The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Rebuilding Plan

In this rebuild, first we need to look at the assets we have.

FUTURE ROSTER

This is the lineup of young (25 and under) players who could be a part of our core going forward.

I'm assuming we take a centerman at #5.  Vilardi, Middelstadt or Glass

As a side note, if Benning hadn't picked up Dahlen and Goldobin, this future chart would look very sad.  It still sort of does.

Dahlen - Vilardi/Mittelstadt/Glass - Boeser

Baerstchi - Horvat - Goldobin

Cassels? - Granlund - Virtanen

Juolevi - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbransson

Holm - Subban?

(Maybe Tryamkin - likely not)

Demko

PRESENT VETERANS

Daniel & Henrik Sedin

Loui Eriksson

Brandon Sutter

Derek Dorsett

Alex Edler

Chris Tanev

Luca Sbisa (if not claimed by Vegas)

Markstrom

PLAN

How long do the Canucks plan to take to rebuild?  This is a key question, because if you look at many of the cup winners over the past ten years, they tanked for several years to get elite talent (Chi - Toews & Kane, Pitt - Crosby, Malkin).  Given the age of 20-21 of many of the Canucks top prospects, they should stay terrible for at least two more years to try to add a couple more elite players.

Demko looks like he could be a real solid goalie of the future.

Juolevi should develop into the anchor for the defense.  Hutton and Stecher are good, but likely never elite.  We need one more top prospect defenseman.

Up front, it currently rides a ton on whether our #5 pick can turn into an elite player.  If not, this forward group likely doesn't have the talent to become elite.  We need to add one or two top winger prospects.

As mentioned, we should likely have a couple more top draft picks over the next two years.  However these should be our aim currently.  Most/all veteran assets should be used to acquire these.  Tanev and Edler are our two top trade baits.  Sutter would also have value.  Sedins likely aren't going anywhere but maybe would consider a rental in their final year to help the Canucks gain assets plus take a shot at the cup.

OFF-SEASON IDEAS

We like to focus on the big signings, but in a rebuild, having solid 25-30 year old players who eat minutes are probably best.

Off-season

Trade Tanev to Boston Bruins for Jake DeBrusk

Boston has been searching for a right handed d-man for a long time.  Also with Chara reaching old age, Tanev is much needed.  DeBrusk is a big skilled two way winger who is a good part of our rebuild.

Trade Edler to Dallas for Lehtonen/Niemi and Julius Honka

Dallas has a lot of skill up front, but struggled defensively.  After signing Bishop they need to shed goalie salary and get better defensively.  Honka is a top defensive prospect who could be our #1 pairing guy with Juolevi long term.

Trade Brandon Sutter to Arizona for Lawson Crouse

Arizona has a lot of prospects and wants to start turning the corner to becoming a legitimate team.  After losing Hanzal, they really need a centerman.  Crouse they picked up in exchange for taking Bolland's contract.  He is a big strong heart-and-soul type guy, but likely no higher than a second line.  He's a part of a core we want going forward.

Sign Dimitry Kulikov 

Sign Cody Franson

These two guys are both UFA's in the 25-27 year old range.  Franson is a local boy.  By signing here they get big minutes, and can take that next step that both of them are capable of.

Organizational Roster

Sedin - Sedin - Boeser

Crouse - Granlund - Virtanen

Eriksson - Gaunce - Dorsett

Kulikov - Franson

Hutton - Stecher

Holm - Gudbransson

Markstrom

Niemi/Lehtonen

In the system: Vilardi/Mittelstadt/Glass, Demko, Juolevi, DeBrusk, Honka, Dahlen, Subban

Overall we added a top winger prospect, a good depth winger prospect, a top defensive prospect, signed a couple veterans to fill roles in the next year while we rebuild.

TRADE DEADLINE

Dorsett for any pick (if possible) at the deadline

Sedins (at deadline only if they are wanting to help Canucks rebuild as well as take shot at cup with their contracts expiring) to Florida for Nick Bjugstad and a 1st round pick

Nice post. 

I like where you are coming from, but I would disagree with you that we need to add top wing prospects.  We should be targeting centres.  

I'm not saying we don't need to add to our winger depth, but I think our depth down the middle is a much bigger issue. 

