The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 18 Thread

MusclePharm

Year 3 of Van be a gm and Demko injured with groin pull recovers enough to beback in lineup, leave him as backup to be safe after I beat Edmonton in game  5 to win series with Nilsson in net. Message pops up Thatcher Demko injured with pulled groin estimated return June 15... how the f do you pull a groin sitting on the bench all game?????

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-07-14 at 11:02 PM, canuck73_3 said:

Year 3 of Van be a gm and Demko injured with groin pull recovers enough to beback in lineup, leave him as backup to be safe after I beat Edmonton in game  5 to win series with Nilsson in net. Message pops up Thatcher Demko injured with pulled groin estimated return June 15... how the f do you pull a groin sitting on the bench all game?????

That's rough. I had to turn the stupid morale system off. My players kept getting moody and losing overall points when I sat them until they were healthy.

I had to sit hank after his injury for 2 games and he dropped to a 79 and never returned to his old overall. 

Next time he got hurt I put him in after a 5 week injury and he got hurt again for 6 weeks lol. You can't win with the player feelings involved it doesn't know when you are just resting a player after an injury.

In my Ottawa be a gm I couldn't even trade Craig Anderson with half his salary retained. I tried even overpaying with a second round pick nothing. So I waived him, he went unclaimed.

Now he's my AHL starting netminder with an .886% save percentage because he's terrible even as an 82.

I went out and acquired stolarz as my backup with Condon. Then opted to move Condon, a good prospect and a 1st for Lundqvist.  Its a high price but the Rangers struggled to start the year (I updated rosters at deadline) so essentially next years team.

Burrows is also immovable. I'm debating waiving him since he has been a healthy scratch for the last month.  I also need to clear out one contract as I am at 48/50 contracts and have 3 UFAs signings for my farm team.

My AHL team was getting massacred so I had to upgrade my team in almost every area. I'm hoping Anderson can become a steady influence for the remainder of the year.

Anderson was given a new extension that kicks in next year. I may have to buy him out next off season if he doesn't improve. X_X I also signed a 24 yr old AHL potential starter 74 OA but since Anderson was dumped to the A he's kinda stuck in the 2 hole.  

How long do you have to wait in be a gm to trade an asset you signed in free agency without ruining your reputation?

• 1 month later...

2017/2018 very dead last in the League, I decide in January to stockpiling picks and trade everyone with a little bit of a trade value.

2018/2019 Run to the Finals, lost 1-4 to PIT. 2019/20 - 2021/2022 won 3 Cups in a row. First and second Cup against Pens 4-3 & 4-1 and the third Cup with a sweep over OTT.

My Line-Up 2022/2023

Virtanen (A, 86) - Horvat (C, 92) - Rantanen (90)***

Dahlen (85) - Pettersson (90) - Lind (A, 82)

Marcoux (83)* - Gaudette (80) - Burakovsky (84)***

Gadjovich (80) - Murray (79)* - Nordgren (80)*

MacLellan (80)**, Chytil (79)***, Hlinka (80)**, Cooke (79)*, Caron (79)*, Methot (77)*

Juolevi (91) - Dahlin (91)*

Pouliot (85) - Foote (83)**

Stoner (79)* - Bouchard (79)*

Gunnarsson (76)*, Nieuwendyk (77)*

Demko (92)

DiPietro (82)

*Draft

**FA Signing

***Trade

Draft Nordgren 2018 2nd round, in his 1st NHL season (2021/22) he was my best PO scorer with 15P (as a 3rd liner) behind JV18 with 21P :ph34r:

Marcoux 2021 (at 94), Cooke 2021 (at 156), Caron 2021 (at 102) , Stoner 2021 (at 125) and Methot 2021 (at 63).. this was my best Draft ever in NHL and I gave up my 1st and 3rd round Pick to sign Callan Foote at $4.3/6y :bigblush:

Have signed all core players in long-term. Need to re-sign Bo, Dahlen and Nordgren next off-season. $4.5 Cap-Space at the moment. 

On 8/28/2018 at 11:11 AM, Cocolocci said:

2017/2018 very dead last in the League, I decide in January to stockpiling picks and trade everyone with a little bit of a trade value.

2018/2019 Run to the Finals, lost 1-4 to PIT. 2019/20 - 2021/2022 won 3 Cups in a row. First and second Cup against Pens 4-3 & 4-1 and the third Cup with a sweep over OTT.

