The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What to do with Anton Rodin?

Let him walk. Tried but it just hasnt, and wont, work out with Vancouver. Maybe he gets a shot with another club but my guess is no one would take the chance and hes back in Europe for the remainder of his career. 

Or the Nucks sign him and trade him to TB with Tanev for Drouin + Hedman + 1st in 2018 ;P

• 1 month later...

I think Rodin is going to surprise a lot of people. He, like Burmistrov and a couple others, are getting one last chance in the NHL and I think Rodin is skilled enough that he'll find a place on our roster, even if it's on the PP. We saw some flashes of brilliance last season at times. If he can produce consistently then we'll have another weapon. The problem this season will be that there's far more competition for winger spots, but I think Rodin will come out very strong in the pre-season and score a few goals during the regular season as well. There's definitely a spot available for a couple of Rodin, Burmistrov, Goldobin, Boucher, Boeser and even Dahlen. I'd rather send Dahlen to the SHL with Pettersson, Boeser ideally to Utica for half of the season and let the one-way guys battle it out. Really wouldn't want to lose Boucher to waivers, and one of those 3 (Boucher, Rodin, Burmistrov) are pretty much guaranteed in the press box at any one time during the season.

It'll all depend who comes out and impresses at training camp, pre-season and the first 10 games of the regular season of course.

On 7/2/2017 at 7:15 PM, cripplereh said:

well he was resigned and now let the pieces fall as they may cause we will have fights for spots and since WD is gone should be a fair fight for all younger players!

He resigned? Why would he retire when we just re-signed him???

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎02 at 6:15 PM, cripplereh said:

well he was resigned and now let the pieces fall as they may cause we will have fights for spots and since WD is gone should be a fair fight for all younger players!

re-signed

On 5/25/2017 at 1:11 PM, TheHitman said:

Where does he fit on our team next year? Should we even bother re-signing him? It seems unfair to bring him back from Sweden only to let him go after spending the season on the LTIR. We could have a decent trade chip in the future if he plays well, but our offensive group seems to be set for next year already. Would suck if he went to another NHL team and performed at a high level.

He showed that he has NHL speed, shot and savvy while playing on one good leg. If he is fully recovered, this could be quite an unexpected boost for Vancouver as he looked like a solid top six talent if he was able to be using both legs.    You don't become MVP of SEL by accident.   That is a legit league.   Harder to score than NHL and was point per game there.

30 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You don't become MVP of SEL by accident.   That is a legit league.   Harder to score than NHL and was point per game there.

I actually believe you know what you're talking about, and I don't.

But you're gonna have to explain how SEL is harder to score in...like Bo would get less points there than NHL?!

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He showed that he has NHL speed, shot and savvy while playing on one good leg. If he is fully recovered, this could be quite an unexpected boost for Vancouver as he looked like a solid top six talent if he was able to be using both legs.    You don't become MVP of SEL by accident.   That is a legit league.   Harder to score than NHL and was point per game there.

Harder to score than the nhl is simply not true. Zuccarello led the Shl in points in 2009-2010 with 64 points in 55 games. He went on to have 23 points in 42 games next year for the Rangers. 

Joakim lindstrom lead the Shl with 60 points in 54 in 2010-2011. Next year he had 5 points in 16 games for the avalanche before returning to Sweden. He had 10 points in 53 games for the Leafs and Blues in 2014-2015 before going to Russia. Then in 2016-2017 he lead the Swedish league in points again with 54 in 51 games.

Definitely easier to score in the Shl. With that being said

I'm really hopeful for Rodin as well. I think with 2 good legs he can be a top 6 contributor to the club. Showed well in limited action before his knee gave out

7 hours ago, HockeydownUnder said:

Harder to score than the nhl is simply not true. Zuccarello led the Shl in points in 2009-2010 with 64 points in 55 games. He went on to have 23 points in 42 games next year for the Rangers. 

Joakim lindstrom lead the Shl with 60 points in 54 in 2010-2011. Next year he had 5 points in 16 games for the avalanche before returning to Sweden. He had 10 points in 53 games for the Leafs and Blues in 2014-2015 before going to Russia. Then in 2016-2017 he lead the Swedish league in points again with 54 in 51 games.

Definitely easier to score in the Shl. With that being said

I'm really hopeful for Rodin as well. I think with 2 good legs he can be a top 6 contributor to the club. Showed well in limited action before his knee gave out

Sorry, didn't make myself clear.   Scoring overall is lower.  For any given individual, results may vary.    My points was being a point per game player in SEL is more impressive than is sounds - as may think SEL is at or above AHL, if you had an AHL player above PPG and they had NHL skating, you would be pretty high on that prospect.   

Your two examples are good ones in that both lacked NHL skating.

10 hours ago, nzan said:

I actually believe you know what you're talking about, and I don't.

But you're gonna have to explain how SEL is harder to score in...like Bo would get less points there than NHL?!

See my other response, the scoring is generally lower over the years.   I didn't mean to imply Connor McDavid wouldn't get 100 plus points in SEL (he would blow that league apart), what I meant was it is a low scoring league and it is often thought to be about on par with AHL for talent though skating can be more suspect at times but overall skill of players in terms of puck can be higher.   Point was, if you get a lot of points in SEL AND you can skate, you are a decent prospect for success in NHL.   Did not mean to imply, and apparently some took it that way, that PPG in SEL would translate to PPG in NHL as that isn't true of AHL either.

Archived