Regarding Crouse, he is a left winger and we seem to have a glut of guys at left wing.  If we are going to trade away one of our centres we need to replace him with a centre prospect/roster player.  Granlund and Gaunce both looked way better on the wing.  Although I doubt Tampa would go for it, I would rather see us trade Tanev for someone like Brayden Point. 

This is one of the more 'reasonable' rebuild proposals I've seen lately as it doesn't contain anything totally unrealistic.

If recent reports are to be believed however, and I'm not necessarily believing them myself, then JB isn't going to go the 'scorched-earth' route and get rid of most vets on the team - instead he'll keep several on both the forward and the defensive groups in order to keep the team from being completely blown out of each and every single game on a nightly basis.  He has a point - if you have literally no experienced vets throughout the line-up you end up like the Coilers were before Charelli tweaked the team (and yes, of course getting McJesus helps too). 

That said, if a team is ready, willing, and ready to 'overpay' for any single asset we have - I'm sure JB will be all ears as he's said numerous times in the past that it is his job to listen to anything that will improve this team in the long-run. 

2 hours ago, underrated said:

FUTURE ROSTER

This is the lineup of young (25 and under) players who could be a part of our core going forward.

As a side note, if Benning hadn't picked up Dahlen and Goldobin, this future chart would look very sad.  It still sort of does.

Juolevi - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbransson

Holm - Subban?

Demko

PRESENT VETERANS

Daniel & Henrik Sedin

Loui Eriksson

Brandon Sutter

Derek Dorsett

Alex Edler

Chris Tanev

Markstrom

PLAN

How long do the Canucks plan to take to rebuild?  This is a key question, because if you look at many of the cup winners over the past ten years, they tanked for several years to get elite talent (Chi - Toews & Kane, Pitt - Crosby, Malkin).  Given the age of 20-21 of many of the Canucks top prospects, they should stay terrible for at least two more years to try to add a couple more elite players.

Juolevi should develop into the anchor for the defense.  Hutton and Stecher are good, but likely never elite.  We need one more top prospect defenseman.

Up front, it currently rides a ton on whether our #5 pick can turn into an elite player.  If not, this forward group likely doesn't have the talent to become elite.  We need to add one or two top winger prospects.

As mentioned, we should likely have a couple more top draft picks over the next two years.  However these should be our aim currently.  Most/all veteran assets should be used to acquire these.  Tanev and Edler are our two top trade baits.  Sutter would also have value.  Sedins likely aren't going anywhere but maybe would consider a rental in their final year to help the Canucks gain assets plus take a shot at the cup.

OFF-SEASON IDEAS

We like to focus on the big signings, but in a rebuild, having solid 25-30 year old players who eat minutes are probably best.

Off-season

Boston has been searching for a right handed d-man for a long time.  Also with Chara reaching old age, Tanev is much needed.  DeBrusk is a big skilled two way winger who is a good part of our rebuild.

Dallas has a lot of skill up front, but struggled defensively.  After signing Bishop they need to shed goalie salary and get better defensively.  Honka is a top defensive prospect who could be our #1 pairing guy with Juolevi long term.

Arizona has a lot of prospects and wants to start turning the corner to becoming a legitimate team.  After losing Hanzal, they really need a centerman.  Crouse they picked up in exchange for taking Bolland's contract.  He is a big strong heart-and-soul type guy, but likely no higher than a second line.  He's a part of a core we want going forward.

Sign Dimitry Kulikov 

Sign Cody Franson

These two guys are both UFA's in the 25-27 year old range.  Franson is a local boy.  By signing here they get big minutes, and can take that next step that both of them are capable of.

Organizational Roster

Sedin - Sedin - Boeser

Kulikov - Franson

Hutton - Stecher

Holm - Gudbransson

Markstrom

Niemi/Lehtonen

In the system: Vilardi/Mittelstadt/Glass, Demko, Juolevi, DeBrusk, Honka, Dahlen, Subban

Overall we added a top winger prospect, a good depth winger prospect, a top defensive prospect, signed a couple veterans to fill roles in the next year while we rebuild.

TRADE DEADLINE

Sedins (at deadline only if they are wanting to help Canucks rebuild as well as take shot at cup with their contracts expiring) to Florida for Nick Bjugstad and a 1st round pick

You have Cassels on there but no Gaudette, Lockwood, Jasek or Zhukenov?

Fransen will be 30 before the start of next season.....not in the 25-27 range that you suggest.

