The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton: Do We Really Need Him?

Horvats_Big_Head

The answer is yes.

I am simply appalled at all of the people who are saying we should trade Ben Hutton, all because we made some depth signing today. Yeah, maybe Mr. Conservative Benning is saying we are not going to trade Tanev or Edler now, but there is a long way to go until the draft. When we are rebuilding and trying to get younger, why on Earth would we trade one of our best young Dman? It is dumb on so many levels. 

Reasons to not trade Ben Hutton:

1. He is a beauty and fan favorite. Everybody loves the guy. He is the guy in the locker room that everybody likes because he is so goofy. He will keep some of the guys together. Anybody who has been on a hockey team knows that these goofballs are important.

2. He is YOUNG with an affordable cap hit. He is growing with this team, being best buds with Horvat, Baer, Virtanen etc. Second year in the NHL playing top 4 minutes. Sure, he had some hiccups this year but that is no reason to give up on someone. He has shown many times what he is capable of and everyone should like what they see. Fast, good with the puck, good first pass, nice shot. He is a new age offensive defenseman for sure. 

3. We don't have the left side depth to trade him. We currently have Edler, Hutton, Sbisa (Hopefully gone by expansion), Pedan, and this new guy Holm. I would argue that Hutton is the most valuable of all those defenseman. I hate Edler with a passion, Hutton is a smarter player.

4. He is a nice person. No character flaws ala Evander Kane or other POS. 

Ben Hutton is perhaps the best thing that Mike Gillis did for this team aside from Bo Horvat, and people are throwing him into trade talks without any second thought. We need Ben Hutton. We need his defense. We need his smile. If anyone is traded, it should be Edler or Tanev. 

Are you basing all of this on a couple of us throwing around Hutton's name in another thread? It's the offseason. Anyone not named Horvat will be traded 100 times over on these boards.

Hutton is a good young defenseman. Good but not great. I don't think he'll get traded but if he did, life goes on. 

I am pissed the Canucks are shopping him or supposedly are. He's 23(?) is a great team guy and likes to have fun, Great personality. Not only is he offensive minded something our D lacks, Edler is declining offensively every season so who is the replacement offensively on the left side? The Canucks need more scoring from their D and they want to trade the guy with the most offensive potential. Arguably you could make the case for Stecher but you need more than one guy.

Hutton won't get us the best return anyway. We are rebuilding we should be trading older D. Hutton fits right into our core. TANEV is the guy. Love him but not much offence and is starting to get injured a lot. NOW IS THE TIME TO TRADE TANEV. before his NTC kicks in July 1. Benning has never had to chance to trade an NHL regular that didn't have a NTC. Id like to see the return for Tanev knowing he can go anywhere not just chose his destination.Id even trade Edler before Hutton and I feel Edler has much higher trade value as well. A 3-4 on a good team Edler would be a solid addition. 

However, Hutton can struggle defensively but his offence and potential makes up for that. 

Canucks grow a pair and ship out one of Tanev or Edler not Hutton. By the time we are good again ( Cup contenders) Edler is 36 Tanev is 32-33, Hutton is 27-28 ( in his prime )

Im not buying that they are part of the future and transition period and without them we will get worse. We suck lets face it change is needed. We can't keep brining back the same "foundational players" back. We finished 29th in the league how much worse could we really get without them. 

2 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

The answer is yes.

I am simply appalled at all of the people who are saying we should trade Ben Hutton, all because we made some depth signing today. Yeah, maybe Mr. Conservative Benning is saying we are not going to trade Tanev or Edler now, but there is a long way to go until the draft. When we are rebuilding and trying to get younger, why on Earth would we trade one of our best young Dman? It is dumb on so many levels. 

Reasons to not trade Ben Hutton:

1. He is a beauty and fan favorite. Everybody loves the guy. He is the guy in the locker room that everybody likes because he is so goofy. He will keep some of the guys together. Anybody who has been on a hockey team knows that these goofballs are important.

2. He is YOUNG with an affordable cap hit. He is growing with this team, being best buds with Horvat, Baer, Virtanen etc. Second year in the NHL playing top 4 minutes. Sure, he had some hiccups this year but that is no reason to give up on someone. He has shown many times what he is capable of and everyone should like what they see. Fast, good with the puck, good first pass, nice shot. He is a new age offensive defenseman for sure. 

3. We don't have the left side depth to trade him. We currently have Edler, Hutton, Sbisa (Hopefully gone by expansion), Pedan, and this new guy Holm. I would argue that Hutton is the most valuable of all those defenseman. I hate Edler with a passion, Hutton is a smarter player.

4. He is a nice person. No character flaws ala Evander Kane or other POS. 

Ben Hutton is perhaps the best thing that Mike Gillis did for this team aside from Bo Horvat, and people are throwing him into trade talks without any second thought. We need Ben Hutton. We need his defense. We need his smile. If anyone is traded, it should be Edler or Tanev. 

I'm just going to start off by sayin nice thread and I agree Hutton is a must keep

But why the Edler hate? What did he ever do to you to deserve so much hate?

Sure he has been under performing the last few years but a back injury, rebuild, and musical coaches can do that. He's still a great player and he proved that at the world's.  Only in Vancouver do the Sedins, Eriksson, and Edler suck. Put them on another team and all the haters will be praising their play.

