The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Phillip Holm | #29 | D

Rollieo Del Fuego

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This has nothing to do with Benning.  You are claiming an NHL team is purposefully burying their talent.   That is called a conspiracy.   I call it fantasy.   That is what is being discussed.   You call that discussion a personal attack.    Interesting how you seem to never like being challenged on your conspiracy theories.   That is what a discussion board is about - if you bring a conspiracy, either invented yourself or by quoting another conspiracy theorist, you will get questioned.   That is not a personal attack.     :)

Has nothing to do with benning........lol.

who signed Holm.......

who then Proceed to sign wiercoat and mdz......

benning did in FACT bury holm by signing MDz and wiercoat wierd you think that’s a consiracy or a fabrication. Is MDZ a Canuck is Holm.

huh what a conspiracy.

Holm signed then got buried that’s what the article is about if odd you can’t see that it has nothing to do with a consiracy.

do you know the why Holm chose Vancouver. This article touches on what he MAY have been offered in order to get him to sign and what he’s been given since.

no I called the tinfoil hat conspiracy, non sense and  the fact I like the national inquired a personal and from most of the stuff I’ve read of yours it’s your go to move when you disagree with someone.

Disagree that’s fine say he didn’t deserve the ice time say you don’t like the article that’s how grown up discuss things you should try it.

funny you just jump striaght to attacking the reporter and anyone who might find the piece interesting. 

Im done you can have the last word. I’ll allow it.lol.

yourwelcome

41 minutes ago, combover said:

Has nothing to do with benning........lol.

who signed Holm.......

who then Proceed to sign wiercoat and mdz......

benning did in FACT bury holm by signing MDz and wiercoat wierd you think that’s a consiracy or a fabrication. Is MDZ a Canuck is Holm.

huh what a conspiracy.

Holm signed then got buried that’s what the article is about if odd you can’t see that it has nothing to do with a consiracy.

do you know the why Holm chose Vancouver. This article touches on what he MAY have been offered in order to get him to sign and what he’s been given since.

no I called the tinfoil hat conspiracy, non sense and  the fact I like the national inquired a personal and from most of the stuff I’ve read of yours it’s your go to move when you disagree with someone.

Disagree that’s fine say he didn’t deserve the ice time say you don’t like the article that’s how grown up discuss things you should try it.

funny you just jump striaght to attacking the reporter and anyone who might find the piece interesting. 

Im done you can have the last word. I’ll allow it.lol.

yourwelcome

You "allow" it.   Well, nice of you.  You are claiming the manager of your team, Jim Benning, is conspiring to keep better players buried and out of the NHL.   That is your theory.   By extension, it is called a "conspiracy theory" as you believe it is purposeful.    

I do disagree with you that ANY GM in the NHL has a plan to bury their own talent and hopes to sign players they can alienate and ensure never come to play for them and, in fact, makes the future team even weaker through such actions.  These are the claims the article you posted claims - and by extension what you seem to be saying.   My opinion is you need tinfoil on your head to come close to believing such a thing.   THAT is my opinion.  YOUR opinion is your GM is making your team worse on purpose.   

All of your follow up posts simply confirmed that you believe that to be true and as you believe it is on purpose, it is by definition a conspiracy.   

Cheers!   :)

1 hour ago, gregthehockeynut said:

The Hockey News

Stats | Utica Comets Official Website

Holm has gone from +24 in SEL to -7 in the AHL. The smaller rink and bigger players is a work in progress for him.

A full year there  might be a good idea for both Holm and the Canucks.

You mean he may be in a league that is helping him grow towards the potential to become an NHL player?   Sounds like management has a plan and hopefully it works.   Someone who is -7 on an even AHL team would get defensively destroyed in NHL at this point of their career.   

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This has nothing to do with Benning.  You are claiming an NHL team is purposefully burying their talent.   That is called a conspiracy.   I call it fantasy.   That is what is being discussed.   You call that discussion a personal attack.    Interesting how you seem to never like being challenged on your conspiracy theories.   That is what a discussion board is about - if you bring a conspiracy, either invented yourself or by quoting another conspiracy theorist, you will get questioned.   That is not a personal attack.     :)

Conspiracy theories work well for people who have little else to contribute. The insinuation being that the poster is actually a smarter hockey person than management. The process simplifies evaluation to the ultimate no brainer. It has been going on here at CDC for decades. 

I was listening to Botchford on 1040 today talking about Holm. He & Halford/Brough were talking about how he should be given a shot, how the sell to Holm was he would be apart of the team going into the future and whatnot. I've also hear Botch bring these points up in the past.

I agree with them that he should be given a look this year (after they trade Gudbranson), but I don't think he's been mismanaged so far like they seem to be hinting at. They brought up points like; why did GMJB sign MDZ/Wercioch & bring in Pouliot if they had assured Holm a spot on the team.