My Line-Up 2022/2023

Virtanen (A, 86) - Horvat (C, 92) - Rantanen (90)***

Dahlen (85) - Pettersson (90) - Lind (A, 82)

Marcoux (83)* - Gaudette (80) - Burakovsky (84)***

Gadjovich (80) - Murray (79)* - Nordgren (80)*

MacLellan (80)**, Chytil (79)***, Hlinka (80)**, Cooke (79)*, Caron (79)*, Methot (77)*

Juolevi (91) - Dahlin (91)*

Pouliot (85) - Foote (83)**

Stoner (79)* - Bouchard (79)*

Gunnarsson (76)*, Nieuwendyk (77)*

Demko (92)

DiPietro (82)

*Draft

**FA Signing

***Trade

Draft Nordgren 2018 2nd round, in his 1st NHL season (2021/22) he was my best PO scorer with 15P (as a 3rd liner) behind JV18 with 21P :ph34r:

Marcoux 2021 (at 94), Cooke 2021 (at 156), Caron 2021 (at 102) , Stoner 2021 (at 125) and Methot 2021 (at 63).. this was my best Draft ever in NHL and I gave up my 1st and 3rd round Pick to sign Callan Foote at $4.3/6y :bigblush:

Have signed all core players in long-term. Need to re-sign Bo, Dahlen and Nordgren next off-season. $4.5 Cap-Space at the moment. 

You traded Boeser? ballsy :D

i did a Seattle expansion team...2 years of stockpiling draft picks. and then also had $$ to sign free agents like Barkov (92) and Morgan Reilly (93)

2025 now and just won 2nd straight cup

13 hours ago, abbyroadkill said:

i did a Seattle expansion team...2 years of stockpiling draft picks. and then also had $$ to sign free agents like Barkov (92) and Morgan Reilly (93)

Yes :unsure: but his morale going down and my locker room chemistry were under 65. His OA rating felt down from 90 to 84 :wacko:

Rantanen +2nd +2nd +3rd for Boeser + 2nd +2 Prospects. My chemistry now is 82. And Boeser scores 68 goals for the AVS :o

On 8/29/2018 at 1:54 PM, abbyroadkill said:

Nicely done.

I just did my first sim as Anaheim. I moved Getzlaf to Chicago and they somehow lost a ton. I ended up with the 5th (ANA), 6th (CHI), 24th (CBJ), and 33rd (ANA)

I combined the 6th + Nick Ritchie + 2 Thirds and a 4th for Svechnikov. 
Then I grabbed a EA generated Goalie top 10 rating who ended up being a Med Elite Goalie.

Then I moved up from 24th to 17th by packaging Maroon to St Louis where I selected a Med Elite Russian C.

Then I had STL offer me WPG's 1st 25th overall for Ryan Kesler. So I took it and drafted a "High Top 6 Winger" who ended up being Med Elite LOL.

then I used my 33rd overall on a projected "Med Top 4" D man who also ended up being a Med Elite Left handed D.

I ended up getting 5 Med Elite players in 5 picks I had in the first 33 selections.  Only one other elite was taken outside of the guys at the top of the class.

I also grabbed a Med Top 6 Forward and 5 Top 9 Forwards. As well as a Starter who was named Rintoul who I had to get because of Scotty Rintoul. I flipped Rintoul who was a 4th round pick for a 2nd and 3rd at the 2019 deadline upon a teams request. I have 3 firsts, 2 seconds, and 3 thirds in the 2019 draft but the class is weak and I may need to trade for some 2020 picks as ANA was short on some.

2nd Overall Svechnikov 78OA (Med Elite LW)

5th Overall Moen 58OA (Med Elite G)

17th Overall Sadikov 53OA (Med Elite C)

25th Overall Anisimov 53OA (Med Elite LW)

33rd Overall forgethisname 53OA (Med Elite D)

Pretty good luck in my first "simmed draft". Lol. Usually, I just get junk like top 9 F's or top 6 D.

my Ducks are in currently 3 games up on Edmonton in round 1. Just lost out to winning the division when I lost to Vegas in the final game of the season.

I signed Joe Thornton 10.25M, Carlson 7.2M, Stasny 5M, Grabner 4M, C.Hutton 3.5M, and Hartnell 1.5M in free agency.

