The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Chemistry - Trade and Draft

These Suggestions are to to build upon Chemistry that already exists.

If we are not getting any generational players in the near future perhaps the way to go is to acquire prospects who have existing chemistry with our current prospects.

Trade 1

TO CHI

- Brandon Sutter

- 2nd round pick (CBJ)

TO VAN

- Nick Schmaltz

Sutter could waive his NTC to try to win a cup and to be in somewhat driving distance to his home town Huntington,NY.  (Chi figures out their cap situation before trade)

Nick Schmaltz and Brock Boeser had amazing chemistry in North Dakota winning the National championship . 

Trade 2

TO CBJ

- Derick Dorsett

- 4th round pick (VAN)

TO VAN

- Josh Anderson

Horvat and Anderson had some good chemistry on the London Knights winning the Memorial Cup.

Anderson is tough and can put the puck in the net which might work well with Sven and BO . 

I would then draft Elias Pettersson with our 5th Overall who played with Dahlen putting up big points.

Schmaltz and Boeser

Horvat and Anderson

Pettersson and Dahlen

Can anyone think of other prospect that have past chemistry with our current prospects that would fit with our team?

Chicago is looking for cap relief.  They like Kruger as their shutdown C and his cap hit is lower than Sutter's.  Chicago is rumoured to have made a deal with Vegas where they will refrain from trading Trevor van Riemsdyk before expansion so that Vegas can select him on the condition that they trade for Kruger. 

Schmaltz is also untouchable for them - he is finally starting to find his way.  He had good chemistry with Toews to finish the season.  It's also a question of cap - they need those lower cap hits to balance their higher salaries.

Sutter was born in NY because of his father's job.  His hometown is Sylvan Lake, Alberta.  His father is the owner of the Red Deer Rebels.

Columbus is really high on Anderson - Portzline believes they will do everything they can to protect him including buying out Hartnell if he refuses to waive.

11 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Don't we already have a dynamic junior in Boucher and Goldobin?  Unlike Dejardins... maybe Green will try them together.  Assuming we sign Boucher?

I Agree, i hope they get playing time together and spark some of that old chemistry.

24 minutes ago, mll said:

Chicago is looking for cap relief.  They like Kruger as their shutdown C and his cap hit is lower than Sutter's.  Chicago is rumoured to have made a deal with Vegas where they will refrain from trading Trevor van Riemsdyk before expansion so that Vegas can select him on the condition that they trade for Kruger. 

Schmaltz is also untouchable for them - he is finally starting to find his way.  He had good chemistry with Toews to finish the season.  It's also a question of cap - they need those lower cap hits to balance their higher salaries.

Sutter was born in NY because of his father's job.  His hometown is Sylvan Lake, Alberta.  His father is the owner of the Red Deer Rebels.

Columbus is really high on Anderson - Portzline believes they will do everything they can to protect him including buying out Hartnell if he refuses to waive.

Interesting... I didn't know Sutter had roots in Red Deer.

So yes both teams are high on their players but i wouldn't say Schmaltz is untouchable.

What do you think it would take to Acquire either player?

1 hour ago, canuckmen84 said:

These Suggestions are to to build upon Chemistry that already exists.

If we are not getting any generational players in the near future perhaps the way to go is to acquire prospects who have existing chemistry with our current prospects.

Trade 1

TO CHI

- Brandon Sutter

- 2nd round pick (CBJ)

TO VAN

- Nick Schmaltz

Sutter could waive his NTC to try to win a cup and to be in somewhat driving distance to his home town Huntington,NY.  (Chi figures out their cap situation before trade)

Nick Schmaltz and Brock Boeser had amazing chemistry in North Dakota winning the National championship . 

Trade 2

TO CBJ

- Derick Dorsett

- 4th round pick (VAN)

TO VAN

- Josh Anderson

Horvat and Anderson had some good chemistry on the London Knights winning the Memorial Cup.

Anderson is tough and can put the puck in the net which might work well with Sven and BO . 

I would then draft Elias Pettersson with our 5th Overall who played with Dahlen putting up big points.

Schmaltz and Boeser

Horvat and Anderson

Pettersson and Dahlen

Can anyone think of other prospect that have past chemistry with our current prospects that would fit with our team?

The GM has said Sutter is a foundational player, why would he want to trade him?

10 minutes ago, canuckmen84 said:

Interesting... I didn't know Sutter had roots in Red Deer.

So yes both teams are high on their players but i wouldn't say Schmaltz is untouchable.

What do you think it would take to Acquire either player?

I don't think they are available.

McKenzie listed Schmaltz as untouchable as well as Kero, Hartman and Forsling.  There were others too - he was running down the list pre-TDL.  He explained that Chicago sees those guys as their future.  Schmaltz is 925K for another two seasons.  He helps their cap hit and he can play in the league.  They need to fill their roster and they won't find anyone that brings what he does at that cap hit.

IMO Junior chemistry is overrated.  Players having success in junior could also just mean, that 2 talented player are miles beyond the average talent in junior.  No guarantee whatsoever that this will translate in the NHL.

Anyways, either teams laugh at these proposals and hang up. 

Anderson is young player who Torts seems to like very much.  No use of having an overpaid 4th liner and 4th rounder, Columbus will have enough problem signing their RFA and expiring ELC.

Chicago will get rid of Kruger and Van Riemsdyk to create cap space, they don't have the cap space for Sutter, nor would they waste it on him.  What Chicago needs are young inexpensive players...aka... Schmaltz

13 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

IMO Junior chemistry is overrated.  Players having success in junior could also just mean, that 2 talented player are miles beyond the average talent in junior.  No guarantee whatsoever that this will translate in the NHL.

