The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What to do with Anton Rodin?

3 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Where does he fit on our team next year? Should we even bother re-signing him? It seems unfair to bring him back from Sweden only to let him go after spending the season on the LTIR. We could have a decent trade chip in the future if he plays well, but our offensive group seems to be set for next year already. Would suck if he went to another NHL team and performed at a high level.

I'd re-sign him cheap. Worst case he gets waived to Utica (or picked up). Best case, he earns a spot in camp and we keep some of our solid youth depth in Utica and have another asset to sell.

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Rodin, UFA?, Boeser (sheltered ozone line)

Gaunce, Sutter, Dorsett (match up dzone line)

Dahlen, Goldobin, Virtanen in Utica to start. They'll get games with injuries. Then (hopefully after inflating his stats in a sheltered offensive role), you move him (and said UFA, Dorsett etc) at the TDL and recall the kids to fill the holes. 

18 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'd re-sign him cheap. Worst case he gets waived to Utica (or picked up). Best case, he earns a spot in camp and we keep some of our solid youth depth in Utica and have another asset to sell.

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Dahlen, Goldobin, Virtanen in Utica to start. They'll get games with injuries. Then (hopefully after inflating his stats in a sheltered offensive role), you move him (and said UFA, Dorsett etc) at the TDL and recall the kids to fill the holes. 

I didn't mention Utica because of the lack of knowledge as to who the coach is going to be next season. Hopefully they have a good roster next season. Does Crammorosa fit into your line-up?

42 minutes ago, mll said:

The main page is wrong - it should be marked as UFA.  Canucks hold his rights until 1 July.   In theory they could move him like LA moved Bishop.

Great, thanks for the correction. I hope Benning is a better CBA guy than me :P

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

I'd be okay with that lineup to start next season.

I have some doubt that Rodin (RW) will be a Canuck in the future. As it is, at RW they have Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, and later Lockwood. Not sure where Rodin would fit on the team. He's not a 4th liner. Maybe they could trade him? It's too bad, he's a skilled player and it would've been nice to see him play more.

Just for fun, maybe 2018/19?

Dahlen - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Glass - Goldobin

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Rodin

Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson

Virtanen

I'm going to assume the Canucks re-sign the Sedins for one year (cheap).

1 hour ago, TheHitman said:

I didn't mention Utica because of the lack of knowledge as to who the coach is going to be next season. Hopefully they have a good roster next season. Does Crammorosa fit into your line-up?

13th forward or perhaps Sutter's LW if Gaunce gets taken by LGK. 

6 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Where does he fit on our team next year? Should we even bother re-signing him? It seems unfair to bring him back from Sweden only to let him go after spending the season on the LTIR. We could have a decent trade chip in the future if he plays well, but our offensive group seems to be set for next year already. Would suck if he went to another NHL team and performed at a high level.

I understand the urge to think like this. Like a fan?

Rodin should sign with us, so we can have a trade chip.  Because that would be fair???

Unfortunately if we cannot make a case for him to make our squad > we would be better saving the dollars & the player goodwill.

But I don't think that is the case.  Dahlen for example was a good scorer at the tier two level in Sweden. Rodin a top scorer, winner of the golden helmet as best player in the top league.I think a healthy Rodin an effective 3rd line winger with speed. With luck, dynamic enough to press into the top 6.  Course it does not matter what I think so much...

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I understand the urge to think like this. Like a fan?

Rodin should sign with us, so we can have a trade chip.  Because that would be fair???

Unfortunately if we cannot make a case for him to make our squad > we would be better saving the dollars & the player goodwill.

But I don't think that is the case.  Dahlen for example was a good scorer at the tier two level in Sweden. Rodin a top scorer, winner of the golden helmet as best player in the top league.I think a healthy Rodin an effective 3rd line winger with speed. With luck, dynamic enough to press into the top 6.  Course it does not matter what I think so much...

You've gotta sign the guy to even have a chance at him making the lineup. Unless we obviously think we have better options both for Vancouver and for Utica you offer him a deal we can afford at one year. Even then, if he makes it and plays decently but we didn't see a long term future with younger players developing, you've created goodwill by giving him a shot and then you see if you can get something for him if the young players are pushing for spots.

Of course, we could sign him and he does nothing to make it a moot point... but we still sign him to see how that plays out considering the options we have for our NHL roster right now. There's very few guaranteed spots on a team that finished 2nd last in the NHL.

If he is healthy and wants to come back, you sign on the dotted line and give him a chance.  Absolutely nothing to lose.

Gold Helmet winner of the SHL - huge potential, highly skilled.  I'd be pissed if they just let him walk (unless his injury is deemed to be too serious).

Give him the same 1 year deal as we did last year. He pushed himself too hard in pre season trying to impress the team and unfortunately his knee procedure wasn't up to it. He has had the procedure again, this time in Vancouver I believe. He likely knows to not push it as hard but also will have had a bit longer of a recovery time.

With his skillset he is an easy top 9 forward on our team. Healthy competition is never a bad thing, I don's see the Canucks rolling out a complete youth line up to start the year. Maybe if we suffer some injuries. 

At the very least lets see what Rodin can do in pre season and see how his chemistry is with some guys to start the year. He showed a good amount of skill is his short stint last year.

I think he should get signed and be put in offensive situations, increase his value and he could get a decent return in a trade for next year's draft which is supposed to be deep. If he gets on pace for 40 points could net a net second or early third rounder on team looking for some offense. 

He is a group VI UFA instead of an RFA due to the lack of NHL GP since the expiration of his ELC.

I really hope we resign him and give him a shot... so long as that knee of his is healed. What a mess. With all the... interestingly diagnosed injuries the last couple years, and the apparent mismanagement of injuries/rehab, it sure seems like the canucks moving on from burstein and his medical team may have been a mistake.

Archived