The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Phillip Holm | #29 | D

Rollieo Del Fuego

"Philip is a mobile, two-way defenceman who adds depth to our blueline," Canucks general manager Jim Benning said a statement. "He made strides in his development last season with Vaxjo and played a strong series with Sweden at the World Championships. We're pleased to welcome him to the Canucks organization." 

Holm, 25, spent the 2016-17 with the Vaxjo Lakers of the Swedish Hockey League where he posted 21 points (4-17-21) and 30 penalty minutes in 52 games. He was a plus-24 on the season and earned the honours for the 2016-17 best plus/minus in the SHL.

Earlier this morning, it was reported that the Chicago Blackhawks and the Canucks were the finalists to sign Holm, and obviously the Canucks won the sweepstakes. The Toronto Maple Leafs had been rumoured to have interest earlier this month, to the point where reports had come out that the Holm was signing with the Leafs. But they signed Andrea Borgman and Calle Rosen, thus leaving Holm unsigned.

The Canucks were rumoured to have been interested in Borgman before he ultimately signed with Toronto.

According to Canucks Army we have 3 contracts left ( plus Juolevi's will slide if he doesn't make the team...so 4)...Raddysh please....

The Canucks now have 34 standard player contracts, 13 pending Restricted Free Agents, and Juolevi, who is exempt from the 50 contract limit until he plays nine NHL games.

more from CA:

Holm had a breakout year for the Vaxjo Lakers in the SHL this past season, leading the defence in assists (17), points (21), and plus/minus (24). The aforementioned Calle Rosen led the Lakers defence in goals with six. That surge in offence brought interest from multiple NHL teams.

First interview:

Holm: Vancouver felt good right from the start

Swedish defenceman Philip Holm, signed Friday by the Canucks, says his goal is to make the Canucks and not end up in Utica. Holm says he likes what the Canucks are trying to build.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/holm-vancouver-felt-good-right-from-the-start-1.762640

11 minutes ago, guntrix said:

At 25, I wouldn't consider him a prospect. 

Similar situation to that of Larsen imo. Hope this one works out.

Biggest difference being that Larsen had already had his shot at the NHL before coming here and couldn't cut it.

The deficiencies in his game likely weren't ever going to allow him to be a regular NHLer. 

Holm is more of a blank slate in terms of the NHL. How he adapts is anyones guess at this point.

15 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Interesting signing, wonder if this ups the chances of moving anyone out. 

I hope so. We very well might lose Sbisa in the ED and it would have been hard to move another D (Edler/Tanev) in what will surely be a lucrative, post-ED trade market to further the rebuild, without some depth there. 

Having Holm, Pedan, McEneny, Juolevi (maybe a UFA) etc fighting for those bottom 3rd and 4th pair roles allows some depth for a potential move there IMO. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Holm is more of a blank slate in terms of the NHL. How he adapts is anyones guess at this point.

I think Holm's chances of landing a regular bottom 4 role with us is significantly higher than Larsen's chances were at being our answer to our PMD/PPQB problem.  Holm has already proven he can compete against world-class competition and not look out of place - but as you said, there will be an 'adaption' phase he has to experience. 

47 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I hope so. We very well might lose Sbisa in the ED and it would have been hard to move another D (Edler/Tanev) in what will surely be a lucrative, post-ED trade market to further the rebuild, without some depth there. 

Having Holm, Pedan, McEneny, Juolevi (maybe a UFA) etc fighting for those bottom 3rd and 4th pair roles allows some depth for a potential move there IMO. 

There is only 3 d-pairings and 4 f-lines.  Usually the team keeps 7 d-men on the roster.

57 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I think Holm's chances of landing a regular bottom 4 role with us is significantly higher than Larsen's chances were at being our answer to our PMD/PPQB problem.  Holm has already proven he can compete against world-class competition and not look out of place - but as you said, there will be an 'adaption' phase he has to experience. 

Yea I hate how JB kind of oversold Larsen's abilities, as if he was going to be the solution to our terrible powerplay.

It didn't help that Willie stubbornly refused to not play him in a top 4 role too.

27 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

There is only 3 d-pairings and 4 f-lines.  Usually the team keeps 7 d-men on the roster.

Given how much we go through D I'm assuming, as we've done for a while now, we'll carry 8 D.

7 and 8 D = 4th pair. 

Archived