The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Conditional Dallas trade (if Benning is serious about a rebuild)

Edler + 2nd round pick ( if we are lucky CBJ 2nd rd pick) for 3rd OA.

Then we trade Tanev by the trade deadline. No one will give us picks for next years more high draft. Take what we can before the deadline and run or trade Tanev now to Toronto for their first and assets

4 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Edler + 2nd round pick ( if we are lucky CBJ 2nd rd pick) for 3rd OA.

Then we trade Tanev by the trade deadline. No one will give us picks for next years more high draft. Take what we can before the deadline and run or trade Tanev now to Toronto for their first and assets

Okay, except the TO part.  Tanev is what they really need, so UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES can they have him:) 

22 minutes ago, Toews said:

Last year the Canucks paid McCann + 33rd for Gudbranson. After an injury riddled campaign he is now worth the 3rd overall pick? This isn't close. Even Edler for the 3rd isn't happening. We will get a package of prospects and picks if Edler is moved not the 3rd overall pick. Gudbranson isn't worth moving as he needs to come back and prove that he is a top 4 defenseman for him to have good value.

I did mention that Van may have to add a 2nd to 4th round pick to sweeten the pot (depending on contract extension details). 

Last years 33rd overall and Mccann was just outside of offering 2 1st round picks in a stronger draft.

Gudbransons game has never been based on points, even his junior numbers were not great.  It is his size that attitude that got him drafted 3rd overall.  He is a playoff hockey style that is very attractive to teams that actually have a shot of playing in the playoffs.  

Just now, 2011 said:

I did mention that Van may have to add a 2nd to 4th round pick to sweeten the pot (depending on contract extension details). 

Last years 33rd overall and Mccann was just outside of offering 2 1st round picks in a stronger draft.

Gudbransons game has never been based on points, even his junior numbers were not great.  It is his size that attitude that got him drafted 3rd overall.  He is a playoff hockey style that is very attractive to teams that actually have a shot of playing in the playoffs.  

2nd/4th round picks aren't enough to bridge that gap IMO. Its not just that his raw stats aren't great but his possession numbers aren't very good either. I wouldn't even say he is a top 4 defenseman until he can play in the role and prove that he can handle those minutes without getting killed in shot metrics. I have hopes that can he become a better player as he is still fairly young but he doesn't have close to the value needed to attain a 3rd overall pick and adding a few 2nd or 3rds isn't going to change that. I would much rather have Heiskanen/Glass over Gudbranson and to me its not a very difficult decision at all and that's what makes this lopsided.

2 hours ago, 2011 said:

That could be true.  Depends on Dallas's wants and needs.  They could get better offers for their 3rd overall pick (Landeskog, Kane), but I believe that a defenceman is their top priority.  Is Faulk better than Guds?

If your talking about Justin Faulk than definitely.  He's turning into a bona fide number one that can make a huge impact on games, scores goals excellent two way defensemen.  Injuries halted yet another career year... 

2 hours ago, Toews said:

Last year the Canucks paid McCann + 33rd for Gudbranson. After an injury riddled campaign he is now worth the 3rd overall pick? This isn't close. Even Edler for the 3rd isn't happening. We will get a package of prospects and picks if Edler is moved not the 3rd overall pick. Gudbranson isn't worth moving as he needs to come back and prove that he is a top 4 defenseman for him to have good value.

Trading Guddy wouldnt be all bad, signing him could become a serious handcuff, especially if a NTC is included and he doesn't improve...hes a bit of a high risk, high reward, and with LE sucking up cap space the team cant afford another dud.  Of course this all depends on term and cost.  I do think toughness, leadership and production all have there merits and without him our team is very soft.  The ideal scene is we sign him and he improves....and then possibly trade him to a contender if it makes sense.

2 hours ago, Pears said:

And without Gudbranson players will go the front our net all day and there would be nothing we could do about it. 

At least we will probably have Miller...

5 hours ago, Pears said:

What sense is there in trading Gudbranson?

Exactly. Knowing what we know now about him(imho) he would go higher than 3rd in this years draft, hes a cornerstone piece just like Tryamkin(hopefully).

You simply cannot trade these guys anyone with a passing knowledge of hockey that watches Gudbranson, knows what kind of upside this guy has. All the

potential in the world, a born leader, carries an swagger that this team needs.

Benning IS serious about a rebuild.

