The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Edler the more valuable asset?

cuporbust

Edler or Tanev?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I actually like Edler but I am getting kind of tired watching him play with passion for Sweden all the time while he is almost devoid of it when playing for the Canucks. If he could bring that same passion to the Canucks on a regular basis I would not like to see him moved at all.

Short tournament where he's partnered with a skilled, puck moving offensive D, playing appropriate minutes and situations to keep him fresh, on a deep, skilled team. 

Or 82 game grind with offensive black hole Tanev or sheltering rookie Stecher for partners, overtaxed in minutes and situations due to lack of depth, on a shallow, under skilled team.

Perhaps Edler isn't the problem...

17 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Elder is a puzzling player, he is more than capable of elevating his game when the skill level of his team mates is high. He's the tofu of defensemen, tastes like whatever he's cooked (or in this case playing) with.

Not really puzzling at all. He's a complimentary, solid, 2 way D with decent offense and physicality. When he's able to play under 22 minutes and not beat like a rented mule and instead play on a good team with a good partner and depth around him, he looks like.... wait for it....

...a complimentary, solid, 2 way D with decent offense and physicality.

30 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Hey guys. Just read this article about Edler's world championship performance , and to me , the question is who is actually the more valuable asset, Tanev or Edler? There has been tons of speculation on Tanev being the best piece to move , but i would argue that even with age considered, Elder just might be a better fit with the teams looking to add a top d man. 

Due to age, NTC, playing left side etc he has slightly less value I'd wager. But IMO, it's not as far off as many make it out to be. To the right team, he would be a very, VERY solid add. But they'd need to have a hole at left D, Edler would need to waive, they'd likely need to be in the middle-end of their contention window etc. It's a smaller, harder market, hence less value.

Edler is way too good looking to be traded.

But jk i move him for Drouin @ %50 cap retained duration of contract.

I don't see how either him or tanev could fetch us #3 overall.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Short tournament where he's partnered with a skilled, puck moving offensive D, playing appropriate minutes and situations to keep him fresh, on a deep, skilled team. 

Or 82 game grind with offensive black hole Tanev or sheltering rookie Stecher for partners, overtaxed in minutes and situations due to lack of depth, on a shallow, under skilled team.

Not really puzzling at all. He's a complimentary, solid, 2 way D with decent offense and physicality. When he's able to play under 22 minutes and not beat like a rented mule and instead play on a good team with a good partner and depth around him, he looks like.... wait for it....

Due to age, NTC, playing left side etc he has slightly less value I'd wager. But IMO, it's not as far off as many make it out to be. To the right team, he would be a very, VERY solid add. But they'd need to have a hole at left D, Edler would need to waive, they'd likely need to be in the middle-end of their contention window etc. It's a smaller, harder market, hence less value.

A team like dallas who is trying to win now could really use him. Granted they need rhd more , but he could really help there blueline immediately. 

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

All very true but still does not excuse him for the lack of passion in his play bordering on the verge of disinterested at times. I like Edler but I want/expect him to take a greater leadership role on the team and that includes bringing it on a regular basis.

Just now, cuporbust said:

A team like dallas who is trying to win now could really use him. Granted they need rhd more , but he could really help there blueline immediately. 

I don't know about 'more'. Frankly they could use both Tanev and Edler. (And I'd be happy to trade them both for the right package...)

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Fair enough. I'd agree that's a good description of him as a player.

I still do think it is shocking to watch him go from a 49 point, All-Star Game invitee to a 22 point, league worst +/- in two years.

9 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I don't think there is a place on Earth that Edler would be more uncomfortable in than Vegas.

is that a threat :P

I think Edler + _________ gets the 3rd overall, but its the extra piece that could make it not worthwhile. Maybe the 55th would be enough on its own? Yes the now infamous Torts pick. And Niemi coming back as well should seal it (but with a lower pick from us), it makes a lot of sense but as we've seen GMs often don't have to make sense.

If it was Edler, and our 4th rounder from SJS, and Niemi back our way I'd take that for this years 3rd.

Just now, Rick Blight said:

All very true but still does not excuse him for the lack of passion in his play bordering on the verge of disinterested at times. I like Edler but I want/expect him to take a greater leadership role on the team and that includes bringing it on a regular basis.

What you see as 'lack of passion' or 'disinterest', I see as exhaustion and frustration from playing too many minutes, in too many situations, above his pay grade, leading to mental errors on a sub par team. He's not a #1D but he's been valiantly (if futile) trying too fill that gaping void in our lineup for years now, all as the team around him deteriorated.

Nightly he goes out there and does his stoic-Swede-best to race around putting his fingers in the ever increasing cracks of the damn. 

I honestly hope we do trade Edler and can't wait to read all the "where was this Edler when he was a Canuck?!" type comments. Being beat and overtaxed like a rented mule is where folks.

46 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

The Edler that plays for Sweden would be the more movable asset. The Edler that plays for the Canucks not so much.

The Edler that played for Sweden also played with Dallas' Klingberg, which may help get him moved for the 3rd overall (Canucks will have to also eat salary).

7 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

is that a threat :P

I think Edler + _________ gets the 3rd overall, but its the extra piece that could make it not worthwhile. Maybe the 55th would be enough on its own? Yes the now infamous Torts pick. And Niemi coming back as well should seal it (but with a lower pick from us), it makes a lot of sense but as we've seen GMs often don't have to make sense.

If it was Edler, and our 4th rounder from SJS, and Niemi back our way I'd take that for this years 3rd.

Edler + CBJ 2nd for 3rd OA, Oleksiak, Lehtonen/Niemi? (I might insist on Lehtonen as he's the better goalie).

Edler has the possibility of getting his game back.  Some teams may want to take a chance at unlocking it. 

Tanev is as good as he is ever going to be.  Minimal offensive skills, but really good defensively.

Edler is like getting a lotto ticket where you can win between 1 to 10 dollars.  Tanev is like just giving up that ticket to receive 5 bucks.  

22 minutes ago, apollo said:

Edler is way too good looking to be traded.

But jk i move him for Drouin @ %50 cap retained duration of contract.

I don't see how either him or tanev could fetch us #3 overall.

So he could get us Drouin but not 3rd overall in this draft.... something is off in that math IMO.

6 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Edler has the possibility of getting his game back.  Some teams may want to take a chance at unlocking it. 

Tanev is as good as he is ever going to be.  Minimal offensive skills, but really good defensively.

Edler is like getting a lotto ticket where you can win between 1 to 10 dollars.  Tanev is like just giving up that ticket to receive 5 bucks.  

Tanev is like getting a free play every time you play......you are never going to lose anything but, then again, you are never going to make your millions either.

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Edler + CBJ 2nd for 3rd OA, Oleksiak, Lehtonen/Niemi? (I might insist on Lehtonen as he's the better goalie).

yup. @oldnews had a similar deal as well like this. Makes sense. Oleksiak and Raddysh (if the rumours are true) would be nice additions to the D depth.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

So he could get us Drouin but not 3rd overall in this draft.... something is off in that math IMO.

Make me GM and let me talk to Stevie Y... we'll figure it out :P

I'd %100 rather Drouin over whoever 3rd overall will be tbh. Tampa has no cap for Drouin so Edler at %50 retained is very valuable IMO. ...

Depends what kind of contract Drouin is seeking.

Archived