The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Phillip Holm | #29 | D

Rollieo Del Fuego

not convinced that Holm will be a major contributor. I think he's a good depth signing for the backend, since we have a tendency to have so many injuries. I don't have huge hope on Holm to produce offensively, but we are a rebuilding team, so there's no harm signing him. Anyone know his contractual terms? 2 year deal? one way? 

15 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

not convinced that Holm will be a major contributor. I think he's a good depth signing for the backend, since we have a tendency to have so many injuries. I don't have huge hope on Holm to produce offensively, but we are a rebuilding team, so there's no harm signing him. Anyone know his contractual terms? 2 year deal? one way? 

As he is 25 and went un-drafted he had to be signed to a one-year ELC - so. two-way deal for one year.  He's probably getting the maximum base compensation as there were other suitors - so 925K in the NHL and 70K in the AHL. 

14 hours ago, JamesB said:

This is my prediction also: Edler-Stecher, Hutton-Tanev, and Holm-Gudbranson with Pedan as 7th man and I expect the Canucks to also carry Biega as "swingman" -- #8 D or #14 F. When the Canucks needs some energy and muscle, Pedan can slot in for Holm and Biega can play on the 4th line as a forward.

I really hope the Canucks don't find themselves in a place where they have to start playing defense at forward positions.  To my mind, that's bottoming out depth wise.

That was Willie's call.  He needed to have players he could trust and it came down to his best option to play Biega at forward.  

Would Travis Green do the same?  I don't know, but I hope that young players in the system are developing to a point where Green wouldn't have to make such a decision.

7 hours ago, mll said:

As he is 25 and went un-drafted he had to be signed to a one-year ELC - so. two-way deal for one year.  He's probably getting the maximum base compensation as there were other suitors - so 925K in the NHL and 70K in the AHL. 

That's exactly what he's getting according to Cap Friendly.  FWIW

www.capfriendly.com/players/philip-holm

25 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

That's exactly what he's getting according to Cap Friendly.  FWIW

www.capfriendly.com/players/philip-holm

Yeah, their source is a tweet from Kuzma:

So it should be accurate.

Although I can imagine a scenario where Ben went to Cap Friendly yesterday (who post every ELC with those figures before they get confirmation), tweeted out their unconfirmed numbers, and then today, Cap Friendly ends up using Kuzma's tweet as confirmation.

Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. Or the last.

But probably the numbers are correct (and Kuzma used a team source).

23 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I really hope the Canucks don't find themselves in a place where they have to start playing defense at forward positions.  To my mind, that's bottoming out depth wise.

That was Willie's call.  He needed to have players he could trust and it came down to his best option to play Biega at forward.  

Would Travis Green do the same?  I don't know, but I hope that young players in the system are developing to a point where Green wouldn't have to make such a decision.

Not gonna lie though, Biega actually looked decent out there on the 4th line.  I really wouldn't be opposed to him sitting as a plug and play wherever in the line up.

I really believe the kid has what it takes to be a successful 2 way D in the NHL. I would probably throw Maatta as a comparable. He doesn't seem to play a physical game but he can hurt you with the simple things he does like a good first pass, smart positioning, and battles along the boards well. Hope that he surprises and earns a spot this training camp 

Transitioning to the smaller ice surface is more of a challenge for defenseman than it is for forwards. So I hope the fans are a bit patient with Holm as there might be an adjustment period. I am not sure what the terms of his agreement are but I think playing a small stint in the AHL might help getting him acclimated assuming he struggles a bit.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Transitioning to the smaller ice surface is more of a challenge for defenseman than it is for forwards. So I hope the fans are a bit patient with Holm as there might be an adjustment period. I am not sure what the terms of his agreement are but I think playing a small stint in the AHL might help getting him acclimated assuming he struggles a bit.

If he passes the eye test the corsi people will be all over him and if he passes the corsi test, the eye people will be all over him. If he's a rare gem then he could be both.

Edler is a corsi guy

Tanev is a corsi guy

Gudbranson is more eye test

Hutton is eye test (Corsi improving)

Sbisa is more eye, but not always
Tryamkin was eye test approved

Stecher is a rare gem (Corsi + Eye)

Juolevi should be both

Brisebois could be both

McEneny has a chance to be both, but leaning towards eye test

Holm looks like a Corsi approved player to me

Subban is neither yet

Pedan is neither yet

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2017 at 6:51 AM, Toews said:

Very good point.   Far less time to get to the puck and make that first pass and/or turn along the boards.   It is likely the biggest change in the game for any player in terms of playing all your life with a set timeframe to do something and now that timing is messed up sufficient that you feel more rushed than you feel you can make a good decision.   Not saying that will happen to him at all as the highlights show a poised dude but if he struggles, it will be that first decision touch in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Very good point.   Far less time to get to the puck and make that first pass and/or turn along the boards.   It is likely the biggest change in the game for any player in terms of playing all your life with a set timeframe to do something and now that timing is messed up sufficient that you feel more rushed than you feel you can make a good decision.   Not saying that will happen to him at all as the highlights show a poised dude but if he struggles, it will be that first decision touch in my opinion.

I would say with practice, and some mentorship he should be good to go by the start of the season. Can always send him down to Utica for 5-10 games to get his  bearings as he won't need waivers I think. These guys are so smart and so coachable that they can take the advice of coaches and almost immediately apply it to their games. That being said when a player gets tired their mental ability goes down and rely on their training and practise, so we could see a few blips in his play towards the end of games.

I'm actually excited to see him play with the Nucks. We could use another great passer on our team. I'm pretty sure Green is the type of coach who likes to get the puck moving in transition as opposed to dumping it out.

Even though the clear off the glass is consistent at preventing goals it's probably just as consistent at inhibiting our team from trying to score them. As such I'm hopefully we will see a little more high event hockey, that goes end to end rather than dump and chase.

Besides, when you have a great breakout, it forces the other team to think twice about jumping up and pinching on the boards. We need to keep the other team honest, and that is not possible if we try the same thing most of the time. Too predictable, and great players can anticipate that mistake, and take advantage.

19 hours ago, Derp... said:

I would say with practice, and some mentorship he should be good to go by the start of the season. Can always send him down to Utica for 5-10 games to get his  bearings as he won't need waivers I think. These guys are so smart and so coachable that they can take the advice of coaches and almost immediately apply it to their games. That being said when a player gets tired their mental ability goes down and rely on their training and practise, so we could see a few blips in his play towards the end of games.

I'm actually excited to see him play with the Nucks. We could use another great passer on our team. I'm pretty sure Green is the type of coach who likes to get the puck moving in transition as opposed to dumping it out.

Even though the clear off the glass is consistent at preventing goals it's probably just as consistent at inhibiting our team from trying to score them. As such I'm hopefully we will see a little more high event hockey, that goes end to end rather than dump and chase.

Besides, when you have a great breakout, it forces the other team to think twice about jumping up and pinching on the boards. We need to keep the other team honest, and that is not possible if we try the same thing most of the time. Too predictable, and great players can anticipate that mistake, and take advantage.

i'm excited to see what Holm can provide and offer to the team as well. 

at the very worst, he might just be another fringe defenseman, like Larsen was last year (and he was bad)

Archived