The Sedins are not going anywhere and you certainly are not going to get Bjugstad and a 1st round pick for them if they did go.

Dallas would buy out Niemi to solve their goalie problem before giving up Honka.

Oh, and Pittsburgh did not tank to get Crosby......every team had the same odds to get him.

9 hours ago, underrated said:

FUTURE ROSTER

Juolevi - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbransson

Holm - Subban?

Demko

PRESENT VETERANS

Daniel & Henrik Sedin

Loui Eriksson

Brandon Sutter

Derek Dorsett

Alex Edler

Chris Tanev

Markstrom

PLAN

OFF-SEASON IDEAS

Off-season

Sign Dimitry Kulikov 

Sign Cody Franson

Organizational Roster

Sedin - Sedin - Boeser

Kulikov - Franson

Hutton - Stecher

Holm - Gudbransson

Markstrom

Niemi/Lehtonen

TRADE DEADLINE

Not going to debate the idea of 'remaining terrible' in order to add more elite players in the draft = can of worms - but your proposals I would comment on.

DeBrusk is not enough return for Tanev.  And I'm not sure which DeBrusk you're talking about, but how "big" is he really?

Edler to Dallas for GT contract and Honka - reasonable enough, although I'd be inclined to demand a top up for taking that contract, and I think you're more likely to land something like the Anaheim 1st, Johns/Oleksiak in a return = not sure Honka would be a player Dallas entertains moving despite having Klingberg - although who is to say?

Sutter for Crouse = not sure what sense this makes from either perspective - this is the proposal that has the least teeth imo.

Sign Kulikov - this is an idea I like and have proposed a few times.  Very young guy for the amount of NHL experience he has and coming off a challenging season in Buffalo, could be a good risk and reasonable price to pay, although the UFA market will be hot with a lot more demand than supply.   Dipping in twice and adding Franson as well - not sure what kind of contracts you're offering, but I'm skeptical.

I'd be happy with an Edler deal and a Kulikov signing myself.

Re Dallas - Friedman believes that Anaheim and the Wild are teams that could pull it off and wonders about Vatanen for 3rd overall.  

Dallas will not be giving up Honka.  LeBrun on RDS said that the goalie situation is a non-issue.  He said they have no problem buying one out - ie so don't expect to get anything substantial in return.  Nill confirmed that he has received the green light from ownership for a buyout.

These playoffs are showing the strides that other teams have made to add mobility on their blue line and speed in general.  It's not lost on Benning - he's been talking about speed ever since he joined.  Franson did not work out in Nashville a couple of years back in large part because of his lack of footspeed.  

Arizona are more likely to give up draft picks to get what they need rather than move young players - trading away a promising young player that is further along in his development sets them back.  Sutter has a NTC - it's only from 2019/20 where it becomes a modified NTC.

On 5/26/2017 at 2:32 PM, stuman491 said:

Nice post. 

I like where you are coming from, but I would disagree with you that we need to add top wing prospects.  We should be targeting centres.  

I'm not saying we don't need to add to our winger depth, but I think our depth down the middle is a much bigger issue. 

My thought there is that we add a top centerman with the 5th overall pick as our future #1 guy.  Then Horvat is a great #2.  So that fills the top centerman spots for the future.  Gaunce, Cassels or someone else can play third line.  Totally agree though that centerman are really important.  I'm hoping our #5 pick turns into an elite player.

I agree with most of the points but I don't see Arizona biting on the Sutter trade (they want to rebuild as well) and I don't see the Sedins being traded. Realistically, I think all these kids on the Canucks roster need some veteran presence and someone to teach them how to play like professionals, and as bad as they are on the ice, the Sedins and Sutter are the perfect mentors for kids. They can teach them to play consistently, prepare for every game the right way and Sutter can still help out as a 3rd line veteran center for a long time. The twins probably only have a year or two left but Sutter should be good for a few more years to anchor our 3rd line while Vilardi/Mittelstatd/Glass and Horvat take the reins slowly. 

