The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Phillip Holm | #29 | D

Rollieo Del Fuego

3 hours ago, Uticafan said:

Don't trust the points because Holm really didn't play well. He really doesn't impress me and he'll past the whole year in the AHL if it's not exchanged before!! Too much ice time for me!! 

I dunno man

4 games.  3 point.  -1 no real PIMS and 7 shots on net I  his first 4 games ever played in North America

Seems like there's a lot of promise there looking at those stat lines

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I dunno man

4 games.  3 point.  -1 no real PIMS and 7 shots on net I  his first 4 games ever played in North America

Seems like there's a lot of promise there looking at those stat lines

2 Pts / 22 PP for me at 26 years isn’t enough. I don’t like how he plays in D zone and lack of toughness but I agree that he has time to improve!!!

Holm seems to be settling in.  He wasn't known for putting up big points but has 5 pts in 5 games.  Hopefully this shows he is adjusting to NA ice and will be ready for a call up.  I think he is probably a little to good for the AHL, but we'll see if he is good enough for the NHL.

42 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Holm seems to be settling in.  He wasn't known for putting up big points but has 5 pts in 5 games.  Hopefully this shows he is adjusting to NA ice and will be ready for a call up.  I think he is probably a little to good for the AHL, but we'll see if he is good enough for the NHL.

The SweHL is arguably a better league than the AHL. 

Interesting side note: He played on Vaxjo HC and Emil Pattersson was on the team.  This year, Elias plays for Vaxjo HC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i've only seen a couple of games this year but Holm stood out in both.  He has a lot of offensive ability.  I think he pretty much wiped out McEneny's and Subban's chances to get some NHL games in.  Both Holm and WIercioch are ahead of those two. His defense against NHL competition I wonder about, but he is a smart player.  I hope he gets some ice time up in Van eventually, would be interesting to see him play.    

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Holm picking up where he left off pre-injury with a goal and assist tonight plus 5SOG; now has 14 points in 21 games.  Hopefully the numbers aren't the only thing that's looking good.

Holm is a NHL defenseman playing in the AHL.  Does everything well. Above average skater. Calm with the puck.  Good first pass and solid with his gap control.  Could easily be on a 5/6 pairing right now.

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Holm is a NHL defenseman playing in the AHL.  Does everything well. Above average skater. Calm with the puck.  Good first pass and solid with his gap control.  Could easily be on a 5/6 pairing right now.

Be interesting to see him in a call up. He looked terrible in the pre season but from all accounts that was more him getting used to the small ice and he's improved. If he can show he can play then that gives us more options for trading guys on the roster

12 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Be interesting to see him in a call up. He looked terrible in the pre season but from all accounts that was more him getting used to the small ice and he's improved. If he can show he can play then that gives us more options for trading guys on the roster

Holm is a pretty interesting player. During the preseason, you’d absolutely see plays from him where your eye test was screaming liability. But then you’d look over the game stats, and the analytics would be saying he was one of the best players on the ice.

To me, this was just about him adjusting to the pace and physicality of the NHL/AHL and playing on the smaller ice.

Trent Cull recently said this:

I think that’s a fair summary. Holm needed to learn to anticipate how much quicker the pressure comes and that holding on to the puck too long will mean taking a hit, pretty much every time in NA hockey.

He needed to learn to move the puck a little faster in his zone and not admire his own passes after he made them.

Sounds like he’s making the adjustment.

And he continues to produce great numbers, both conventional and underlying. Only now, he’s also starting to play like an NHL defenseman when it comes to anticipating the hit (because it's definitely coming if you don’t pay attention) and upping his pace when it comes to gathering the puck and making that first pass.

He’s an intriguing player who’s flying a little under the radar right now (from the Vancouver fan perspective—certainly Utica fans are well aware of his value). He could end up being a very useful piece for the big club moving forward.

Nice pickup by JB.

• 3 weeks later...

A clip from From the Province 

I don’t know for certain Philip Holm can make a difference for the Canucks.