My current team is 

Grabner Thornton Silverberg

Stasny DeBrincat Svechnikov   (got DeBrincat in the Getzlaf deal along with a Hossa, 2 first, and a second)

Steel  Henrique  Kase

Hartnell  Hudon  Letestu

Lindholm Carlson

Fowler  Mason

G.Carlsson Montour

Gibson

Hutton

We went from second to last in the standings to a top team in 1 season due to the free agent signings. Sadikov is in the AHL he's gone from a 53 to a 72 and is helping the Gulls in the playoffs. He actually got the GWG in their third game to sweep the series.

18 hours ago, Cocolocci said:

Yes :unsure: but his morale going down and my locker room chemistry were under 65. His OA rating felt down from 90 to 84 :wacko:

Rantanen +2nd +2nd +3rd for Boeser + 2nd +2 Prospects. My chemistry now is 82. And Boeser scores 68 goals for the AVS :o

I can't do the morale system anymore. It is too inconsistent lol. If I scratch a guy because he's still hurt he gets mad and loses value. I had Hank do that to me after I sat him for 2 games. The next time I brought him back in after his injury and he got hurt again for 4 months lol. it's counterproductive.

A defender I was tracking as a first round selection just jumped into the top 10.

Do you guys know what it means when there is 7 top 5 guys and 9 additional top 10 players projected by the game?

That is 16 bodies for 10 spots. Does that mean there is no concenus or will it sort itself out?

On 8/30/2018 at 9:24 PM, Rush17 said:

I can't do the morale system anymore. It is too inconsistent lol. If I scratch a guy because he's still hurt he gets mad and loses value. I had Hank do that to me after I sat him for 2 games. The next time I brought him back in after his injury and he got hurt again for 4 months lol. it's counterproductive.

yeh. my team was a bunch of whiners. Barkov and Dylan Strome asked to be traded. and morale was at like 34 and in simmed games i was about 15-40 W/L

so i traded them. dunno how that happens. 2 years after we win 2 Cups. whatevs...rebuild again :D

On 8/30/2018 at 9:22 PM, Rush17 said:

Nicely done.

I just did my first sim as Anaheim. I moved Getzlaf to Chicago and they somehow lost a ton. I ended up with the 5th (ANA), 6th (CHI), 24th (CBJ), and 33rd (ANA)

I combined the 6th + Nick Ritchie + 2 Thirds and a 4th for Svechnikov. 
Then I grabbed a EA generated Goalie top 10 rating who ended up being a Med Elite Goalie.

Then I moved up from 24th to 17th by packaging Maroon to St Louis where I selected a Med Elite Russian C.

Then I had STL offer me WPG's 1st 25th overall for Ryan Kesler. So I took it and drafted a "High Top 6 Winger" who ended up being Med Elite LOL.

then I used my 33rd overall on a projected "Med Top 4" D man who also ended up being a Med Elite Left handed D.

I ended up getting 5 Med Elite players in 5 picks I had in the first 33 selections.  Only one other elite was taken outside of the guys at the top of the class.

I also grabbed a Med Top 6 Forward and 5 Top 9 Forwards. As well as a Starter who was named Rintoul who I had to get because of Scotty Rintoul. I flipped Rintoul who was a 4th round pick for a 2nd and 3rd at the 2019 deadline upon a teams request. I have 3 firsts, 2 seconds, and 3 thirds in the 2019 draft but the class is weak and I may need to trade for some 2020 picks as ANA was short on some.

Pretty good luck in my first "simmed draft". Lol. Usually, I just get junk like top 9 F's or top 6 D.

great drafting dude !!! and, yeah, kinda lucky but whatever. take it

12 hours ago, abbyroadkill said:

great drafting dude !!! and, yeah, kinda lucky but whatever. take it

Yeah, it was my first real successful draft. Some guy on youtube recommended scouting in every position in every region. I tried that and managed to luck out in what was a very good draft. Only 1 of the 5 have improved significantly so far but I'm sure I'll see more changes in the off-season.  I'm up against SJS and Corey Perry next. :)

Sadikov is a 72 now playing on my top AHL line.  I put him there to help him grow will see if it helps lol. He spent all season on the 4th line of that team.

12 hours ago, abbyroadkill said:

yeh. my team was a bunch of whiners. Barkov and Dylan Strome asked to be traded. and morale was at like 34 and in simmed games i was about 15-40 W/L

so i traded them. dunno how that happens. 2 years after we win 2 Cups. whatevs...rebuild again :D

That is rough lol. Yeah, the system is too random for my liking. For my current season, I actually turned off all ownership settings.. man its nice not having to deal with pricing, budgets, etc. The only thing I have to do is scout and do building maintenance so its a little more straightforward.