I'd love a Tanev/Edler deal for a future top center or forward or defensive prospect but I don't think it's going to happen, so here's how I see our forward lines in 2-3 years time:

Dahlen - 5th overall 2017 pick - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - UFA/trade

Granlund - Sutter - Goldobin

UFA/Utica - Gaunce - Virtanen

On defence, we really should add an elite defenceman who can skate and score. Edler's going to retire soon anyway, Tanev and Sbisa and Gudbranson do have a bit more time though. We lack a true leader on the blueline and have for a while, so hopefully one of Sbisa or Gudbranson can fill that role. Regardless, I see us taking a defenceman with the top 2018 pick (it's a deep defensive first round draft). Again in about 3 years time we could be looking at:

Juolevi - 2018 1st round pick (if he's fast-tracked, ie. played in a men's league in his draft year)

UFA/trade - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa

Subban

I could certainly see Edler gone in 3-5 years time and Tanev might get flipped at the following deadline for a high pick of player.

To fill all those needs, what trades do we need to make?

1) I'd love for the Canucks to go after an elite puck moving defenceman. Shea Theodore has been in my books as one of the future elite defencemen for a long time and he's been hidden in Anaheim for some time, but now that he's had a stellar playoffs he'll be in their plans. Montour is there too but isn't as good all-round as Theodore. With Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm and their veterans, someone's sitting out. Bieksa's only getting older and Tanev would be the perfect replacement for him.

I'd do Tanev + Granlund/Goldobin for Theodore + 2nd or 3rd round pick in a heart-beat at the deadline. Give the Ducks an instant top-4 defenceman and 15-20 goal scorer, we get back a 40-60 point defenceman.

I like where your going with this..maybe trade Tanev to Ottawa instead, they could use some shot suppression help and after this recent run could use some extra pieces to push them to the next level now.  In return ask for D prospect Chabot ( ranked third best prospect in the world) or one of their top ranked centers, White (12th), or Logan Brown (14) and a high pick in either this years or next year's draft.   MTL is another option, ask for Sergachev, although they don't seem that interested in parting with him.  

Maybe EDM feels they need a guy like Tanev more than Puljajarvi.. surely they could tweak their lineup and go for it all now given they are already considered contenders in McDavids second season, and defense is still a weakness.  

Honka (17th best prospect in the world,  and he could play right away, already done almost three years of AHL seasoning, Juolevi is ranked  15 the btw) would also be ideal.  I hope management is shopping these guys, there are loads of grade A prospects out there that would make the team younger and free up cap space.

COL too, target Jost, considered captain material that can do it all, with no weakness in his game Toews comparisons...ranked 11.  First line center?

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe EDM feels they need a guy like Tanev more than Puljajarvi.. surely they could tweak their lineup and go for it all now given they are already considered contenders in McDavids second season, and defense is still a weakness.

Makes so much sense for Edmonton, cost certainty, Tanev at 4.5 mil is a bargain for a top two/three dman and he is still a stats favourite.

Puljajarvi has much more upside, has a large frame, is a point producer and could play center.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

I like where your going with this..maybe trade Tanev to Ottawa instead, they could use some shot suppression help and after this recent run could use some extra pieces to push them to the next level now.  In return ask for D prospect Chabot ( ranked third best prospect in the world) or one of their top ranked centers, White (12th), or Logan Brown (14) and a high pick in either this years or next year's draft.   MTL is another option, ask for Sergachev, although they don't seem that interested in parting with him.  

Honka (17th best prospect in the world,  and he could play right away, already done almost three years of AHL seasoning, Juolevi is ranked  15 the btw) would also be ideal.  I hope management is shopping these guys, there are loads of grade A prospects out there that would make the team younger and free up cap space.

COL too, target Jost, considered captain material that can do it all, with no weakness in his game Toews comparisons...ranked 11.  First line center?

I like your proposal but I doubt that Ottawa will give away Chabot / Brown or White and I also think Jost is a key figure for the next Avs core.

I'm not sure if JB is reluctant to trade Tanev or if it was just a clever move from him to raise his value, we should definately add more top prospect/picks to our group during the next few years.

5 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Makes so much sense for Edmonton, cost certainty, Tanev at 4.5 mil is a bargain for a top two/three dman and he is still a stats favourite.

Puljajarvi has much more upside, has a large frame, is a point producer and could play center.

It sure would make up for last year's draft... should have been ours in the first place.   Puljajarvi will figure things out and eventually have an impact like his brethren Laine and Aho....and Juolevi too.

