The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What to do with Anton Rodin?

Where does he fit on our team next year? Should we even bother re-signing him? It seems unfair to bring him back from Sweden only to let him go after spending the season on the LTIR. We could have a decent trade chip in the future if he plays well, but our offensive group seems to be set for next year already. Would suck if he went to another NHL team and performed at a high level.

1 minute ago, TheHitman said:

Where does he fit on our team next year? Should we even bother re-signing him? It seems unfair to bring him back from Sweden only to let him go after spending the season on the LTIR. We could have a decent trade chip in the future if he plays well, but our offensive group seems to be set for next year already. Would suck if he went to another NHL team and performed at a high level.

Seems like a really nice guy, and might even be a top nine forward for an NHL team.  I just think it's time to play the youth in spots that guys like Rodin would take.  it's not about now; it's about the future. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seems like a really nice guy, and might even be a top nine forward for an NHL team.  I just think it's time to play the youth in spots that guys like Rodin would take.  it's not about now; it's about the future. 

With that being said, do you think he gets another shot on a different NHL team? 

Just now, Jaku said:

With that being said, do you think he gets another shot on a different NHL team? 

I really hope he does, but seriously doubt it.  Likely, once he is healed up, it's back to the European leagues.  I think the Canucks treating him so well though, is good advertising for any future guys from across the pond coming here.  Same goes for Larssen.  I know he didn't work out, but the word overseas has gotta be good for us, don't you think?

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really hope he does, but seriously doubt it.  Likely, once he is healed up, it's back to the European leagues.  I think the Canucks treating him so well though, is good advertising for any future guys from across the pond coming here.  Same goes for Larssen.  I know he didn't work out, but the word overseas has gotta be good for us, don't you think?

Well unless you speak to Tryamkin. He seems to think things didn't go as they should have, minute wise and also being asked to go to the AHL

49 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Qualify him and offer his rights to Vegas if they pick Biega or Dorsett. 

I can't believe anyone still wants Dorsett and his 2.65 million cap hit on the team moving fwd.

IMO...Vegas would be doing the team a monumental favor taking on this player/contract

11 minutes ago, nickels said:

I can't believe anyone still wants Dorsett and his 2.65 million cap hit on the team moving fwd.

IMO...Vegas would be doing the team a monumental favor taking on this player/contract

not really, he'd bring some hard working attitude, grit and accountability, something that McPhee likes, and they could have another potential sniper too. Or a good D/occasional F in Biega. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Absolutely, it's great for the Canucks. But I think that Anton is headed back overseas.

5 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Absolutely, it's great for the Canucks. But I think that Anton is headed back overseas.

he did say he wanted one more shot at the NHL in a recent interview tho... thats why I'm thinking he'd be open to Vegas, its a pretty low pressure place to try to make an impact. He may be more valuable to us as a Vegas option than anything else given the logjam on the right side now. 

I'd sign him to a cheap 2 way deal, with an out clause for him if he doesn't make the roster.   He is only 26, and is a bit of a mystery.  He could be a solid 3rd line winger who scores 15-20 goals, or could be back in Europe by November.  Either way, I would give him a chance.

38 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

nope he's an RFA with arbitration rights (https://www.capfriendly.com/players/anton-rodin)

No. Group VI UFA - see his page under contract note: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/anton-rodin

He is 26.  Less than 80 NHL games and had three seasons with a NHL contract - two in the AHL and this season.

CBA wording from art 10.1

(c) Group 6 Free Agents.

1. (i)  Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i) in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL Games 

22 minutes ago, mll said:

No. Group VI UFA - see his page under contract note: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/anton-rodin

He is 26.  Less than 80 NHL games and had three seasons with a NHL contract - two in the AHL and this season.

CBA wording from art 10.1

(c) Group 6 Free Agents.

1. (i)  Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i) in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL Games 

Oh, thanks. On the main Canucks page he's still shown as an RFA.... does this mean he's an UFA right now, or does it mean he becomes one on July 1st? Just wondering if we have any kind of rights to move him before then. 

11 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Oh, thanks. On the main Canucks page he's still shown as an RFA.... does this mean he's an UFA right now, or does it mean he becomes one on July 1st? Just wondering if we have any kind of rights to move him before then. 

The main page is wrong - it should be marked as UFA.  Canucks hold his rights until 1 July.   In theory they could move him like LA moved Bishop.

Archived