On 8/30/2018 at 10:22 PM, Rush17 said:

Pretty good luck in my first draft. Lol. Usually, I just get junk like top 9 F's or top 6 D.

my Ducks are in currently 3 games up on Edmonton in round 1. Just lost out to winning the division when I lost to Vegas in the final game of the season.

I signed Joe Thornton 10.25M, Carlson 7.2M, Stasny 5M, Grabner 4M, C.Hutton 3.5M, and Hartnell 1.5M in free agency.

My current team is 

Stasny DeBrincat Svechnikov   (got DeBrincat in the Getzlaf deal along with a Hossa, 2 first, and a second)

Steel  Henrique  Kase

Hartnell  Hudon  Letestu

Lindholm Carlson

Fowler  Mason

G.Carlsson Montour

Gibson

Hutton

We went from second to last in the standings to a top team in 1 season due to the free agent signings. Sadikov is in the AHL he's gone from a 53 to a 72 and is helping the Gulls in the playoffs. He actually got the GWG in their third game to sweep the series.

I followed this draft up with a TERRible draft performance. Best prospect I got was a top 9 potential forward in the third round a low elite in the 4th.

I won the cup though. :) of course.  Thornton, Henrique, and Silverberg all asked for insane amounts of money. I  overpaid for Silverberg since he was my team's playoff MVP. Surprisingly enough Svech appears to be busting according to EA. I drafted him at 77 OA and after nearly a PPG pace in the playoffs, he is only 79 OA. Yet my 17th OA Elite C who started as a 57 on my AHL's fourth line. Finished out the season on my NHL team's 4th line in the cup final. He is now a 75 OA. So confused. Maybe Svech needs more time?

Playoff Final lineup

Steel Stasny Debrincat

Henrique Svechnikov Kase

Sadikov Hudon Letestu (Sad is 17OA from 2018 draft)

same D and G as listed above.

We defeated Columbus in the final. Unfortunately for The Blue Jackets Panarin and Bob walked at the season's end. Thankfully Panarin signed with my team (ANA) for 7.975M for 7 years. This kind of reduces the loss of Big Joe and Henrique. Now in pre-season I have:

Silverberg (83) Debrincat (83) Panarin (89)

Steel (81) Stasny (82) Svechnikov (79)

Grabner (81) Hudon (81) Kase (80)

M. Jones (79) Sadikov (75) Terry (79)

Scratches Kerdines (79) - A significantly worse team than the year before upfront. (90 OFC, 96 DEF, 93G last season)

Lindholm (88) Carlson (89)

Fowler (86) Tanev (84) - traded for Tanev over Manson as he kept getting pinned in the D zone and kept taking stupid penalties.

G. Carlsson (82) Montour (82)

Scratches: Larsson (82) (Gabriel Carlsson and Larsson are both 82 OA's Carlsson is a Med Top 4 and Larsson is a low elite. Will need to decide how to proceed.)

Gibson (89)

Miller (83) I re-signed Miller after trading Hutton to Calgary along with a 2019 2nd for their 2020 1st.

Also an interesting note.. I saw a free agent sign and trade by a CPU GM. Very surprised. Stralman was inked in MIN for 5M a season than instantly flipped to MTL for their 2020 first and Kale Fluery Lol. I have never seen a GM do it. It is after all bad for your reputation. I haven't played a game yet to see what the team's OA's are this season. We got a stacked farm team though. My Gulls were up 3-1 on the Calgary's team the Heat. We lost though in 7. They then went on to win the Calder Cup.  I am holding off on buying 2019 until it comes on sale closer to Christmas. Besides I am too invested in this franchise mode to this point.

The top line of Grabner Thornton and Silverberg largely carried this squad in the playoffs. Kase and Steel helped a lot in the first round as well. Stasny's 2nd line was probably the most effective vs Columbus in the finals. If anyone has any advice. Should I trade G. Carlsson since he's med top 4? or should I just move Montour and keep him and Larsson since they are both younger? (I had just inked G. Carlsson to a 4.25 M - 5-year extension in the cup finals.) I guess cap complications could determine a lot. I'm not sure what Larsson is going to cost though when his contract is up. I have 7M in free cap space. Silverberg may have to be moved before the end of his 2 year 5.8M dollar deal expires. Probably next off-season.

Archived