17 hours ago, underrated said:

My thought there is that we add a top centerman with the 5th overall pick as our future #1 guy.  Then Horvat is a great #2.  So that fills the top centerman spots for the future.  Gaunce, Cassels or someone else can play third line.  Totally agree though that centerman are really important.  I'm hoping our #5 pick turns into an elite player.

This would be ideal.  Benning needs an excellent first round pick,  but this year is a crapshoot, surely some of the players will excel but the scouts and rankings indicate that not many are even surefire NHLers let alone stars.  It would be nice to slide this year's fifth pick right into our first line center, but if this was Horvats draft year he would likely be competing with Patrick for first overall.  

I think everyone underestimates Horvat ceiling and he's making a name for himself proving people wrong. He was supposed to be a bad skater and his ceiling was a third line center. He's put up his first 50 point season at such a young age and his determination is definitely in the top percentage of the league. In his prime he could be a 70 80 plus point player and a beast in playoff hockey. 

I also think this draft is not as strong as in the past few, however I think Casey Mittlestadt could turn into a star first line center (hoping he's available at 5).  

13 hours ago, Jav_11 said:

I think everyone underestimates Horvat ceiling and he's making a name for himself proving people wrong. He was supposed to be a bad skater and his ceiling was a third line center. He's put up his first 50 point season at such a young age and his determination is definitely in the top percentage of the league. In his prime he could be a 70 80 plus point player and a beast in playoff hockey. 

I also think this draft is not as strong as in the past few, however I think Casey Mittlestadt could turn into a star first line center (hoping he's available at 5).  

I don't think I'm underestimating Horvat, but rather putting him in the same category as Kesler, when we also had Henrik as our #1.  Kesler was a stud in the playoffs for us, he was a big part of the team, but as a #2 guy, he wasn't relied on to carry all the offensive load, which is why he also played a key defensive role.  Horvat fits into the mold, and if we really want to compete for the cup I think we need two top centerman, one of which would be Horvat.

12 hours ago, Jav_11 said:

Maybe.  I admit that I underestimated him, as I felt elite 2nd line center was his ceiling, and he is already a low end 1st line center with upside.  I think it may still be a stretch to believe he will be an elite #1 center though.  I believe now he will settle as an average 1st line center.  Which, if true - is still really good considering what most of us thought we had in him.  We absolutely need another high end center though - regardless of where Horvat settles. Sutter absolutely doesn't cut it in that position, and next to goaltending I believe the center position to be the most important on a team.

As far as the original suggestions go:

I really don't want to give up Tanev, but if we are going to, the time is now.  I can't really comment on this proposal though, since I know nothing about DeBrusk except that I didn't think he was really particularly big?  We absolutely need talented players who can play with grit.  Virtanen will be a good addition in that regard eventually, but I just don't see him reaching even the 2nd line so we need a guy with that skillset who is actually good enough to get on that 2nd line at least.  If DeBrusk is that guy, I would consider this.

I agree with the poster who said this was unlikely.  There were rumblings of just buying out Niemi.  Honka still has the potential to tune his game to a more defensive nature rather than just offensive, so I don't know why Dallas would want to lose yet another member of their struggling defense.  If nothing else, Honka should soon be able to score enough to help offset the lack of defensive ability on their team.

I don't mind Sutter as much as many, but I'd be willing to do this one too.  We are all aware of Sutters upside.  (Or lack of)

Sign Dimitry Kulikov 
Too much for what he brings, imo.

Sign Cody Franson

I would do this.  Brings some extra grit and a bit of scoring on the back end.

I would also limit the amount of UFA signings back there.  I want to ensure players like Subban and now Holm get a chance to play and show what they can do.

Overall, I like the suggestions - except getting rid of the Sedins.  They will retire here.  I also see little need in getting rid of Dorsett.  At least not right now.  Our team is even softer without him.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

These rebuilding plans are all great.  I'd be happy if JB followed any of them.  Thing is, I don't believe we are really rebuilding.  I want us to be, but I don't think we are/will go through with it.

Trading Burrows and particularly Hansen with his friendly cap hit for Dahlen and Goldobin was management showing a willingness to rebuild....let's just hope they are done signing UFAs to ridiculous contracts.  The team does need veternas to show the kids how to play, no need to ship everyone out....drafting is key going forward, the Sedins won't be around for much longer, three years at most, which matches the development curve nicely.  Elder and Tanev might be traded later....

Archived