The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Phillip Holm | #29 | D

Rollieo Del Fuego

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interesting the stuff you can learn when you actually talk to the player.

You find out Holm isn’t upset with how he’s being handled. He understands and respects the process. And that he’s in it for the long haul.

Doesnt sound like he’s a “one and done” player if he isn’t handed an NHL spot this year.

So WTF was Botchford talking about?

There’s a word for what Dhaliwal has done here. It sounds something like “reporting” or “journalism.” I dunno, it’s right there on the tip of my tongue. ;) 

I think Botchford should take notes. He definitely needs a refresher.

I wonder what the rest of the clowns in Vancouver's media think of Dhaliwal.  Someone that reports real news without click bait BS and makes the rest of them look like complete tools.

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

I wonder what the rest of the clowns in Vancouver's media think of Dhaliwal.  Someone that reports real news without click bait BS and makes the rest of them look like complete tools.

I wonder myself. And it’s not like his credentials get him “ins” that the other guys don’t have. Rick just does the legwork that they’re apparently not willling to do for themselves. He makes the calls, learns the names, and keeps in touch with coaches, agents, players, and the like. To me, this seems like basic stuff and basically the first thing I’d start doing if I was working in that business. It really boggles my mind that so many of the mainstream print media guys don’t have the same kind of sources at their fingertips. Seems so friggen lazy to me.

I get that it’s a tough gig with deadlines and filling word counts and stuff. But for me, actually connecting with these sources would be the fun part of the job (in addition to the obvious free games and perks). I’d be talking to all these sources quite regularly if they took my calls. 

Maybe that’s it? Maybe Dhaliwal is just well liked and when a coach or player sees his name on call display, they answer. And when they see Botchford, they send that call straight to voicemail. :lol:

25 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Maybe that’s it? Maybe Dhaliwal is just well liked and when a coach or player sees his name on call display, they answer. And when they see Botchford, they send that call straight to voicemail. :lol:

....I wouldn’t blame them :lol:

but, really, it is refreshing to have Rick Dhaliwal actually doing some real reporting beyond the cliche locker room interviews and just general complaining and baseless speculation the rest of our media revel in.

19 hours ago, Guile said:

On the more relevant side of things, Holm displayed a great attitude there... I would love to see him up here this season, but I prioritize Utica more than the last 15-20 games of the Nucks season. It would be excellent to see MDZ/Edler gone next year, just to open up a spot for Holm. I'm an Edler supporter, so trading him is more about a return than anything else. For Holm, a full season in Utica plus a summer working on his deficits would set him up really nicely for the 3LD spot next fall.  

If Benning can get something for MDZ he should be moved. Leave Edler until is contract is up and bring Holm up as a possible replacement. fStill confident that Hutton will still develop higher. 

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If Benning can get something for MDZ he should be moved. Leave Edler until is contract is up and bring Holm up as a possible replacement. fStill confident that Hutton will still develop higher. 

Agreed on Hutton, and I think it's much more likely Edler gets traded next TDL, if at all. We'd be hooped without his 23 mins per game next season

• 2 weeks later...

Holm is making a case for himself to get another look.  If Canucks falter again and fell completely out of the playoff race (are they there now?) Holm should get a look at the end of the season.  Not too much though because we need him in Utica. 

4 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Holm is making a case for himself together a look.  If Canucks falter again and fell completely out of the playoff race (are they there now?) Holm should get a look at the end of the season.  Not too much though because we need him in Utica. 

In preseason, he'd look solid and make good plays, then suddenly do something atrocious.  Has that been taken from his game, or at least very much minimized?  If so, the bad things were likely just a function of adjusting to the North American rink and game?

Based on his AHL work to date, if Holm can make the transition to the NHL, he could potentially be our top offensive D-man.  0.675 ppm on a team that isn't known for it's offensive prowess as a defenseman isn't bad at all.  It could transition to 30+ points a season.  Of course, this is speculation at this point, but it's nice to see the potential there.  The little I've been able to watch this season from Utica doesn't show great defensive weakness.

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

In preseason, he'd look solid and make good plays, then suddenly do something atrocious.  Has that been taken from his game, or at least very much minimized?  If so, the bad things were likely just a function of adjusting to the North American rink and game?

Mistakes are way way down.  He could be a little more physical out there but everything else is coming together.  He is really improved and getting settled in the NA game.  He will press for time next year if he stays healthy and adds a little more muscle/snarl to his game.  

6 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Mistakes are way way down.  He could be a little more physical out there but everything else is coming together.  He is really improved and getting settled in the NA game.  He will press for time next year if he stays healthy and adds a little more muscle/snarl to his game.  

We will see who Benning deal at the TDL and how that plays out with potential call ups from Utica. As much as I want TDL deals a priority has to be with the Comets making the playoffs. I do expect Gaudette to be signed at the end of his college season and his debuting either in Van or Utica. A long Calder Cup run would give the prospects valuable experience. 

On 1/24/2018 at 3:16 AM, Guile said:

Agreed on Hutton, and I think it's much more likely Edler gets traded next TDL, if at all. We'd be hooped without his 23 mins per game next season

Edler is our best D right now.   And he doesn't want to leave.  He has a NT.

2 hours ago, samurai said:

Edler is our best D right now.   And he doesn't want to leave.  He has a NT.

Yep, he's been excellent recently, though I'd still say Tanev is the better defender. Regardless, at next year's TDL he'll be considered a rental player, and I hope management looks at the potential return of trading him to a contender. If he plays like he is currently next season, he should (hypothetically) fetch a first round pick, possibly a bit more.

I know he's stated multiple times he doesn't want to leave (though has also said he would consider waiving his NTC if the team asked), this is more a hopeful, best case scenario for our rebuild!

On 22/01/2018 at 6:20 PM, UticaHockey said:

I think maybe what Dhaliwal does is called work, but we'll have to give the other guys a break, cuz maybe they have never before heard of that concept.

Archived