Do not undersell Edler, he's worth a 1st wether the mojority of our fans believe so or not. If we can't get a 1st we keep him to mentor the young guys. It's really a win win, unless we just dump him for scraps then that's just a major loss

I'm never a supporter of keeping a player because he's a nice guy to have around. Maybe that's why he's getting shopped? 

Or maybe he's getting shopped so that Benning can pull a bait and switch on the other GM for Tanev or Edler. Who knows? Taking a breather and letting everything unfold will do some good for some.  

He is a great guy.  Sure. 

He is an alright young dman. Yup.  

I agree with a lot.  

But hoping we lose Sbisa is just stupid. 

Sbisa has been one of our better Dmen for the last 1.5-2 seasons now. 

Saying you 'hate Elder with a passion' is stupid as well.   

The guy take a lot of unwarranted hate from a handful of morons here.  

Use him properly, and you would love him.  Aka  team Sweden. 

Also, if Hutton is the second best thing gillis did in your mind, you must not remember those presidents trophies or Stanley cup finals. 

I am all for keeping one Hutton and trading one of Edler or Tanev, but whyyou always have to ruin your posts with a handful of pooh comments? 

You always make clicking that minus button so easy. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

It depends on the return, doesn't it?  Would you trade Hutton straight up for Drouin or Reinhart?  

That's always the question isn't it. Bennings has not or will not say he is shopping anyone on this team, including Hutton but if someone blows him away I guess someone else can wear Harold Snepsts 27 next year.

45 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I agree with a lot.  

Also, if Hutton is the second best thing gillis did in your mind, you must not remember those presidents trophies or Stanley cup finals. 

I am all for keeping one Hutton and trading one of Edler or Tanev, but whyyou always have to ruin your posts with a handful of pooh comments? 

Facts are staring at you right in the face. Horvat and Hutton are the two best picks Gillis made. Have a look on hockeydb, and see Canucks drafting from 2007-2013. 

That's the reason Benning has had to try and revamp our prospect pool, and provide serviceable players to fill the gaps in the meantime.

4 hours ago, Hortankin said:

I'm just going to start off by sayin nice thread and I agree Hutton is a must keep

But why the Edler hate? What did he ever do to you to deserve so much hate?

Sure he has been under performing the last few years but a back injury, rebuild, and musical coaches can do that. He's still a great player and he proved that at the world's.  Only in Vancouver do the Sedins, Eriksson, and Edler suck. Put them on another team and all the haters will be praising their play.

Do not undersell Edler, he's worth a 1st wether the mojority of our fans believe so or not. If we can't get a 1st we keep him to mentor the young guys. It's really a win win, unless we just dump him for scraps then that's just a major loss

I'm not sure it's necessarily "hate" as you say. Speaking for myself, I consider it a 'swedish overdose'. For the last 15+ years the most longstanding top players on the Canucks have been from Sweden, and let's be honest, the ones we've had have looked pretty apathetic at times and largely ineffective in the playoffs. Now we have another in Eriksson who's proven to be most effective when playing in international tournaments or in contract years.

Dont get me wrong, they've been very good players we've had - Naslund, the Sedins, Edler, etc. - but as it goes without saying, they haven't been the top players we've needed to get us over the championship hump. Personally I dont hate any of them, I've just had enough (overdosed) of their style of play, turn the other cheek attitude, regular season performance in the playoffs, play great when it doesn't benefit the the Canucks and then appear disinterested when they do, or just straight-up look like they're here to cash the cheques. As far as I'm concerned they can all go right now, but I'll wish them the best as they walk away. Not hate, just had enough.

Ben Hutton's a keeper.

8 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Are you basing all of this on a couple of us throwing around Hutton's name in another thread? It's the offseason. Anyone not named Horvat will be traded 100 times over on these boards.

Hutton is a good young defenseman. Good but not great. I don't think he'll get traded but if he did, life goes on. 

like everything it depends on the return. If its part of a bigger package deal for a guy named Duchene or Reinhart or a top 3 pick I really don't see why not. I don't think its likely but who knows. 

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I agree with a lot.  

Wow okay.

Sbisa has been brutal the last couple years we have had him. Sure, he has flashes of a great player, but is so bad with the puck so much of the time in his own end. He is a turnover machine. I hate Edler because although I must admit he is a very good player, he seems to always f*ck up when it matters most. in 2013 when his shot got blocked and Raffi Torres scored. Tons of bad penalties at bad times. And he doesn't seem to care either, always has that blank stare on his face. Add to the fact that he said he would refuse a trade, virtually handcuffing us into trading Juice. He is a selfish man who is there to collect a paycheck, nothing more. I am flabbergasted that not everyone hates Edler like me. 

And yeah, I was saying the second best thing Gillis has done for this current squad. Hutton is the second best draft pick Gillis ever made. This is obvious. 

Isn't that the problem with this team? We get so attached to prospects or players that we eventually lose the value of the player.

this may be the best moment to trade hutton as he is exempt from expansion and may be valued higher in that regard. If we could get a player like Drouin or Niederreiter for Hutton and a nominal plus then I think that'd be quite worthwhile 

Archived