Vilardi is not a guarantee (assuming that's OP's target pick).

We're better off trading for developed talent these next two years (ex. Goldobin, Dahlen).

Benning will retool and draft gems in later rounds. 

We'll be fine.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

JB is committed to a rebuild, just not the normal definition of a rebuild.  He won't be selling everyone off and starting over.  We are still in the rebuilding on the fly crap they've been spewing to us.  I'm not opposed to that strategy but you need to have players to build around for it to work and thats not the case here.

I think the fantasy trade world is very different to the real world, so I'll pop these down as what I wish would happen compared to what might actually happen:

FANTASTY WORLD

TO VAN: 3rd overall + Lehtonen + Honka

TO DAL: Tanev + Miller + 2nd round pick (CBJ)

Draft Vilardi at 3rd overall, Heiskanen at 5th overall

Draft a defenceman with the 1st round pick in 2018 (looks like lots of elite D-men in the early goings of the draft).

3-4 years time:

Dahlen - Vilardi - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - UFA

Granlund - Sutter - Goldobin

UFA/Utica - Gaunce - Virtanen

Juolevi - 2018 1st round pick

Heiskanen - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Honka

Sbisa

Demko

Markstrom

REAL WORLD

Miller, Tanev and Edler probably aren't going to be moved. Hutton hasn't been saved yet.

TO DAL: Hutton + Vancouver's 2nd round pick (33rd overall) + Subban or depth forward like Gaunce

TO VAN: 3rd overall

Honestly I'd give up a fair bit for Vilardi after watching him in the Memorial Cup, especially in the finals as a 17 year old kid. He was dominant, his skating was much better and his vision is something this team could use. Soft hands, long reach, big frame to grow into. He will be the next Ryan Getzlaf and as far as I'm concerned you go all-out for players like that, especially ones who can come up clutch in championship games. Nolan and Hirschier may be flashy and good now but I think Vilardi will be the "sleeper" pick and may be the best of the bunch in 3-5 years time.

I find it funny how some people say the Canucks will be worse if we get rid of this guy or get rid of that guy, especially when said players haven't been noticeable contributors . Sometimes addition by subtraction actually works!

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think the fantasy trade world is very different to the real world, so I'll pop these down as what I wish would happen compared to what might actually happen:

FANTASTY WORLD

TO VAN: 3rd overall + Lehtonen + Honka

TO DAL: Tanev + Miller + 2nd round pick (CBJ)

Draft Vilardi at 3rd overall, Heiskanen at 5th overall

Draft a defenceman with the 1st round pick in 2018 (looks like lots of elite D-men in the early goings of the draft).

3-4 years time:

Dahlen - Vilardi - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - UFA

Granlund - Sutter - Goldobin

UFA/Utica - Gaunce - Virtanen

Juolevi - 2018 1st round pick

Heiskanen - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Honka

Sbisa

Demko

Markstrom

REAL WORLD

Miller, Tanev and Edler probably aren't going to be moved. Hutton hasn't been saved yet.

TO DAL: Hutton + Vancouver's 2nd round pick (33rd overall) + Subban or depth forward like Gaunce

TO VAN: 3rd overall

Honestly I'd give up a fair bit for Vilardi after watching him in the Memorial Cup, especially in the finals as a 17 year old kid. He was dominant, his skating was much better and his vision is something this team could use. Soft hands, long reach, big frame to grow into. He will be the next Ryan Getzlaf and as far as I'm concerned you go all-out for players like that, especially ones who can come up clutch in championship games. Nolan and Hirschier may be flashy and good now but I think Vilardi will be the "sleeper" pick and may be the best of the bunch in 3-5 years time.

Miller is a free agent and thus cannot be traded in the fantasy world or the real world

Gudbransson is 25 years old, maybe he didn't fully lived up to its potential 3rd overall, but he is a legit top 4 defenseman, that will likely continue to improve and probably hit his prime, once the Canucks are competitive again in 2-3 years.

That's the type of player you need for a rebuild.   We can't have only 19-20-21 years old and hoping that they will have develop at the same time. 

11 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Rebuilding... by trading away a dman who just turned 25?  And exactly how much smaller and softer do you want this team to become?  Gonna have Subban take his place, too?

Yes.  You have to trade something good to get something good.  And as I pointed out earlier, trading gudbranson would allow the team to protect Sbisa. That's essentially who takes Gudbransons place playing the physical game.  

Archived