I can't help but think back to preseason when Holm looked absolutely lost defensively, he seemed unable to keep up to the speed of the NHL game defensively. His size, mobility & puck skills are evident/NHL quality but he clearly needed time to adjust. I think Pouliot was a better option & has been than Holm would have been had he started the year here. (same with MDZ although I like Pouliot more). I think Holm needed time to adjust to the NA game, hopefully he's been able to do that in Utica and I suspect that he will be given a chance down the stretch, after the TDL when we have sorted the D out & are riding out the last bit of another bottom 5 finish. 

They just kept hinting at this situation almost being a mistake or something like that. And it kinda irked me b/c he did not look like an NHL caliber player during Exhibition IMO. (atleast on the defensive end)

On 1/13/2018 at 8:15 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

You mean he may be in a league that is helping him grow towards the potential to become an NHL player?   Sounds like management has a plan and hopefully it works.   Someone who is -7 on an even AHL team would get defensively destroyed in NHL at this point of their career.   

+/- is a pretty poor metric, though. His definitely raises some eyebrows, and I'm certain adjusting to the smaller ice is part of it, but Utica's roster has been just shy of a garbage dump since we've had all the injuries with the big club. Team performance can impact +/- pretty heavily.

25 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

+/- is a pretty poor metric, though. His definitely raises some eyebrows, and I'm certain adjusting to the smaller ice is part of it, but Utica's roster has been just shy of a garbage dump since we've had all the injuries with the big club. Team performance can impact +/- pretty heavily.

Fair points but I contend his offensive game is ahead of the development on his defensive game.

54 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I was listening to Botchford on 1040 today talking about Holm. He & Halford/Brough were talking about how he should be given a shot, how the sell to Holm was he would be apart of the team going into the future and whatnot. I've also hear Botch bring these points up in the past.

I agree with them that he should be given a look this year (after they trade Gudbranson), but I don't think he's been mismanaged so far like they seem to be hinting at. They brought up points like; why did GMJB sign MDZ/Wercioch & bring in Pouliot if they had assured Holm a spot on the team.

I can't help but think back to preseason when Holm looked absolutely lost defensively, he seemed unable to keep up to the speed of the NHL game defensively. His size, mobility & puck skills are evident/NHL quality but he clearly needed time to adjust. I think Pouliot was a better option & has been than Holm would have been had he started the year here. (same with MDZ although I like Pouliot more). I think Holm needed time to adjust to the NA game, hopefully he's been able to do that in Utica and I suspect that he will be given a chance down the stretch, after the TDL when we have sorted the D out & are riding out the last bit of another bottom 5 finish. 

They just kept hinting at this situation almost being a mistake or something like that. And it kinda irked me b/c he did not look like an NHL caliber player during Exhibition IMO. (atleast on the defensive end)

I listened to most of that myself and I find myself agreeing with Botch :blink: in as much as they need to give Holm a shot.  I doubt he had been assured a spot on the team.  You just can't promise that.  They can promise a fair try out though.

Holm needed to adjust to the smaller ice surface particularly in his own end as you have said.

Would Holm walk after a year in the minors if he didn't play?  I really don't know what he's thinking.  But I'd rather not take that chance.   

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Fair points but I contend his offensive game is ahead of the development on his defensive game.

I would agree with you on that.

Knowing your angles for zonal defending is probably a bigger adjustment than offensive positioning when moving to a different ice size.

1 hour ago, Guile said:

Interesting the stuff you can learn when you actually talk to the player.

You find out Holm isn’t upset with how he’s being handled. He understands and respects the process. And that he’s in it for the long haul.

Doesnt sound like he’s a “one and done” player if he isn’t handed an NHL spot this year.

So WTF was Botchford talking about?

There’s a word for what Dhaliwal has done here. It sounds something like “reporting” or “journalism.” I dunno, it’s right there on the tip of my tongue. ;) 

I think Botchford should take notes. He definitely needs a refresher.

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interesting the stuff you can learn when you actually talk to the player.

You find out Holm isn’t upset with how he’s being handled. He understands and respects the process. And that he’s in it for the long haul.

Doesnt sound like he’s a “one and done” player if he isn’t handed an NHL spot this year.

So WTF was Botchford talking about?

There’s a word for what Dhaliwal has done here. It sounds something like “reporting” or “journalism.” I dunno, it’s right there on the tip of my tongue. ;) 

I think Botchford should take notes. He definitely needs a refresher.

I've been taking to reading the Provies lately for pure comic entertainment. I think he started the whole "why isn't Edler passing to Boeser" thing, he has random twitter feuds with Andrew Walker from 650, and just generally speculates without ever saying anything of significance. He does indeed come off as a whiny 15 year-old.

On the more relevant side of things, Holm displayed a great attitude there... I would love to see him up here this season, but I prioritize Utica more than the last 15-20 games of the Nucks season. It would be excellent to see MDZ/Edler gone next year, just to open up a spot for Holm. I'm an Edler supporter, so trading him is more about a return than anything else. For Holm, a full season in Utica plus a summer working on his deficits would set him up really nicely for the 3LD spot next fall.  

Archived