I do know for certain when Vancouver signed him in May, it was hoped by the organization he could blossom into a long-term solution on their defence.

In fact, when Benning was asked specifically about the current state of the Canucks rebuild in September, Holm was one of the first players he mentioned, and he seemed excited about the signing.

In the spring, Holm was on Team Sweden’s gold-medal winning world championship team and when it was done, he had several NHL suitors.

Some good teams wanted him, including Toronto. But he chose the Canucks. He bought into the idea there would be opportunity and, to be honest, he bought into Benning’s vision outlined in a Paris meeting.

Holm was told he had a future in Van.

But that vision has since clouded, if it hasn’t disappeared all together.

Holm hasn’t got any chance at all in the NHL and if it continues he’ll be one and done with the organization.

Thing is, Holm has lived up to his side of the bargain. He’s been really good, albeit in Utica.

With the Comets he has 18 points in 28 games — four in his last four — and he’s comfortably made the transition to North American ice.

The Canucks, of course, remain desperate for any kind of offence from their blueline. Despite the emergence of Boeser, the Canucks are 27th in the NHL in offence. One of the key reasons is the blueline can’t generate anything at all.

Vancouver has eight goals from their D combined, for the season.

Tonight was game 43 and it began with one Canucks defenceman who had more than one goal.

That was MDZ and he just got his second of the season Sunday.

It’s all pretty bleak.

The Canucks blueline lineup Tuesday has four goals total. Holm, in the AHL, has six on his own.

You would think, in this environment, the Canucks would be trying to wedge Holm in to at least give him a look in the NHL.

Do they have something in him?

Many believe they do and there are scouts who believe he could be more effective than some of the current Canucks defencemen, including MDZ.

The underlying data indicates there’s a strong-ish probability this may be true.

There are a couple layers to explain why Holm is not happening.

One traces back to the offseason when MDZ was signed. The most consistent criticism of the Canucks summer plan was that they brought in too many veterans.

A couple of questions come to mind.

Why did they think they needed MDZ?

Would they have made the move if they knew they were getting Pouliot?

Probably not.

The argument has been made that it would be bad optics to scratch MDZ after he signed as a free agent.

But what about the Holm situation?

How is this going to look to other European free agents? Especially after the Rodin mess?

Think about it this way, the Canucks D has suffered significant injuries to Stecher, Edler, Gudbranson, and Tanev (3 times now) and neither Holm or Wiercioch have played a single game.

The other issue is a pending Guddy trade. Increasingly, people around the NHL believe this one is inevitable.

But no one right now thinks it is going to happen quickly.

Moving Guddy will clear up some of the log jam.

But if the Canucks are waiting on a bidding war, we could be here for six weeks.

And if it doesn’t happen until the deadline, is it too late for Holm?

If it is, it will come off as a waste for both him and this team

from the province.

sounds like tryamkin situation all over again except they can leave him in the minors.

^I get the frustration re: Holm and not getting to see him in the NHL lineup. But I think we need to remember this is a season where, due to D depth, we’ve actually needed to healthy scratch guys like Hutton and Stecher who are generally considered to be established top-6 grade NHL defensemen. There just haven’t been many good opportunities to work Holm into the lineup. So under those circumstances, it’s better to play him in Utica versus parking him in the press box. 

I do believe Holm will see some NHL games before the season is out. Either injuries or deadline moves will likely open up a spot for him to play. Hopefully he gets enough of a look, and plays well enough during his opportunity, to became a part of the discussion for a regular spot next year.

Also probably worth noting that, this being the new coaching staff’s first season, and the team having played well before the current struggles, it probably wasn’t high on Green’s list of priorities to give any relatively unproven player acquisitions “try outs” in his lineup. At least not until events force his hand, and this hasn’t happened yet.

That all said, I’m as anxious as anyone to see Holm called up and given a shot. I think he could be a good NHL player, and possibly even an upgrade on some of the guys in the current D order.

Archived