Anyways, either teams laugh at these proposals and hang up. 

Anderson is young player who Torts seems to like very much.  No use of having an overpaid 4th liner and 4th rounder, Columbus will have enough problem signing their RFA and expiring ELC.

Chicago will get rid of Kruger and Van Riemsdyk to create cap space, they don't have the cap space for Sutter, nor would they waste it on him.  What Chicago needs are young inexpensive players...aka... Schmaltz

I agree there is no guarantee they would still have chemistry but Schmaltz and Boeser  played together only a year ago and Pettersson and Dahlen a month ago.

What Chicago needs is up for debate, they could easily buy out a player, expose a player, trade a player ....there's your cap space .

What Chicago wants is to win NOW, Sutter would help more at this point then Schmaltz would.

What do you think would be a good trade that CBJ would look at for Anderson?

1 hour ago, canuckmen84 said:

I agree there is no guarantee they would still have chemistry but Schmaltz and Boeser  played together only a year ago and Pettersson and Dahlen a month ago.

What Chicago needs is up for debate, they could easily buy out a player, expose a player, trade a player ....there's your cap space .

What Chicago wants is to win NOW, Sutter would help more at this point then Schmaltz would.

What do you think would be a good trade that CBJ would look at for Anderson?

Idk but I figure Anderson must have similar value to Grandlund for us.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-6-2 at 9:02 AM, canuckmen84 said:

Schmaltz and Boeser

Horvat and Anderson

Pettersson and Dahlen

Well based on what happened tonight i think it is clear that Benning values existing chemistry.

To be honest i was upset at first that we passed on Cody Glass but maybe Benning has the right idea here...he drafted Pettersson because of his existing chemistry with Dahlen and of course his skill.

So based on the direction our franhise seems to be heading and the fact Chicago has been on a trade frenzy i think we should go after Nick Schmaltz.

(To anyone that thinks Schmaltz is untouchable i say to you "was Panarin not thought to be untouchable"?)

What would it take now to acquire Schmaltz ? 

8 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

Well based on what happened tonight i think it is clear that Benning values existing chemistry.

To be honest i was upset at first that we passed on Cody Glass but maybe Benning has the right idea here...he drafted Pettersson because of his existing chemistry with Dahlen and of course his skill.

So based on the direction our franhise seems to be heading and the fact Chicago has been on a trade frenzy i think we should go after Nick Schmaltz.

(To anyone that thinks Schmaltz is untouchable i say to you "was Panarin not thought to be untouchable"?)

What would it take now to acquire Schmaltz ? 

Back in February McKenzie was adamant that Schmaltz was not available.  I don't see how he can be either re their cap struggles.  He is 925K for the next two seasons and will only get better as he is only 21.

Panarin was moved because of Hossa.  They needed someone to replace some of the elements he brought.  They also felt that they would not be able to sign Panarin to an extension in two seasons and Saad is under contract for longer.  Bowman was looking for some cost certainty.     

19 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

I know why they traded Panarin.

You can't say there isn't an offer out there that Chicago would not accept for Schmaltz, everyone has their price.

I could see Chicago having interest in Baertschi. They are a little weak on the left side and Baertschi is an affordable contract. Problem is Chicago doesn't really have any contracts they are trying to unload at the moment. The Hawks did just lose Hjalmarsson. Perhaps a Tanev and Baertschi for Schmaltz and Connor Murphy swap could work with picks coming to the canucks. Chicago will have a bit of cap space with Hossa going to LTIR and it would strengthen what is arguably Chicago's weakest positions

1 hour ago, HockeydownUnder said:

I could see Chicago having interest in Baertschi. They are a little weak on the left side and Baertschi is an affordable contract. Problem is Chicago doesn't really have any contracts they are trying to unload at the moment. The Hawks did just lose Hjalmarsson. Perhaps a Tanev and Baertschi for Schmaltz and Connor Murphy swap could work with picks coming to the canucks. Chicago will have a bit of cap space with Hossa going to LTIR and it would strengthen what is arguably Chicago's weakest positions

Saad is a LW.  Schmaltz played on Toews' line with Panik to finish the season.  Also: 

Galchenyuk, Boucher, Goldobin played together and lit the lamp big time in junior...year before, it was Galchenyuk and Yakapov.

Yakapov, Galchenyuk, Goldobin (Boucher)

This would be something to get the fans excited about compared to what we have now....no risk, no reward.

Plus they all have played in the NHL and are somewhat NHL ready. 

If Jimbo is looking off the board with his 1st picks in the draft to utilize chemistry, then this is somewhat on the same thinking as Burke had with the Sedins by utilizing existing chemistry.

Trade Tanev for Galchenyuk

Sign Yakapov as a UFA or give StL a late round pick in trade.

This is cheap price to get outstanding chemistry

Potential home run.

On 2017-6-2 at 9:37 AM, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Don't we already have a dynamic junior pair in Boucher and Goldobin?  Unlike Dejardins... maybe Green will try them together.  Assuming we sign Boucher?

add Galchenyuk and Yakapov; instant chemistry

Gadjovich and Palmu played together too (at least on the power play). 

Watching Gadjovich's highlight video, it seemed that Kevin Hancock was more instrumental in feeding him a lot of passes than Nick Suzuki.... and Hancock had more points than Gadjovich and was not even selected in the draft.   68GP with 30G and 55A = 85pts. 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=268928

He would have been a nice late round pick up - could have even traded a 2018 7th round pick to gain an extra 2017th 7th round pick to get him. 

I hope they keep an eye on him and see if he is worth a later pick next year.

Archived