The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

British & Irish Lions NZ Tour

elvis15

They already played this morning, but for those of you looking for a TV schedule:

Hearing this question more and more of late. No surprise there.

TSN has the rights. Tuesday, their public relations department sent me the following update:

“TSN will broadcast coverage of the 2017 British & Irish Lions matches, with fixtures airing on both TSN2 and TSN5. TSN will also deliver a slate of 2017 International Test matches in June, which will air on TSN2, TSN5, and TSN GO. We’re just in the process of completely finalizing this coverage at which point we’ll be updating our website to reflect this rugby schedule.”

Schedule — all kickoffs 7:35 p.m. NZT (12:35 a.m. PT)

June 3: vs. NZ Provincial Barbarians (Whangarei) TSN5

June 7: vs. Blues (Auckland) TSN2

June 10: vs. Crusaders (Christchurch) TSN5

June 13: vs. Highlanders (Dunedin) TSN2

June 17: vs. Maori All Blacks (Rotorua) TSN2

June 20: vs. Chiefs (Hamilton) TSN2

June 24: vs. All Blacks (Auckland) TSN2

June 27: vs. Hurricanes (Wellington) TSN2

July 1: vs. All Blacks (Wellington) TSN2

July 8: vs. All Blacks (Eden Park) TSN2

Other internationals

June 9: Australia vs. Fiji 10 p.m. TSN5

June 10: South Africa vs. France 8 a.m. TSN2

June 10: Argentina vs. England 12:15 p.m. TSN2

June 16: Australia vs. Scotland 10 p.m. TSN2

June 17: South Africa vs. France 8 a.m. TSN2

June 17: Argentina vs. England 12:15 p.m. TSN GO

June 23: Australia vs. Italy 10 p.m. TSN5

June 24: South Africa vs. France 8 a.m. TSN5

June 24: Argentina vs. Georgia 12:15 p.m. TSN GO

I was a bit peeved at the lack of Scots in the squad. We comfortably beat and outperformed Wales in the 6 Nations but only 3 Scots are picked compared to 12 Welsh? Gatland showing his bias a bit there I think.

The All Black's will win the series comfortably and probably sweep it though to be honest.

Too many Welsh probably, and that's coming as a fan of the Welsh and someone with Welsh heritage. I'll catch up to the game (busy today) later and stand to be corrected on their inclusion, but Kay and O'Driscoll talked it over and found it all pretty close.

I just saw the game in person yesterday my time.  I have to say, the Lions will have a hard time being competitive with the Super teams as well as the All Blacks if they come out to play with the mentality they showed yesterday.  Had big problems controlling play against what was basically a semi-pro team.  Still, I was here when they last toured, and I'm looking forward to seeing some new talent emerge (still remember Dan Carter bursting onto the scene during the last tour). 

Even with the Lions teams, they tend to have that English flair - by which I mean they play a little too straightforward and controlled. The Southern Hemisphere teams and NZ in particular tend to lean more to creative play, but do so within a structure that allows for that creativity. We saw a bit of that in the game, although the Lions success did come from some of their straightforward play. That play also let them down when they relied upon it too much. Hopefully we'll see a bit more expansive and creative play, and not just relying on physicality and positional dominance.

Better game from the Lions against the Blues, but they lacked finish after showing impressive possession and bumping the ball up field 5m at a time. I didn't particularly like the ref (he left both sides confused at the breakdowns) but a great finally try by the Blues was the deserved difference. That, and what the hell was Marler thinking with the extra crawl, and if they can't figure out a lineout in front of the line for the final play then it's on them for why they lost.

• 2 weeks later...

No kidding! Early try to start it then one to finish it as well. Definitely a deserved win.

Much better game for the Lions as well, and the Maori never got a foothold with massive deficits in possession and territory numbers. Like 70% to 30% (actually more) in both categories in favour of the Lions. Combine that with a penalty try for the Lions after destroying the Maori scrum and it was a bit of a lopsided affair.

Archived