch. For guys with elite level skill who don't get mentioned a lot, David Pastrnak belongs in the conversation.

Just as an FYI (because this thread is meant to be about interesting stuff) if you or anyone else is wondering about why Jeff Skinner is such a good skater, he used to figure skate growing up. Even won a bronze medal at the Canadian Junior Figure Skating Championship in 2004.

The three I picked are the three I most enjoy watching. I am not going to pretend my answer is different for the purpose of being different. My top 3 would be McDavid, Crosby, Karlsson, but I figured that almost everyone would have 1-2 of those guys in their top 3 and thus the thread wouldn't be all that interesting. 

I tend to like the high risk/high reward type of players.

1. P.K. Subban plays almost out of control all of the time. Very exciting to watch.

2. Nikolaj Ehlers always plays full out in the offensive zone. Has incredible skills and does not shy away from bigger players or traffic.

3. Brandon Montour has incredible wheels and is always in motion. Really plays with obvious passion for the game.

1 Bo Horvat - He's a Canuck, love the way he plays the game, has skill in very aspect of the game continues to work hard.

2. Nick Ritchie - good young player, has some nice hits.

3. Alex Burrows - One of my favorite players, hard worker, trash talking legend.

13 minutes ago, J-23 said:

1 Bo Horvat - He's a Canuck, love the way he plays the game, has skill in very aspect of the game continues to work hard.

2. Nick Ritchie - good young player, has some nice hits.

3. Alex Burrows - One of my favorite players, hard worker, trash talking legend.

Good call on Ritchie, He was a blast to watch these playoffs.

I like watching these guys... probably spelling some names wrong 

Tried to leave Canucks out otherwise my list would be all Canucks... had to leave in the phenom though. 

Sbisa... too much man. 

Tanner Glass... another case of too much man. 

JG Pageau... small but feisty 

Geaudreau ... super fun to watch... fast and skilled 

Burrows... 

Burr, Bieksa, Karlsson.

The first two for obvious reasons.  Just love how much emotion they bring to their game...on the ice and off.

And I've been a fan of Karlsson's for awhile now.  This playoffs has sealed the deal...he is a warrior.

Add Bo & Stech to the list.

I'm going to go with some underrated players that are not really getting the attention by everyone that deserves it and also the fact that I have them in a fantasy league except for my final choice.

Seabrook - he was a force to be wreckoned with early on in his NHL career and a All Star too I believe. He continues to get the job done in his own end and he hits, blocks and creates offensive opportunities when given the chance to. He chips in with a crucial goal that the team desperately needed. He's your typical all around stay at home defenceman

Faksa - going in a bit of a limb but he is a young up and coming superstar. He had a bright season with the Stars where they're stacked offensively with the likes of Benn, Seguin. He's a good playmaker and solid goal scorer. He knows where to be on the ice at all times and delivers clutch goals. 

Stamkos - well Tampa would've been Cup favourites had their captain had not been hurt for most of the season. He's a definition of a superstar. Nice shot, shares the puck with his teammates and solid in all 3 zones. He knows how to get the job done when needed most. He's a team player which is what you want from your captain

Kris Letang - stud offensive defenseman, fast skater, good hitter, plays with heart

Ryan Kesler - two way player, fast skater, plays with heart and grit

Evander Kane - fast skater that can snipe and hits a lot (watched him when he was with Giants)

1) Malkin - If this was just a favourite players list he probably wouldn't rank for whatever reason I don't find him particularly likeable but man is he fun to watch. He's the most dominant player in the game when he's at his best. Too bad he can't maintain that level of play with consistency anymore. 

2) Draisaitl - He's basically Malkin lite. 

3) Subban - Guy is thoroughly entertaining albeit a little nerve wracking at times. 

Going off the board I would have to go:

Horvat - Canuck bias aside I really enjoy watching him play. Workhorse.

Hedman - Does it all. Fantastic Dman.

Montour - He was my favourite player to watch this postseason

I am purposely excluding the players that everyone finds exciting (Subban, Mackinnon, Malkin, Laine, Geaudreau etc)

1. Kris Versteeg

The guy always shows up in the playoffs. Been my favourite for years, now.

2. Dustin Byfuglien

Have Jets season tickets. Basically, when I'm spending $190/ticket to go to a game, I want to be entertained. Byfuglien always entertains. Whether it's with a game breaking goal or hit, you're always getting ready to stand on your feet.

Well since I have to go off the board:

1. Austin Watson - Love seeing his hits.

2. Niklas Kronwall - Same deal. 

3. Max Domi - tons of heart and skill. 

Also love Gallagher, Duclair, Ritchie among the already mentioned that weren't super obvious.

Thought on it more, and also came up with Sebastian Aho, who I believe was mentioned upthread. He skates so smoothly and has such soft hands. He flits around the ice like a tiny, graceful bird ahaha I love it. He's going to be a real treat for the 'Canes. 

I also enjoy Christian Dvorak on the Coyotes. He's a young one too, but was so cool and collected shouldering the load Hanzal left behind. I've seen him snipe some crazy goals and dance through defenders. He obviously thinks the game at a high level. 

Archived